Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689699
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: West Wind Vampire Wars  (Read 12420 times)

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
West Wind Vampire Wars
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:03:55 PM »
Hey all,

being a fan of Gothic Horror-stories, I was looking for an appropriate game setting in the style of the Ravenloft RPG and movies like Dracula, Monster of Frankenstein and Sleepy Hollow.

Now, I've come across West Wind's Vampire Wars and expansions. I looked at the figures, and it seems some are quite nice while other miniatures are not that impressive.

I will look for some online reviews, but I would like to hear from those amongst you that have read/played the game and painted some of the miniatures: what is it that you do(n't) like about this game?

Here's a penny, please share your thoughts...
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:54:21 PM »
You'll probably find that arround here there are quite a few people who like West Wind miniayures. I'm torn, myself; they are a bit cartoonish sometimes, but hey, thats what Pulp is all about, isn't it?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »
the minis are very nice, i've got the whole Vampire Wars range.

The rules aren't really good, though nice gang lists

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:11 PM »
Quote from: "Hammershield"
You'll probably find that arround here there are quite a few people who like West Wind miniayures.

Yes, I noticed. Some painted figurines that I saw at the Prof's and Tom Weiss' website made me take a closer look at the WW figs... The pictures of the miniatures at the WW website are rather small, and not all of them are painted so I find it's not always easy to see what they exactly look like.

Anyhow, I'll keep studying them :)

Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
the minis are very nice, i've got the whole Vampire Wars range.

As written above, I saw some of your figures at your site, and the gypsies really made my heart beat faster. I also love Tom Weiss' brotherhood (IIRC).

The rules aren't really good, though nice gang lists

How did you like the fluff (background), if any?

Also, if you use different rules, which rules set do you prefer? Locally, people are really into "Savage Words" by PEG, and I guess if I want to get other people playing the SW "Rippers" supplement might make sense. But I like to look what's out there before I decide, so your opinions are very useful.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »
Background from Vampire Wars is great but the game mechanic isnt.

Rippers is a quite good rule set but the background/lists aren't

I'd say the coming "Chaos in Carpatia" will be a nice rule set for that sort of games

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
If you don't take rules very seriously and are willing to come up with lots of house rules you can use the VW rules. Malamute on this forum plays them and likes them.

If you prefer to get the rules complete from one book without much work and interpretation wait for Chaos in Carpathia which should be available in maybe four weeks time.

The setting is the same for both sets of rules.

Stay away from Rippers unless you are a fan of the Savage Worlds rules system.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 08:50:59 AM »
As Mike D McBride says, I like them! :)

Basically the rules are card based for the turn sequence so movement is particularly random and each figure has a number of quality dice ranging from D6 - D20 to achieve tasks.
 For example a peasant attacks a Vampire lord using a D6 for his attack die aginst the Vampire Lord who might have a D20. The odds are heavily stacked against the peasant.

They are not to everybodies taste and the big critisism is the terrible typos within the books which can make them very confusing. My gaming group have come through the pain barrier of learning them and now like the system. we have adpated them to suit other genres and used them for wild west and modern settings.

As for the miniatures I am a huge fan of all things Gothic and the range suits my tastes. I have supplemented the West wind figs with ones by Foundry, Ral Partha, Rafm, old Citadel ones. Here is link to my collection.:

http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Malamute/galleries.html

I am looking forward to the new Chaos in Carpathia rules. You might want to check out the Blue Moon Manufacturing figures that have been released to coincide with them:

http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/index.php

And finally here is a link to a Vampire Wars fan site: Alot of my figs are also on there, but there is some interesting stuff to look at:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/voyager10/

:)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline lordrolf

• Lurker
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
:o west wund makes some mice figures but chrck out Blue moon figures.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »
I have posted a preview of pages 4-7 (the basics) of Chaos in Carpathia in the files section of our Goalsystem Yahoo Group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goalsystem/

You have to join, but I promise to quickly approve you if you include a note mentioning you heard about it here on Lead Adv.

I am very pleased with the layout so far. And the rules play quite well, IMHO.

Scott
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Squint

• Assistant
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:02:26 AM »
Hi,

This genre ain't really my thing, but sometime back I ordered some stuff off westwind and in a mis-packaged blister I received these fellas (I got a credit for them but painted them up anyway). Never known what to do with them.

Squint
[/img]

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
Ah the Anarchist Vampires!  Great little figures- perfect for assassination attempts on the Count!  :wink:

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
Anarchist vampires! So that's what they are! My first thought was that they looked like part witches, part witch hunters. Which made me conclude the bombs must have been for blowing themselves up, because after all, they must not suffer the witch to live, and all that...  :lol:
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
Quote from: "fourcolorfigs"
You have to join, but I promise to quickly approve you if you include a note mentioning you heard about it here on Lead Adv.

Thanks for letting me in, Scott! It looks very promising, and might indeed be the thing I need.

Release date is planned in May, right?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »
Quote from: "ketoeloeh"
Quote from: "fourcolorfigs"

Thanks for letting me in, Scott! It looks very promising, and might indeed be the thing I need.

Release date is planned in May, right?

Thanks. We're shooting for May. Things are going smoothly so we shall see.

Scott

Offline The Travelling Man

• Librarian
West Wind Vampire Wars
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
Scott

Can you provide any further details on contents and perhaps an indication if we can pre order?  I have four of the Blue Moon boxes winging themselves across from the States and I'm very keen to take a look at these rules (even in 'mini' version).

I've tried using WW's Vampire Wars but it always frustrated me perhaps due to the layout- loved the feel and with a decent edit they would have rocked but alas...  :(  Also been toying with a mod to Mordheim and LOTOW but put things on hold when I heard your announcement.

Many thanks

TTM