Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Rogue Stars] Pirates vs Mercenaries gameplay  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Logus Vile

• Assistant
[Rogue Stars] Pirates vs Mercenaries gameplay
« on: August 16, 2021, 04:28:04 AM »
Just in time for the death of the sub forum, I put out a video of a session I had a couple weeks ago!

I made a very simple randomized enemy activation system based on how much stress each model had which kept me from knowing which enemy would activate at any given time. Then I would do what would be best for that model. Reactions were always with the model closest to the model that failed its activation.

It's Pirates vs Mercenaries and I'm using Infinity models for Pirates and Gears of War Locust models from the out of print board game from Fantasy Flight Games for the Mercernaries. The Locust are playing bodyguards while the Pirates are on an assassination mission. I rolled the "personal" complication meaning that Morlock (Pirates) and Kantus (Mercenaries) have an old grudge against each other and all they want to do is fight each other.

If you're interested in watching these two teams duke it out, have a watch. If you do, thank you and enjoy!

Can't seem to figure out how to embed videos so here's a link: EDIT: nevermind, seems I figured it out.
https://youtu.be/9CNjeIOYcJQ

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: [Rogue Stars] Pirates vs Mercenaries gameplay
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
Nice to see some Rogue Stars content, but I have to admit the vid was fairly confusing to watch.  The narration gets way out sync with the actions happening on screen and I kept losing track of who was doing what.  The die roll displays helped a bit, but I can see where someone unfamiliar with the system would be totally lost in short order.  Nice production values and a good table setup, though.

Out of curiosity, why the "double trait bonus" house rule?   

Offline Logus Vile

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »
The video definitely isn't for someone who doesn't know the game that's for sure. I just wanted to keep the action going, focus on the narrative and not really trying to explain the game mechanics too much as I figured if you really wanted to you can pause the video to analyze some of the rolls and there are probably videos out there explaining them already.

Thank you for taking the time to watch and for the comments. It'll help me improve next time to avoid some of the confusion. That's not something I want.

I doubled it because a 5% bonus on a +1 doesn't seem like a strong enough bonus to me. So I changed it from 5%, 10%, 15% to 10%, 20%, 30%. That way it could influence the d20 more significantly than it does RAW. I was playing with these teams for the first time so they only had starting builds. I'd like to see the level 3 traits in action too at some point.

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 10:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the video. I'm interested in SF skirmish games generally, and just started to look over Rogue Stars. I'm now using your video as a way to work myself through the rules.

I hope you continue to post your games. Could you go into a bit more detail on the enemy activation scheme you use?

Offline Logus Vile

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 03:08:50 AM »
Thanks for having a look at the video. Hopefully, it gives you a sense of the game and you can pause each roll to analyze the modifiers that were accounted for. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

As for the AI... It's only for activation and reaction selection. It doesn't actually decide what they do.

So, if it's a reaction I always activate the closest enemy model to the player model that failed their activation test. I generally have them do something to impede what I was trying to do.

When I've accumulated 6+ stress/pins/wounds, I rolled a d20 and on 15+ the enemy tried to take initiative. On 8+ stress/pins/wounds, they always try to take initiative as the first reaction.

When they have activation, it's a little more complicated, but I created a table with 4 options. So you can roll d4 (or use a deck of cards) and the options were:
- closest model to the last player model that activated;
- model with least amount of stress;
- Model closest to the Objective;
- Model closest to an enemy

Tie breaker: least amount of stress.

And then number of dice rolled: 0-1 stress roll 3 activation dice; 2-3 stress roll 2 activation dice and 4+ stress roll 1 activation die.

Then I would just do what was in their best interest.

It's a not a full on automated AI system but it did mean that when the enemy had the initiative I didn't know beforehand which enemy model would activate. That would keep me from trying to guess what would be best for the AI during my turn and so I concentrated on what my team wanted to do instead. Hopefully, that makes sense.

I have some more videos coming. I'm currently working on Horizon Wars Zero Dark which is also a sci-fi skirmish game and includes an AI system as part of the rules. My first video was the start to a Chrome Hammer Ascension campaign which is in the same genre.

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 03:47:46 AM »
Thanks for the details on your solo scheme. They seem solid and I'll keep them in mind for later.

I went over the video and it made it so much easier to understand how the rules fit together. There was still a lot of going back and forth through the rulebook, but I think I have have a good handle on them now.

One thing that might help in the future would be to list all the traits of each figure, along with their character card shown at the beginning. At first I was wondering why I couldn't come up with the same XP values.

Coincidentally I'm also looking over the Horizon Zero Dark rule set. I look forward to your next video on that when you get it out!

Offline Logus Vile

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 04:42:41 AM »
I'm glad the video could help.

You're right about the traits thing. I meant to add them and at one point I did. However, when I was messing around the graphics I arranged them in a way without them and then never went back. It was definitely an oversight as I did show the full characters in my previous Chrome Hammer Ascension video.

You can find the character sheets here if it helps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DNKxpe31rB6tYcwEQIcYjUFzq7NkznM_?usp=sharing

Offline Kontuz

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 04:55:22 AM »
You can find the character sheets here if it helps:

I've downloaded them, thanks for sharing.
Your use of graphics is pretty skillful!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »
What a fabulous video. 

The Gears of War figures from the board game are nice models as, of course, are the Infinity guys and gals and the terrain and paint jobs are great too.

The narration and pop up target vs results overlays are (with judicious use of pause) clear and concise and it is all very professional.

I like Rogue Stars.  It is fiddly, true, but it gives a great narrative and a satisfyingly crunchy game.

It's a long time since I've played but I am now inspired and shall have to get it out for a spin.

I'll try your AI system which also looks rather good.

Thanks

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 11:55:22 AM »
I like Rogue Stars.  It is fiddly, true, but it gives a great narrative and a satisfyingly crunchy game.

Agreed, although for me the selling point was the immense variety of very different figures and crews you could build.  Really the sky's the limit for crazy ideas - the last one I was working on before the pandemic killed the community around here was a trio of smaller models riding a fourth one based off a D&D behir (think 12-legged serpent-dinosaur hybrid if that's Greek to you).  Can't do that in Stargrave.

Farthest Star comes pretty darn close, though.

Offline Logus Vile

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 02:59:10 AM »
I've downloaded them, thanks for sharing.
Your use of graphics is pretty skillful!

Thank you. I hope they are of use to you. I actually just added the generic photoshop file you can use to fill out your own characters if that is of use to you.

What a fabulous video. 

The Gears of War figures from the board game are nice models as, of course, are the Infinity guys and gals and the terrain and paint jobs are great too.

The narration and pop up target vs results overlays are (with judicious use of pause) clear and concise and it is all very professional.

Thanks you! My aim is to provide a type of playthrough that is bit more narrative and character driven mostly because, personally, I have a hard time sitting through the type of playthrough that is an hour or two long with the camera far from the action on the table. All playthroughs have a place, I just thought I'd provide my point of view... as hard and time consuming as it is!

Agreed, although for me the selling point was the immense variety of very different figures and crews you could build.  Really the sky's the limit for crazy ideas

This is exactly why I come back to it every once in a while. You really can bring any model you want and build it into RS.