Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: Homer's Heroes- Clash at the Spring  (Read 694 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Battle Report: Homer's Heroes- Clash at the Spring
« on: September 07, 2021, 03:13:29 PM »

Today is a test run of my Work-in-Progress game; Homer's Heroes: Bronze Age Bad Boys. The game is a model vs model skirmish game to represent heroic retinue's fighting against each other in Homeric -inspired combat.  As such, the heroes are the main focus with a retinue of soldiers attracted by their fame.

The hero Adonis and his faithful friend Butes and their retinue have been traveling, looking for adventure near the Bospherus.  After a long days march, they grew weary.  With the aid of a young woman they met travelling, they were directed to a nearby spring to refresh themselves.  Little did they know that this young woman was, in fact, the nymph who inhabited the spring who had been smitten by Adonis' good looks. 

As Adonis and his men bathed and refreshed themselves they were approached by another band of  warriors.  They were led by Diomedes and his fellow Euryalus and his band.  They had followed the flight path of an owl and arrived at the same spring.  They too were thirsty and tired from a long journey cross-country.   

Diomedes as the favored of Athena demanded access to the spring.  Adonis had heard of this fellow Diomedes, and knew he was no friend of his patron, Aphrodite.  At first, he seemed to acquiesce to Diomedes demand.  However, it was only a ruse to give him and his men enough space to arm themselves. 

Adonis and his retinue soon returned.  Diomedes and Euryalus had not yet stripped themselves of their war gear.  Instead, they turned to face off against the interlopers who dared challenge them. 

Forces:

In Homer's Heroes both sides always have 1 Hero, 1 Second, and then 8 soldiers of varying gear.  Some can be traded in for a chariot as well.  Then, each Hero also has a Patron Greek god or goddess that offers them special bonuses. 

Adonis and his retinue have the following composition:

Adonis- Hero
--Aphrodite
--Sneaky- The Hero can re-roll a single dice in an Opposed "Hide" test
--Armor, Shield, Hand Weapon

Butes- Second
--Two-Handed Weapon, Armor

4 Soldiers
--Spear and Shield

2 Soldiers
--Javelin, dagger, shield

2 Soldiers
--Bow, dagger

Diomedes of Thrace and his retinue looks like this:

Diomedes- Hero
--Athena
--Glare- The hero can use a "glare" action to freeze an enemy in place with an opposed roll.  The model loses any unused activations. 
--Spear, Shield, Armor

Euryales- Second
--Spear, armor, shield

Chariot
--Driver- Dagger
--Soldier- Spear, Shield

4 Soldiers
--Spear and Shield

Mission

The game lasts until 1 retinue Runs Away, turn 8 ends, or 1 hour of play has elapsed.  The retinue with the most models within 6 MU of the Spring at the end of the Disengagement turn is the winner. 

1 MU = 1 inch in today' game

Set-up

Today's game will be played on a 36 x 36MU board. 

The spring is set up in the center of the board.  We divide the board into 4 sections and determine the following:
Grove- Difficult, Hard
Field- Soft
Ruined building - Obstacles, Hard
Open   

Diomedes retinue is set up anywhere within 6 MU of the spring.  Adonis is placed on any two adjoining board edges, he chose the south and west.

You can read the full report and some after thoughts at the blog here:
https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/09/battle-report-homers-heroes-clash-at.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
Re: Battle Report: Homer's Heroes- Clash at the Spring
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »
Nice Battle report! I'm interested in seeing where you go with this project. One question what 2 handed weapon is Butes using, Axe Hercules style club?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »
The actual mini is actually using a short sword and a hand axe, so I am Proxying a bit.  I wanted to make sure that two-handed weapons were actually useful. 

I imagine in my mind he is using some sort of Axe though.  Probably because in the ancient world, you did not see the Axe used that often.  Only really recall it being popular with those Etruscans, but I am sure there are others.   ;) 

Offline mkultra99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:22:13 PM »
Very cool!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:01 PM »
Very interesting report.
I am beginning to paint Trojan War figures.
Look forward to reading more about the rules.
Semper Fi, Mac