Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2023-09-15  (Read 28545 times)

Offline barbaric splendor

• Scientist
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-11-07
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2021, 02:30:46 AM »
Wow, Stygians look great!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2021, 04:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the kind words once again guys.

I finished the last miniatures for the Stygia expansion this afternoon. The scorpions are not particularly inspired and you could probably paint these up x10 better with some time and effort. I settled for layers of airbrushed paint followed by washes and streaking grime. Just opened the Khitai expansion to check out the minis and they look like they will be rather time consuming with lots of details on both the honor large guards and the spear throwers.

Will see if I'll jump on that right away, or if I'll treat myself with some of the small expansion boxes. The Witch Hunters is one particular box that I have been wanting to paint up since I started this whole project - so I might just paint them up in between. Still waiting for more acryllic bases for the small expansions that a friend of a friend offered to cut for me. Hope to have those next week as well.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »
And the Eternal guards finished as well, based on the prototype mini I painted up a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-11-21
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2021, 08:22:20 AM »
Finally got some time to paint again this week, and treated myself to my favorite set from the small expansions, the "Kushite Witch Hunters".
Figured I would paint some stuff that I knew I would enjoy, before taking a plunge into the Khitai big box expansion thjat has some fairly complex and time consuming to paint miniatures.

The expansion includes 4 Kushites. 1 Kushite was included as a stretch goal with the original Conan KS.

I may paint up Yogah of Yag next since he is used in a scenario along with these witch hunters.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-11-21
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2021, 08:23:06 AM »
Last two Kushites

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-03
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »
Good job on Slasher, that wolf-like creature 2 pages back.
Leadhead

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2021, 08:26:58 PM »
Good job on Slasher, that wolf-like creature 2 pages back.

Thanks! That was a tricky miniature to paint as the sculpted fur was patchy  and I had several doubts about various color choices - it turned out better than I had hoped to be honest  :)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2021, 06:03:16 PM »
Yogah of Yag, the alien creature from the story "The Tower of the Elephant", and found in one of the small expansion boxes.

Can be played as a hero character in the game.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-07
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2021, 01:46:36 PM »
Started painting the Khitai expansion box. I had big worries about how to paint the miniatures since they are quite detailed and complex sculpts compared to most of the other Conan stuff. I wanted a vibrant color scheme for the miniatures and was hesitant to start on this box because I was worried it would be too time consuming and tedious to paint it up.

However, after pondering about color schemes for a couple of days, I decided to go all in on trying to airbrush and then use oil washes to finish as much as possible of the miniatures so that I needed to spend just a bit of extra time to touch them up and paint the details with acrylics. My goal of finishing all of the Conan sets I have before the end of the year may not happen, but with this shortcut I will have at least finished the main game + stretch goals + the two big box expansions.

I'm very happy with the result, and shocked at how good it looks in relation to how few hours I spent on getting this far. I also got colors and color transitions that I would be hard pressed to replicate with just a brush.

Earlier today I finished the Khitai sorcerer, and will move on to his human minions and the Khitai hero next. I will save the Foo dogs for last as I am still thinking about how to best paint them to replicate the artwork.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-15
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
Your thread is packed with amazing paintwork. Yogah is even better in the sculpting paintwork than it was in my imagination from reading the book… not something that commonly happens. I can not stress how much I respect and admire your artistry.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
my goodness, missed the stuff from the kushites onwards - stunning stuff.

and as far as the Khitai figures go, to paraphrase billy cobham talking about keith moon - I've no idea how you're doing it ... but just keep doing it!

interesting take on Yogah of yag design-wise. Looks more Giger-like than other illustrations etc I've seen of the elephant tower dude [although not that character I appreciate].
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:20:52 PM by Bloggard »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2021, 06:25:17 AM »
Somehow I've missed these up to now.  Those Frazetta paperback covers are works of art and you have absolutely captured this in your work.  Impressive in both quantity and quality.  These will be wonderful to game with!  Top drawer stuff.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2021, 05:49:25 PM »
Thanks again for all the feedback guys! Means a lot when slogging through 200+ miniatures for a project like this.

@Grumpy Gnome,
The Yogah of Yag in this game is certainly better looking than any of the previous artwork for that character released up until now. Usually he is depicted with a normal albeit oversized elephant head which looks a tad silly. This one looks menacing and almost "Predator" like!

@Bloggard,
Yeah definitely Giger inspired.

@James Morris
Thank you so much for your kind words!

Today I can share some Khitai "Tower guards"

I cannot begin to tell you what a struggle these were. Initially I had basecoated them with airbrush and washed them in oils which gave me a nice starting point of wonderful red, green and yellow colors. At least that was the plan. As I finished my first prototype model I was happy enough, but once I started painting up the remaining 4 I had alarm bells sounding in my head about the color choices. It just did not look right.

I was dead set on having them in red "Samurai" armor, but that did now work at all with yellow pants, white sashes and brown shoes combined with the purple cape and green tinted shields. It looked awful.

I then consulted my wife and she said I should maybe try out adding faded blue instead of white, so I repainted those parts - still did not look good.

Finally I googled "Red Samurai armor" just to see how the real stuff would look like - and as I suspected most of it was complimented by black fabric. Red and black is imo a boring combination, but having repainted my original "Prototype" mini I agreed that was the only way to salvage the red armor and a color contrast that worked with both the cape and the shields that I refused to repaint in any other way.

I tried to make the red and black areas as interesting as I could using various shades and highlight. Adding some white extreme highlights in places on the red armor to make it look like red lacquered armor. This whole roundabout painting these guys up took me about 3x the amount of time it should have taken.

Fortunately, the Honor guards will be painted up with a Jade colored theme and are pretty much halfway finished once the airbrush and oils have been applied. And there is less room for mistakes as those miniatures are much simpler in design and detail. I hope they turn out as I imagine them and not need such extensive repaint as the Tower Guards which in all honestly ended up wasting much of my prep work.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-18
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2021, 08:19:40 PM »
Lovely stuff.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Conan - painting up the "Kings pledge" and a lot of expansions 2021-12-18
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Brilliant work yet again.