Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions regarding ancient armour  (Read 534 times)

Offline Plisken

• Assistant
Questions regarding ancient armour
« on: August 12, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »
I'm working on a project where I've been kit bashing various plastic ancient kits to create heroes and adventurers in a late Bronze Age setting... and  while that might ordinarily mean I'm posting in the wrong area I want to get input from the experts in the history or the equipment represented in base kits I'm using. Just a few questions on a couple of items to help me ground the fantasy in real history and help me to decide how to paint things. I want to start with real and make any fantasy divergences from that. I have a feeling that there's not enough archeological evidence to be certain on some things and if answers are whatever seems most likely from what evidence we have that's cool.

Padded Armour? Many of the models in the Persian kits, both Victrix and Wargames Atlantic, are wearing what appear to be quilted, padded tunics. My best guess reference to this would be that it's like a medieval gambeson. For my painting purposes, might the outer shell be leather or would it be cloth (linen or whatever)? Is it a sleeveless or are the unpadded sleeves a part of it? Is the skirt attached and likely the same fabric? Is the skirt a solid skirt with vertical padding or is it pteruges?

Cuir bouilli? Did anyone make any armour (cuirasses, greaves, braces, even helmets) that might have traditionally been bronze from leather or is boiled leather too medieval?

Linothorax? Was this type of armour always made of layers of linen (as the name implies) or was leather used to create it ever? It seems like nomadic types might have an easier time with herding cattle than growing linen... but I guess those nomads didn't craft linothorax?

Offline williamb

• Librarian
Re: Questions regarding ancient armour
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:48:47 PM »
This book cover shows some of the armor types you are asking about.  Scale armor (small metal plates like fish scales) was fairly common.https://www.scribd.com/document/233332365/Achaemenid-Persian-Army-Montvert
There is another book from the same publisher with some information on central Asian horse tribes.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/77252605/The-Armies-of-Bactria-700-BC-450-AD

I am only aware of metal greaves, either strapped on or sprung on.  There were leather strips hanging from the waist and possibly molded leather cuirass.  Monument figures that were one time thought to have leather armor are now believed to have had metal armor painted on them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 12:05:13 AM by williamb »