Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Vixens from Mars - Anyone play or tried it?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Space Vixens from Mars - Anyone play or tried it?
« on: August 13, 2021, 01:40:55 PM »
Space Vixens from Mars - Anyone play or tried it?

I recently brought the Anthology which not only contains a set of stories about said Vixens it also contains the skirmish and space combat rules so extremely good value.

I have played it at a couple of Salutes, with the games creator I suspect.
And I have since brought and painted up a set of Vixens.

I was wondering if anyone else has played, read or painted?

Cheers and thanks

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Space Vixens from Mars - Anyone play or tried it?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »

I was wondering if anyone else has played, read or painted?

I've painted a fair number of their (ahem) "Rim Aliens" for customers in years past and I'm dimly aware of their own setting and the figure ranges for it, but never played or even seen their rules.  Quite a lot of their figs (outside of the Star Trek knockoffs) would be great for retro-scifi gaming, honestly kind of surprised they don't get more chat and screen time just based on that alone.  They're also the only company I know of that makes figs of both J. H. Christ and the Beatles (who are doubtless the more popular of the two listings), which is pretty noteworthy.

Their starship figure pages are just maddening, though.  Many of the listings have no image at all, and the ones that do are blurry, poorly lit single-angle shots that make the models look like they were sculpted from Play-dough.  It's like they're trying to actively discourage people from buying ships from them. 

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 08:18:38 PM »
I've painted a fair number of their (ahem) "Rim Aliens" for customers in years past and I'm dimly aware of their own setting and the figure ranges for it, but never played or even seen their rules.  Quite a lot of their figs (outside of the Star Trek knockoffs) would be great for retro-scifi gaming, honestly kind of surprised they don't get more chat and screen time just based on that alone.  They're also the only company I know of that makes figs of both J. H. Christ and the Beatles (who are doubtless the more popular of the two listings), which is pretty noteworthy.

Their starship figure pages are just maddening, though.  Many of the listings have no image at all, and the ones that do are blurry, poorly lit single-angle shots that make the models look like they were sculpted from Play-dough.  It's like they're trying to actively discourage people from buying ships from them.

Thanks, yes I have painted a set of not-Beatles for a friend of mine and I also have all of the Rim aliens but apart from seeing the game put on at Salutes for many a year, there is very little mention of it. Which is a shame I feel.

Still may buy the Amazon ship though? Play-doh or not lol

Cheers

Glen

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »
Still may buy the Amazon ship though? Play-doh or not lol

Well, maybe.  For all I know their ship minis may be incredibly detailed and awesome.  Shame the catalog photos make it impossible to tell.   :?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Well, maybe.  For all I know their ship minis may be incredibly detailed and awesome.  Shame the catalog photos make it impossible to tell.   :?

Quite happy with the other minis, so I might take the punt on the ship, if I do, I will let you know OK!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 07:52:32 AM »
Well I caved and as I am a sucker for rules books (3) so I ordered them.

A couple of minis as well and a ship "The Amazon".

I will let you know what it is like.

Plus I saw Gary Mitchells last posts on this very forum was around 10 years ago :(

Glen

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
Well I caved and as I am a sucker for rules books (3) so I ordered them.

A couple of minis as well and a ship "The Amazon".

I will let you know what it is like.

Plus I saw Gary Mitchells last posts on this very forum was around 10 years ago :(

Glen

I admit I'm curious, so looking forward to seeing your review - and some decent photos of the the signature ship (which looks interesting in the artwork, anyway).  :)

IIRC Mitchells (or at least someone connected to Space Vixens) used to be quite active on TMP, but that was well over a decade ago as well.  Don't recall seeing him post here as much even back then.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
I admit I'm curious, so looking forward to seeing your review - and some decent photos of the the signature ship (which looks interesting in the artwork, anyway).  :)

IIRC Mitchells (or at least someone connected to Space Vixens) used to be quite active on TMP, but that was well over a decade ago as well.  Don't recall seeing him post here as much even back then.

No worries, lets see what I can do?

I actually had a short email conservation with Gary Mitchell today, about that very subject.

I think he has become slightly despondant due to the fact that to devlop and market SVFM would require a lot more money and I suspect time, than he actually has. With the end result of the game sort of limping along like it does now.

I rather like the slightly silly, sightly whimsical and very cheekyness of the game universe, it's so refreshing from the usual grimdark and other sorts of dystopia you normally get.

Still onwards and upwards

Glen