Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Courage and Perseverance (My Bolt Action forces for the Italian theatre)  (Read 2704 times)

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
I am going to use this thread to document my progress with two or three forces for Bolt Action, namely Italian partisans, Indian Army and probably also some British (since I found out my local regiment, the KSLI fought in Italy).

So far I am still pretty much at the research phase, but I did find a few minis suitable for partisans in the back of my wargaming cupboard, so have started painting these up - photos to follow in a few days).

I am pretty new to historical wargaming, so any and all feedback will be gratefully received.
My Blog, Mentioned in Dispatches:
http://wargamesdispatches.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Courage and Perseverance (My Bolt Action forces for the Italian theatre)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to your posts.

BTW is that Peter Elliot book on Veneto good?

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »
Two more suggestions for your reading list, Bill Tillman When men and mountains meet   which in the last part is about Tillman's exploits in the Veneto, and the official History of the SOE operations by David Stafford, Mission accomplished
https://www.amazon.it/Mission-Accomplished-SOE-Italy-1943-1945/dp/0099531836
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »
BillK, I don't know if the Peter Elliott bookm is any good, I have yet to give it more than a cursory glance.

Malto, cheers for that, just ordered them from Amazon.

Here are my first painted minis for my forces: five partizans I found in my cupboard. The flat caps don't scream Italian but they will be watered down when I add more minis in. I also want to do more uniformed and semi uniformed troops.

Painting is definitely a rough tabletop standard, but they will do.

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 01:03:28 PM »
Oops. And here is the picture.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:30:45 PM »
Same here - I just bought the kindle version of Elliott's book! Your chaps look nice, - off to a good start! My trick to make more Italian-looking partisans is to convert some Italian army figures, or use some of the new French resistance from wargames atlantic..  Now, if Warlord would ever release some plastic Italians, we could really go to town...

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 05:04:36 PM »
Just ordered a WA French Resistance sprue to play around with. What do you use as transport for your partisans?

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 05:40:23 PM »
I have just finished an old Fiat Ter from Sloppy Jalopy : https://sloppyjalopy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_72_77&product_id=67
I know it's a World War 1 vehicle but I think it's reasonable to assume they did not have access to the latest technology ;-)  Will share some photos when I find the time to take some decent ones.... maybe get myself a new camera or a new phone..

Then I have just bought some Perry vehicles - a Lancia, a Fiat 508,a Guzzi trike. I am still working on them. And I just bought a wonderful book (with some nice color plates) about the vehicles of the Italian co-belligerent army which includes some photos and plates of partisans vehicles: https://mattioli1885.com/libro/italia-43-45-i-mezzi-delle-unita-cobelligeranti/ In case you are interested, the book is both in Italian and in English.

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 05:52:06 PM »
I was looking at the sloppy jallopy 1915 Ter with exactly the same reasoning. I was a little worried that, although I want my partisans to be characterful I don't want them to look too dad's army. I fear the older truck along with some of the more eccentric models might veer into that territory. I've been looking at a fiat 626. I look forward to seeing pictures of your sloppy jallopy - I might well end up with both yet.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 08:43:22 AM »
In all honesty, I had the Fiat Tre already, and it had been looking at me from across the table of unused stuff for ages. I bought for a project about World War I which remained somewhat half way, and then I thought why not pressing it into service for the period I am actually working on? I looked at some photos on the web and they do show all sorts of vehicles (even though most of them are from the last days of the war when the partisans attacked the retreating Germans across Northern Italy, and then paraded through the Northern cities). I think if we wanted to be sticklers and recreate a historical army we should probably not use any transport at all, but hey, this is a game after all, so I think some compromises are acceptable. And by the way, the book I told you about shows the partisans supported by the Allies, like the Maiella brigade or Bulow's troops, also having jeeps!

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:06:45 AM »
Someone was reading our exchanges. ..[url]https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/italian-infantry/url]

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 06:05:27 PM »
With the Warlord ones coming soon as well it's going to be an interesting time for Italian armies.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:33:58 AM »
Exciting times indeed!

I've just ordered a few bits to get started and try out paint schemes: a WA partizans sprue, a Warlord late war British sprue with some Sikh heads from gripping beast and a Fiat 626. Oh and a building from warbases. And plenty of books.

I'm going to be strict with myself on not having too big a painting queue on this project, so I want to get these done up before I order more. Hopefully then I will get some WA partizans and Italians, possibly I will mix in some of the WG British bits I have left over (hopefully the helmets will tie the previous VBCW minis in). But that depends how they fit.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
I wish I was as virtuous as you are... late last night I pre-ordered the WA Italians..  ;D ;D even if my painting queue is humongous ..

Who makes your FIAT 626?

Offline tp_1983

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 12:12:56 PM »
I find if I get too many minis at once I over face myself and don't get them painted. If I get them in dribs and drabs I am better at keeping myself excited.

This is the truck I've gone for. I will post pics when it is done. (It's not here yet)