Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: City in a box  (Read 572 times)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
City in a box
« on: August 11, 2021, 02:40:30 PM »
Looking at all the huge buildings, cityscapes and other massive terrain pieces on this forum, I'm insanely jealous of the available storage space of the builders of those terrain pieces.
Unfortunately I have limited space available and am always looking for ways to fit more stuff in the limited storage space I have. I really liked Tereydavi's post about fold-flat-papercraft buildings (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=130820)

For ruined buildings I however rather use other materials instead of papercraft (the walls are too thin for my taste).
For a recent game I dug up my old ruined city buildings. For these I had to work out a way to fit them into my storage space and I had the idea of first buying the box (that fits in my storage space) and then building a set of modular buildings to fit in the box. I thought I'd share it here and hope it is helpful for other storage space unfortunates.

The city on the table:

Deconstructed building:

The city in the box:

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2021/08/city-in-box.html

T.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Re: City in a box
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
Very cool, looks like you executed on the modular vision pretty well! My only concern would be how they hold up long term to repeated setup and teardown.  Though I guess that goes for "normal" terrain too.  lol

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: City in a box
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 05:31:01 PM »
I love these projects and I have really tried to squeeze my terrain collections into easily stored spaces as well. I don't (yet?) have infinite space for storing my collection of things, so I've really worked hard to tightly pack into the space I have rather than expand beyond that point. I'm not to the point where I'm ready to flat pack terrain, but I do design with the idea that things have to stack, fit a certain box, or nest inside something else. Starting a project usually begins with "what size space do I have open? in this storage container?"

Great work there. The ruined buildings look great on top of being storage-friendly. For foam buildings I would suggest a coating of spackle/PVA as it both covers some of the foam ball look (not necessary, but a nice touch) and creates a hard shell so the foam bits don't get snagged or damaged during storage and play. That extra durability is priceless for terrain that will go in and out of a box on a regular basis.