Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:58:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish / update 02.06.23  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
We recently tried out Baron’s War and really enjoyed it. Triggered by that and inspired Captain Blood’s illustrious adventures (here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=44353.0 and here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121380.0) I decided to give Fireforge miniatures a go along with some Perry and GW bits.

Fireforge aren’t perfect but better than advertised, at least after first impressions. The only downside were some broken weapons upon delivery that obviously were too fiddly (maybe got tangled up between dories?). Most of all I like building plastic miniatures and the variety that gives me. And I didn’t find any metal miniatures that had all I wanted (not to mention the price).

So what’s the plan? Baron’s War uses small groups of miniatures (knights, sergeants, spearmen etc. plus characters). However I will be building and painting small retinues of one knight plus followers that will be distributed rules wise later. The retinues will be of different sizes, ideally with a little Motto to go along. See inspiration by Captain Blood above.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:21:28 PM by Warboss Nick »

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
For starters here’s Hartmut zu Tatzenstein-Waldmann (Pawstone from the Woods), a lesser noble and liege to Freiherrn Nikolaus zu Wölflingen-Schafsheim (Baron Wolfington-Sheepsham). Hartmut’s fief consists of extensive woodlands that he cares for and  protects with his retinue. Rumours have it that he clashes frequently with Gundolf von Hirschfang, another knight who regards these backwoods as his hunting grounds.

Here we have Hartmut zu Tatzenstein-Waldmann with his trusted sergeant Arolf Waldmann (who is an orphaned son of distant relatives), both mounted and in foot.

Hartmut is further accompanied by three bowmen and two spearmen (one of them from the local levy).

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »
Great stuff,  I look forward to your progress

About to start mine for the war in Brittany, Normandy and Maine when Arthur of Brittany and John Lackland fought for the crown of England, Maine, Anjou, Brittany, Aquitaine, and Normandy.

Cheers
Matt

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:43:39 AM »
Looks like an interesting start, I’d like to see how those Fireforge figures work out.

Not least because:

About to start mine for the war in Brittany, Normandy and Maine when Arthur of Brittany and John Lackland fought for the crown of England, Maine, Anjou, Brittany, Aquitaine, and Normandy.

I’m finally about to start the same project with all my Footsore Kickstarter figures :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »
Thanks @bluewillow and levied!

Finally finished painting the retinue of Hartmut von Tatzenstein-Waldmann. I tried to reflect the name (“pawstone from the woods) in the livery.

Offline rafm3ic

• Assistant
Re: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish / update sept 10th
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 07:43:16 PM »
That looks like a great start!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »
Nice work, I like the livery

These remind me that I have a pile of under-coated Fireforge figures for a crusades project.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Looking good.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »
They look great! Do you also want to post the retinue list?  :)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
Thanks everyone! I don’t have a retinue list yet, as I focus on building and painting small groups right now. While I have a Rough idea of how that may play out I don’t really worry about that right now.

So here’s the next retinue, consisting just of Heribert von Löwenstein along with a sergeant and a spearman. The livery might not be to everyone’s taste, but I fancied doing something different. I thought the black decals would come out stronger, but decided against changing them. The peasant woman just happened to fit in along them.

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Re: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish / update 27/09
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 08:16:37 PM »
I like it! Really striking colour.

They are in good company with the Bavarian foot, Polish lancers, Persian warriors and... (oh gawd, why did we?)...Chelsea 3rd kit.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish / update 27/09
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »
Thank you @Ranthony !

I‘m not necessarily methodical with my building efforts. The good thing is that it’s easier to fit into tight timeframes. So with some already built miniatures I now give you Friedhelm zu Stierhorn-Elzbach, another lesser knight. This time there are mounted and dismounted versions of the knight and sergeant again. They are accompanied by a spearman and a bowman.

I also have three more levies sitting on the side. Not sure yet if the will get a bit of livery (like the fellow in the first retinue) or if I should give them a more generic paintjob.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Re: Nick’s Baron’s War - high medieval skirmish / update Oct 3rd
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 03:19:36 PM »

They look great in my 'umble opinion. I once read that, far from being pansy/girly, at one time pink was considered a very martial colour, just can't remember why though?
Having said that, the formidable milkmaid, looks more intimidating than Nora Batty!

:-*
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 03:22:17 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 03:36:19 PM »
I’ve made slow but steady progress with this project and finally got round to taking some new pictures.

First I present you Friedhelm zu Stierhorn-Elzbach (Bullhorn upon Elz Creek) and his men. Nothing fancy here, a simple but effective livery. Unfortunately I forgot to add mail with greenstuff to the arms of the knight in foot, but it will have to do.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 03:43:05 PM »
Next up Gundolf von Hirschfang (deer catch). As an avid hunter he has a long standing feud with Hartmut zu Tatzenstein-Waldmann (see above). The theme for this retinue were crossbows. Even the sergeant got one if only for looks. No decals this time so please bear with me on the heraldry.