Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:20:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's vacation - 12 September scenery list of ingredients  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's vacation documentary - Ad Mech Onager
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »
This old Ad Mech Onager conversion had been waiting for years for a lick of paint.
This is a cargo handler version, a.k.a. the Fiddler Crab.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:00:19 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 02:55:04 PM »
Ooooh!
I love what you did with that.
 :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 05:39:16 PM »
Awesome and original!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 08:43:43 PM »
Thanks guys   :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 02:35:57 PM »
Nice job you did on that.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 11:49:57 AM »
Nice job you did on that.
Thanks - the holiday is over (I still worked through most of it, pah  >:( ) and I managed to start over 50 models and finish 13. Not quite how its supposed to work!
Some of the WIP:

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Vanvlak's vacation documentary - Harlequin, tractor, Martian spider & 6mm
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Some finished stuff I had not photographed previously:

Ad Mech tractor (it's seen service on Ultramar, hence the colour - that's my excuse, anyway, Ultramarine contrast is a nice colour and I wanted to try it out!), with an old 1980s Eldar Harlequin and a Mars Attacks! Martian spidery thing. A bit eclectic.

The hover vehicles are part of a lot which I had purchased from someone on LAF, no idea who, no idea of the range. The colour scheme is a tribute to a Matchbox Rescue Hovercraft https://harveys-matchbox.de/02C-Rescue-Hovercraft-4/en, one of my favourite toy cars when I was a kid, which had (roughly) similar colours. The sole figure on a single base (!) is one of the Andrayada range of 6 mm scale models, a defunct range, I think. I am using these as single models in a sort of Kill Team scenario based on two rival Andrayada forces, Yellow vs Orange  - no prizes for guessing this chap's team. :D

His friends and enemies, and a rather big mission objective for these guys, still in the black vs black stage:

Their intended battlefield - an old sculpted backdrop for an aquarium, still work in progress - they have a bit of a climb to get across the deepest section:

This is a Project Destined to Fail, or PDF - bits of a rescued student's architecture model, to be converted to a 2' square small game area for sci fi - all the card walls are warped, the doors and windows need to be improved.....lots of work! Might never get done...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:05:44 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Vanvlak's vacation documentary - 8 September 7 newly finished models + WIP
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 12:43:38 PM »
Great stuff, mate.
 8) 8)

I have just used some parts from that AdMech tractor myself...and I think I have your favourite old toy hovercraft in my 'to-do' pile for my Outland vehicle collection.
 ;)

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »
Enjoying this all. Nice painting.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 05:49:38 PM »
Thanks guys  :D
The vacation (if it was at all) is over (has been so for 11 days), and I only added another two models to the tally - photos still to be taken.
But in the meantime, I seem to have at last settled what sort of terrain sets I want to build using the stuff I have. There's quite a list, many of which I have mentioned or tentatively started previously.

The Warhammer/AoS board - a GW prefab board, 'just' needs painting....
The Space 'board' - easy one, it's just a printed sheet! But it does need a few asteroids and stuff.
The Sea 'board' - same as the space board, except I only need to paint the stuff, and come up with models for some of the hazards in Man O'War, such as the clashing rocks.
The Marsh 'board' - a large roll up mat; but this is more complex than the space and sea ones, and will include a range of stuff permitting scenarios from Bandits of the Marsh all the way to post-apocalyptic and sci-fi - including Necromunda, with a completely different set of scenery.
The Egyptian board - the inside of some underground complex, good for pulp stuff - or ancient adventures with Sea People too.
The architects' board - the one photgraphed above for sci-fi small skirmishes.
The spaceship board - there's a pic of one room at the start of this thread, a 3D Space Hulk sort of thing, but more generic.
The 6 mm skirmish aquarium back board - pic above, a nice old aquarium backdrop with 6 mm sci fi models individually based. Not wide enough for battles.
The modular board - parts of this were entered in the BSC 2021, but many more are in progress or planned - a variety of 28 mm-ish sci-fi, post-apoc and possibly also WWII with some of the bases.
The modular plain - good for 6 mm - 15 mm battles, made of cork tiles, easy to store and lightweight, used for my practical sessions for the wargaming lectures - this one is actually complete, although I will add more movable scenery eventually.
The delta-block 6 mm board - at concept design stage, a somewhat 3D 6 mm set of structures. This could be a fun one!
The Dropzone Commander board - another discarded architect's model, needs some repair and paint, ideal for this scale.
The To The Strongestboard (divided in squares) - still a concept.

13 projects, better get cracking, I'm not any younger - 12, if I don't count the complete one, so that's already sounding better!
The trick will be working on ONE AT A TIME! :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »
Dr Who (3rd Doctor) robot - this was the very first episode of Dr Who I remember seeing.
And a WWWII Italian Bersagliere - the plumes should be black, but I liked the contrast with the dull paintjob I chose, so I left them white.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's vacation - 12 September terrain project ingredients
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
And now for something not too large, but not too small either.
Here are the ingredients - this is the stage the project is in at the moment, hopefully by this evening progress will have been achieved. Can anyone guess what is intended to become?

Plasticard:

Small triangular PVC offcuts found in a workshop at Uni:

Unwanted souvenir table mats:

Journal or magazine retainer: