Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts on Next Armies?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Thoughts on Next Armies?
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:59:11 PM »
Greetings All,

I recently finished up painting up an Early Etruscan force from spare bits and pieces I had sitting around.  However, that leaves me wondering if it is time to move onto a different ancient army.  Here are some options I have kicking around in my head, but was curious on your thoughts. 

Oh, I am looking at 28mm, single based, using Wars of the Republic as the primary rules but also usable in various game systems including Saga, Clash of Spears, Broken Legions, Men of Bronze, etc.  For manufacturer, all my other Ancient armies are Victrix, but I am open to other options.  I currently have armies for Spartans, Corinthians/Other Classical Greeks, Macedonians/Successors, Roman Republic of various eras, and Early Etruscans.  In a pinch I can also use these armies to field Soci and Slave Revolt armies as well.   

1. Achaemenid Persians- These guys are the classic villains for a Greek or Macedonian Force.  Since I have both, this seems like a good fit into my list.  Plus, I have been wanting to write up an Ionian Revolt campaign so these would see good service in that effort.  With Victrix and Wargames Foundry releasing plastic kits, now seems like the time to strike!

2. Gauls- These guys are always a good investment since they can be the opponents of so many different ancient groups.  In a pinch, you can also re-purpose them into Dark Age models as well!  These guys would make great opponents for my other existing armies of Romans, Etruscans, Greeks, and Macedonians.  Plus, there is a wealth of good plastic and metal models available. 

3. Samnites- I have been interested in these guys since I started a "Conquest of Italy" rules writing project about 5 years ago, that eventually morphed into Wars of the Republic.  In addition to being a great foe for my Early Romans, they can also fit in as a contingent for a Punic Force.  Here, I would want those Victrix plastics and make a mostly infantry force, plus some Etruscan allies with these and I could get a pretty large "enemies of early Rome" style army together.

4. Thebans- Yeah well, I have been interested in a Theban Army since Men of Bronze came out.  I want to use the deeper phalanx and recreate famous battles of Epamonidas and the final stand of the Sacred Band.  I have the Spartans and Macedonians for it all ready, BUT I am not sure I need more Greeks at this point. 

5. Numidians- I am seeing some great forces on the LAF and online and it is sorely tempting me to make one of my own.  This would allow me to get a more cavalry focused force on the table, as most of mine are currently infantry focused.  Plus, the Victirix kits look pretty sweet.  A good opponent for Early and Mid- Roman armies, and Punic armies.  The plastic victrix kits and army deals look tempting.

6. Carthage- It maybe time to bite the bullet and finally get that Punic force made.  A good opponent for Greeks in Sicily, Early Romans, Numidians, Etruscans, and Iberians.  It would allow me to dabble in a lot of other armies as well such as Gauls, Numidians, Iberians, etc.  It also really fits nicely with some of the Rulesets I plan on using.  I could also use these to start writing a Carthage based campaign supplement.

7. As a different alternative, I could go and make some armies for completely different periods and styles such as Bronze Age Assyrian Force, Dark Age Irish, Viking age Saxons, or an early medieval Islamic army instead of doing anything ancient related.  I doubt that is what you guys would pick, but I will leave it out there as an option just in case.     

So, if you guys were me; what would you be thinking about for next years painting efforts for 2022?  I finished my goals for 2021 and the unpainted pile is getting dangerously low!  All I have left is a Nativity scene!           
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thoughts on Next Armies?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 04:43:45 PM »
In theory, I favour new armies that are opponents of armies I already have - so from the list you provided, the Persians or Gauls would be top contenders, and Numidians or Thebans would also be good choices. I think the Persians would be fun because their manner of fighting was much different than that used by the Greeks. And they’re colourful!

Gauls are also colourful, and have the advantage, like the Numidians, that they often served as allies or mercenaries in Roman or Hellenic successor armies.

On those grounds, I would go: 1. Persians 2. Gauls 3. Numidians 4. Thebes and the rest...

In practice, my actual ‘next army’ selection has tended to be more a matter of impulse purchases that get out of control...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
To me it is either Gauls or Persians for 2022,
with the other earmarked for 2023  :D

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:33:27 PM »
Easy E, I would second Persians and Gauls. However if looking for a totally new period Egyptians/Hittites/Sea Peoples are interesting or 1st century AD Romans/Dacians or Germans. 

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »
G A L A T I A N S    ;)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 03:21:59 PM »
Easy E, I would second Persians and Gauls. However if looking for a totally new period Egyptians/Hittites/Sea Peoples are interesting or 1st century AD Romans/Dacians or Germans.

I can get behind Egyptians/Hittites and Sea Peoples, but have 0 interest in 1st Century.  Something about the Imperial Period really bores me, and I can not put my finger on it!

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
Successor Greeks,

Pontus would be my choice, a very flexible army with a huge troop selection, a great big mix of quality, Halani horse archers from the steppes, Thracian hill tribes, Galations, Sarmation heavy armoured cavalry, Armenian cavalry, large pike units, imitation legionaries, 4 horse scythed chariots, hill tribesmen from capodoccia and Syria, mercenary units of Cretan archers, slingers etc.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:45:59 PM by bluewillow »

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »
Thracians  :)

Offline Emporium

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »
Hi, i had the same problem at the beginning of the year: we were planning a basic impetus tournament at my club and i wanted to build a new army (covid lockdown gave me a lot of spare time). My options were similar to yours, including numidians, galatians and samnites. My choice went to the numidians, they are a funny army to play and a good match for many armies from 3° to 1° century bc. You can mix victrix sprues easily to build unique units as imitation legionaries (romans+numidians) or guard cavalry (greek cavalry + numidians).

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »
Persians- because they were not "villains."
JJonas

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 05:33:29 PM »
Something hairy and different - Gauls/Galatians, Thracians, or Illyrians - would compliment your current lot.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »
I second Thracians , I am doing a Thracian army myself at the moment. I plan to make them quite colourful.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 08:33:35 PM »
Something hairy and different - Gauls/Galatians, Thracians, or Illyrians - would compliment your current lot.
Illyrians would be both interesting and unusual, but who makes figures other than Relic Miniatures?

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
Persians- because they were not "villains."

Perhaps, "opponent" or "antagonist" is the better word choice.

I am actually a huge fan of Achamaenid Persians as they brought two big changes to "empire" than the earlier Assyrians and Babylonians.  The first is a relatively "light" hand at empire building, and second was the eventual rise of Zoroastrianism and the belief in "The Truth".  I find their empire really interesting and it is hard work to get beyond the Greek propaganda about them. 

It is really funny, how in the Bible the Jews are super excited for the coming of the Great King to liberate them from Babylon.  In this case Cyrus (IIRC).  Yet, then we get to the Greeks and they only spend their time talking about how "Unfree" the Persians are.  Of course, this is odd considering how the Persian approach to Empire was so laisse faire about it all.  A bit of whiplash on that front! 

I can only imagine what the Greek City-states would have said about an Assyrian Empire instead of a Persian one.