Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:52:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 3D printed Romans and Punics by Red Shark Minis, off Etsy. Anyone got ?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
Hi folks.   I saw some nice looking Roman and Punic figures on Etsy. Made by Red Shark Miniatures. I wonder if anyone has bought and if so what feedback you'd have.  They look lovely but are  quite expensive per figure.  So I'd only get some if there's some excellent reports on them. 

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1036006766/individual-roman-republic-forces-for?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=28mm+miniatures&ref=sr_gallery-7-1&organic_search_click=1
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:08:07 AM by sgzleada71 »

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: 3D printed Romans and Punics by Red Shark Minis, off Etsy. Anyone got ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 07:35:43 PM »
They look quite “characterful” but there is something not right with their necks from what photos there are on Etsy. Probably work better in 15mm than 28mm.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:06:21 AM »
(See below)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:32:32 PM by Jjonas »
JJonas

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »
Yes they do look a bit "cartoony ".     Given the cost I was hoping someone had them and could review them.   Don't  think I'll get any until I hear more.   

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 05:27:17 PM »
Based on the images in Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars, the helmets appear to be incorrect.   I can't tell for sure, but it appears that the helmets of the Principes have eagles on the top.  Only the helmets of the Princepes and Equites Alares appear to be correct.  The cavalry should have a vexillum instead of an imperial infantry signum.  The infantry command has an imperial eagle with a vexillum attached (which was not done) instead of one of the five animal standards of the republic.  Some of the shields are early imperial shields instead of the ovals of the republic.

As Jjona pointed out those are feathers on the other helmets.   However, the shape of the helmets is wrong.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 08:32:56 PM by williamb »

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
The helmets have feathers not eagles (which is correct for Early Republic). However the presentation is cartoonish and caricatures rather than hard historical. The giant heads and zero necked, squat bodies put me off immediately, the other cartoony standards and feather on the cavalry helmets became a side issue. But I could see these as Fantasy Romans.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 11:11:59 PM »
Perhaps they used wargamers for their anatomical models.

jim

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 08:05:53 AM »
and the price is  very high.  I was thinking the over  $4 AUD per figure was too high  but that was for 15mm !    28mm are over $8 AUD per mini.    Forget it  ! 

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 07:25:54 PM »
If you want Polybian era republican romans stick with Aventine.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
It’s a period where we have a LOT of choices of Miniatures. For bespoke printed figures there must surely be some niche subjects that are not covered by conventional metal and plastic ranges.

Offline Adaros

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »
For what it's worth, I've purchased a few of the 3d files from the designer to print on my own printer. While up close they look a bit goofy I think they can bulk up a force fairly nicely but only if you have your own printer.  I suspect the proportions are like that due to needing the model to stand out when in 15mm. When I bought the files they gave me models sized up for 15mm and 28mm to print. Might not be worth it if buying from something like Esty.

In my initial print of them I've reduced the models to around 98% of the original size so they end up shorter than most 28mm figures.

The first pic is the reduced model next to Victrix, followed by original size next to Perry. Final photo showing reduced print and original.

Offline sgzleada71

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 02:07:48 AM »
Thanks for the pics.    I see if  you  had  3D printer it  would be a viable  option.   The models look quite good and less cartoony than the Etsy images make them appear.