Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690654
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Roman Dwarf Auxiliaries  (Read 971 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Roman Dwarf Auxiliaries
« on: September 19, 2021, 01:22:58 PM »
In our fantasy world I have a state, Ruvia, that is based on Early Imperial Rome.  The forces are largely human but when I was browsing the internet I came across Roman style dwarf troops.  However, these were in the standard Legionary armour and so did not fit with the "story" of Ruvia.  So I started looking about for suitable figures to convert.  As I was looking to add a cohort of 24 figures I chose Oathmark dwarves as they were armoured in mail.  This suited my idea that the dwarves would be auxiliaries rather than Legionaries.  The problem lay in "Romanising" them.

The bodies were fine, the weaponry (spears) was what I wanted but what about shields and heads?
In the bits box I had enough Republican shields and Late Roman oval shields as well as Warlord Games Auxiliary helmeted heads.  But what about beards?  The Romans were mostly clean shaven or had short beards.  I wanted a "Dwarvish" look.  So I experimented with adding green stuff beards and attaching beards severed from the dwarf heads.  This was taking ages so I compromised.

The Prefect would be a sutable metal figure if I can find one.  The Centurion, Optio, Signifer, cornicen and a few others would get dwarf beards reiforced with green stuff and some might bet green stuff breards.  The rest would have short "Roman" berads hidden by large Republican shields.  Not a brilliant solution but a practical one.

Work in Progress:
Centurion, Cornicen, Signifer

Optio (with a hammer rather than the traditional club/mace) and two auxiliaries one hiding his "Roman" beard and the other a plastic one grafted.

Now for the rest of the cohort. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Roman Dwarf Auxiliaries
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 03:30:39 PM »
Nice idea (as long as it survives the dinosaur attacks: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=133224.0)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 09:06:30 PM »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »
Some very nice Roman style Dwarves in the Westwind range.
 https://westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=192_74_174&product_id=663

Thanks.  They are nice but are dressed and equipped as Legionaries not Auxiliaries.  I have just about completed the conversions of the plastic ones.  Though I may buy some anyway at Carronade at the weekend.
The out of production Black Tree Design ones would have been easier to convert just by changing shields to oval ones. 

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
 There are some others in the Westwind Dwarf range which might be worth looking at.

I will be at Carronade at the Weekend.Will be trading there though.I do hope to get a chance to look around.