Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689623
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....
« on: September 06, 2021, 07:44:25 PM »
Just finished some Star Wars figures set during the "Old" Republic.  I have always loved the idea of a bunch of Sith fighting a bunch of Jedi with troopers and bounty hunters/aliens thrown into the mix.  When I saw the Stargrave plastics I knew my time had come.

I tried to go for a Darth Nihilus look for his mask.  Something to strike fear into his enemies.  I just drilled out the right hand of a Stargrave miniature and put in a lightsaber that I built.  I like that he looks like he is force choking someone. 

This was a bendy plastic Darth Vader figure that I bought off of Ebay.  I don't know the manufacturer but he stands a little bit taller than the plastic Stargrave figures.  I replaced the lightsaber blade and head.  The head is a GW space marine that I drastically shaved the neck down so it would fit.

This was a Reaper Bones figure that I got in a KS.  I was never going to paint him until he fell out of a bag that I was moving while looking for Star Wars figures.  I cut off the weapons and added lightsabers. I tried to go for bone/antler handles,  I'm not sure they came across as that.

This is a plastic Stargrave body with Frostgrave wizard arms, scratch built lightsaber, and a GW space marine head.  I like the way he is force pushing someone. 

This is another Reaper Miniature.  I removed the axe she was holding and added a lightsaber.

Here is a Frostgrave Cultist  with a GW Chaos space marine head.  Defiantly giving off a Darth Maul vibe. I resisted the urge to give him a double bladed lightsaber.  I saw someone do something similar on the web and that was the inspiration for this figure.

This is a Wizard of the Coast bendy figure with a Perry Mahdist head and a cloak added.

This is a Frostgrave Gnoll with a scratch built double lightsaber, just had to have one :)  I like the way he looks like he is taunting his next victim.

This was originally a Reaper Miniature goblin.  I was a little hesitant about him being covered in armor plates, but I justified it as ancient Sith armor.

This Sith warrior is made up of a Frostgrave Cultist body, wizard arms, a GW space marine head, and a cloak from Wargames Atlantic...I think.  I'm really happy with his eyes glowing in the shadow of his hood.

Finally, here is another Wizard f the Coast figure.  He will be an ambassador that  needs protecting in games.

I have also recently got my 3D printer back up and running and have been printing almost non stop since then.  Awhile back I bought some 2nd Dynasty stl files to print some "Not-Falcon" transport ships and some fighters.  Non of these look like Star Wars property but are close enough to work for Old Republic era ships.  I decided to try out a fighter first.  The parts are all interchangeable but I decided to glue them together as I was not going to take it apart.

It took a lot of sanding but I think it looks good.  I'm not sure about the dark gray, I might try to go a shade lighter.  It's not bad for a test print.  I learned some lessons with this ship, like not to dry brush certain areas as that just shows all the print lines.  O was wondering if anyone has some tips with 3D printing on getting better prints.

There are a few more pics over at http://theparadeground.blogspot.com/

Justin

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 09:35:19 PM »
These are very cool, its unusual to see novel figures for SW, but these are some great kit bashing with great painting too

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 12:06:39 AM »
Excellent work.  They are unique, creepy, and scary.  Very well done. 

The light sabers came out great.  I think the dark gray works well for the transport.  Maybe some clear plastic for the cockpit. 

Thank you

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:13:51 AM »
Excellent work. Inspiring me to try some figure kit bashing.

Online tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »
very nice indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »
I like them, they work well as a group.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »
Cracking job!  The lightsabers look great.  The vehicle looks cool too.  Can't wait to see what you do with them. 

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »
Great imagination and work across all of it, really interested to see what you come up with for the opposition, well Jedi/good-guys?/filthy rebel scum?

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
Looking great.  Lightsabers came out particularly well.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
Inspiring!
Amazing that all these non-star wars minis can be turned into a character convincingly matching the look and style of star wars.
I'm going to revisit my bits box for my own star wars project to see if there are any candidates hiding between the pieces.

T.

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 05:23:31 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments.
I was worried about how to paint the lightsabers, had to figure out how to paint an object that is pure energy/light. Sorastro's painting and  Duncan Rhodes Painting Academy were my two finalists on how to paint a lightsaber. I needed up going with Duncan's version.
@LouieN, future ships will have clear plastic cockpits, I just wanted to get this one painted.  I'm going to try and get a mini space port completed.
@Tactalvanic, I have some Jedi ready, some maelstrom's edge SecDef and Broken infantry to be used as republic and system militias. I also have some Beyond the gates of Antares Concord troops to be used as commandos.  For the sith I plan on using the Stargrave soldiers as regular sith empire troops. For Sith commandos I'm going to use Beyond the gates of Antares Algoryns.  There will also be civilians and bounty hunters made from various plastic sprues and Wizard of the coast figures.

Offline Justin Buck

• Scientist
    • The Parade Ground
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
@Sgt_T, I remember reading somewhere that in Episode 4, Luke is wearing a medieval tunic with a futuristic belt. That planted the seed for using any figure you want, you just have to scifi it up a bit :)

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 05:34:33 PM »
There is one of the many Star Wars books where there is a planet full of a race of Sith. Who take on the task to find their home world. Who then get into battle with Skywalker and friends. I had listen to it on audio while traveling back and forth from work.

This idea and your results are Awesome and remind me of the book! I really look forward to your battle reports!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 02:34:49 AM »
The rebreather head actually makes the mini look a lot like Darth Malgus from The Old Republic...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »
Brilliant work! Some really imaginative kitbashing.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/