Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Empire of Progress  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Kaluthmar

• Assistant
My Empire of Progress
« on: September 11, 2021, 01:53:55 AM »
A few months ago I painted up some Empire and Mordheim figs to use in Frostgrave.  They turned out great and reminded of my first love, and what started me in the hobby, my Warhammer Empire army.  That reminder also made me a bit sad, as after almost 29 years of collecting it, only 20% of it is painted.

So I have set myself a goal, finish painting everything.  By my count, I have 148 figures painted out of the 739 that make it up.  Here is a group shot.

I plan on never getting rid of The Empire.  Hopefully I will be able to get in some Oathmark games with them, or Kings of War, or perhaps they will hit the table again with the Warhammer Old World reboot.

Here is what I have painted up so far.  The ones I used for Frostgrave are the first I have painted in years.

I also have a castle and a village I need to paint.

I primed the few items that still needed it this week.  I plan on updating this thread with units as I finish them.

Kaluthmar
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:40:48 AM by Kaluthmar »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: My Empire of Shame
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 02:55:16 AM »
That is a big task, but you have a good start already with the painted figures. Just take it one unit at a time and it will get done.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »
Kudos for the choice to go ahead on these.  I await the work, as I think you are starting off well!
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 08:59:27 AM »
Good luck!
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
lovely project. keep it up.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 09:36:44 AM »
A good start, keep on painting.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
You should be able to get cracking with castle really quickly. Its crying out to be dry brushed to bring out the detail so grab a big brush and away you go.

Good luck.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
+1 Kudos, finished ? we never do that. Mores the point you still have an amazing army to work with.

And any modern or even vintage rules will do, old school or new, its all good, as long as you have the troops to fight the battle

I managed to get a small second hand empire army in the collection/pile some years ago  ::) 10 ish.. its waiting its resurrection.

But you don't need to use AOS, who cares, the old world lives as long as we want it to and you have or can get whatever edition rules you like!

Looking forward to see you get it done - sooner than I will for sure   lol

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 02:51:30 PM »
Great project.

As you have gone with white base coat, it would be well worth looking at contrast paints to help with blocking in the colours on the units.

I see as well as the many infantry you have some bigger stuff lurking at the back

Offline Kaluthmar

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 03:59:41 AM »
Fred, unfortunately, I do not have any contrast paints.  I might need to try some out, especially on the uniforms.  The current plans is basecoat, wash and pick out a few highlights.  The main thing I need to overcome (and what helped slow me down in years past) is not trying for perfection, but just for a table ready standard.  No one but me is going to notice small mistakes.

Tactalvanic,  I am hoping to use Oathmark with my friends.  It seems to be the sweet spot between complexity/playability/time available.  I also have the Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant books.

Modelwarrior,  I primed it Army Painter Wolf Gray so all I would need to do is drybrush, add some washes and vary the color of a few of the stones.  It should be relatively quick, so I was going to save it as a reward for staying on task as finishing something that large would seem like I made a lot of progress with a little work.

Kaluthmar

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 05:49:08 AM »
Definitely worth buying a couple of pots of contrast paint - the blue and red I have are really good at giving the effect of block paint and wash in one quick to apply coat. You might want to add some highlights after, but these can be quick dry brushing or edge highlighting.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
Well I for one . Think you should give your head a bang.
There's nothing shameful in that collection. I'd be well and truely chuffed if my Empire collection allowed for so many options in Force. No-one is going to be able to accurately predict the force you plonk on the table.( and build a list to counter it.)

I'm not a fan of the  'pile of shame'  snobbery thats crept into the workshop fanboys lexicon. ( no aspersions cast your way of course.)
A lead pile is something one delves into from time to time . To find inspiration or just rediscovering and enjoying a sculpt.. (Which is much more difficult to do with their plastics as every thing is exploded across multiple frames.)
Like most of us it's taken a fair few years to amass these armies( unless your TWD and your collection seems to multiply every time you look away.)

I'm glad your tackling it head on. I'm doing a similar thing admittedly my entire Empire force is likely to equal exactly what you've already got painted ( at which point I'll be feeling quietly chuffed and secretly a little smug.)

I would give it a second thought to the Warhammer reboot. There's not a Sigmar player or FB player who wouldn't want such a collection.

The only not of caution I'd proffer . Don't let the Mrs know there's a second hand market for these. As your 29 year collection is well into a 'new kitchen' and a holiday territory( well thats were my Dark Elves went anyway lol.)

Looking forward to seeing your project progress.

Mark.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 02:12:49 PM »
Well said Mark.

So keep on painting.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 04:33:46 PM »
Nice task.  But, admittedly it's a perfect example of why I only ever assemble when I'm ready to paint...and now only game with painted figures.  Seeing a task in full like that is pretty daunting (one of the things I advise most people never to do!) :D

I'd consider finding some colour primers and a way to mask.  That would take a lot of work out of it.  If you have a mini which will be 80% one colour...find a suitable colour primer to match and get rockin'.  Then it's just faces, shields, weapons, belts, doo-dads, highlights and washes.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Online sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 10:03:51 PM »
Omg. Amazing collection. I do reckon you should slim it down though. No rules system needs all this. But I wish you every success in getting as much as possible painted.