Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: airbrush questions  (Read 1735 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
airbrush questions
« on: September 05, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
I just bought (not arrived) one of those miniairbrushes with the compressor attached to the brush and had some questions.
I don't particularly want to go out and buy thousands of dollars of new paints, is it possible to use existing paints straight or should they be thinned?
If they need thinning is there something special to use or will water do (looks forpained faces saying "NO!")
Cheers

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Re: airbrush questions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:11:31 AM »
Always thin your paint. I use Vallejo Air and even thin that as well. I use Tamiya thinners but any thinner would be suitable.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 11:51:43 PM »
I generally use airbrush paints (Vallejo Air, Badger, etc) and use thinner rather than water.  I have sprayed washes and inks from various lines but the few times I have used regular GW etc paints it didn't work out well.  The regular gw paint was a bit old though, maybe others have had better experiences.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 05:16:34 AM »
Okay so it's arrived. I bought Tamiya thinner as it was the cheapest (and good to have the quick review of it there model warrior)
My next question shows really how basic my understanding is of airbrushes. I think it is so basic and probably just accepted as standard that I'm afraid to ask and seem stupid but sometimes to learn you have to ask these questions.
Anyway, when I turn on my airbrush the air constantly flows out the front? Is this the way it is meant to work? paint only comes when I pull back on the lever but I guess I always had the impression that air only flowed when the lever was pulled.
Thanks and I only ask as I think the answer may be too simple even for beginner tutorials on airbrushes
Also, how much do you usually thin the paint. I've seen 20% thinner, 50%, 25% with regular paints not airbrush specific paints. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:33:21 AM by beefcake »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »
Sorry to be the bearer of ill will; the answer to your question,no air should come through till you depress the trigger,draw back to release the paint(at the same time to get paint flow).
Don’t use Tamiya thinner with paints such as Vallejo,it clags  up ,I  would use isopropyl.
And to thin; start at 30/70 thinner/ paint and go from there.
Hope that helps :)

G.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 06:52:14 AM »
It sounds like a single action airbrush. There are single and doble action brushes. The single action ones release air and paint by pulling the trigger back the double action brushes release air when pushing the trigger down and release paint by pulling the trigger back. Normally there should be no airflow when you leave the trigger alone on both types. If air is released without pulling/pushing the trigger the needle doesnt fit into the gun properly. Either due to cloging or because the needle is not strait or ill fitting.

Hope that helps
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 07:05:06 AM »
Cool. Thanks. Maybe I just need to sort the needle out. I've pulled it apart after a quick first test so I'll see what I can do. Thanks all. Maybe not such a silly question after all. :)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 07:23:08 AM »
Looks like the thread of the nozzle was broken. I do have another cheap airbrush which I bought a long time ago but never had a compressor. Hopefully the attachment might work for it as well so I can use it instead.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
The correct way to use an airbrush (any airbrush)  is as follows….
Air on….then Paint on, then paint off, then air off. 
Air should always be flowing when the paint flow is started, and should still be on when the paint flow is stopped.  I don’t know anything about your airbrush, but  It sounds like your brush is set up to do this, albeit by having a continuos air flow when in use.  In effect, as long as you can stop and start the paint while the air is flowing, it should work.  As to paint flow, does the paint trigger control the amount of paint or not?  If it does, you are home and dry, just control flow with the trigger, using the amount of paint you need for each spray job.  If not, you will need to test spray and set up the paint flow as needed before using it on the model. 
As to paint thinning, well there is no hard and fast rule here…..regarding Vallejo, I would use the model or game air ranges as a starter.  When using them I personally dilute by about a third using Vallejo airbrush thinner and add a drop or two of Vallejo flow improver to the mix to reduce tip drying and blocking.  This can vary with the paint colour, job in hand, ambient humidity, phase of the moon etc…..it is unfortunately one of those skills you can only learn with practice….and what worked before may not necessarily work the next time without a little tweaking…..
Don’t mix Vallejo paint and Tamiya thinners, by the way, it turns the paint into cottage cheese and bungs up the airbrush…..necessitating a complete strip and clean.  It is usually best to stick with the paint manufactures own additives, at least while you are learning, and not to cross mix brands until you have a bit of experience. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
Thanks, yes the trigger did control the flow of paint (well I tested first with water through it) which stopped when the trigger was not depressed. The air was still coming out the front at all times while the compressor was on.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »
Does the needle go back and forwards with the trigger movement? With the trigger off the needle should block the airflow. If not you need to tighten the thingummy which is internal and behind the trigger.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »
I did an introductory airbrush course a few years back and the advice I was give (and have followed since) was:

• Use the manufacturer's own thinner where possible -  I use Vallejo Airbrush thinner for Vallejo Paints, Tamiya for Tamiya etc.   I do find that the Vallejo thinners work well with most paints.
    Thin the paint to the consistency of skimmed milk
    and , as 2010sunburst has already said, Air on….then Paint on, then paint off, then air off.
    Always start the air before you put the brush over the model - this avoids spatters due to residual paint on the needle being blown onto the model

There are lots of videos on Youtube for airbrushing techniques, it would be worth checking a few out.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Hi Beefy.  Any chance you could post a picture of the AB, or a link to its web site?  It would make troubleshooting a lot easier for us  :D.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 03:33:04 AM »

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of ill will; the answer to your question,no air should come through till you depress the trigger,draw back to release the paint(at the same time to get paint flow).
Don’t use Tamiya thinner with paints such as Vallejo,it clags  up ,I  would use isopropyl.
And to thin; start at 30/70 thinner/ paint and go from there.
Hope that helps :)

G.
Never had a problem with Vallejo paints clagging up with Tamiya thinner.