Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stargrave Dead or Alive  (Read 3780 times)

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
Stargrave Dead or Alive
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:34:56 AM »
I have been having loads of fun playing the Dead or Alive missions with my Dalek themed crew.

One thing I noticed in this game is that I could not find the rules for deploying the Mark. I had been deploying it at point 1. but I could not confirm that this was the rule after watching another battle report where they rolled randomly for the location of the Mark.

My Daleks have been having fun exterminating people in these missions.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: Stargrave Dead or Alive
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:52:08 AM »
 :D i usually roll to see where the mark starts...cool pics !!!!

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
Liam's got it right.  From page 15 of the pdf:

"The focus of these scenarios is the ‘Mark’ – the unique character that the crew is trying to
take down. After everything else is set up, roll on the Mark Table to identify the target! The
Mark is then placed in or behind a randomly determined notable feature on the table."

How's your win/loss ratio on this play mode going?  Mine's hovering around 60:40, with Pondo Pondo and Collen Preks handing me the most savage beatings to date, although the Complications may be responsible for a lot of that.  Preks seems to love gangs of Networked Robots, and Pondo is absurdly lucky with Difficult Identification rolls, which have come up three times for them now. 

My worst loss to date was to Tamix Phage but I refuse to give her much credit for it.  Rolled Proximity Mines for a Complication and managed to lose both my officers to the things.  Hit the first mate with a crit turn one, and then randomly pinged the captain twice in the next five turns.

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 07:47:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the rules for positioning the Mark. I mist that every time I read it.

I have had a variety of successes. Probably about 2/3 of the time, but it depends on what you call winning. I have had games where 60% casualties and everyone else is battered.

I find the complications that have some on table representation the easiest to remember.

Remembering about the proximity mines is the hardest. Some settings are harder than others. I played one mission where I was falling back from about half a dozen pirate shock troopers.

I have played in the jungle a couple of times and the first game I had a giant work and a Warbot and a Dimension Dog chasing my Moonbase Apha astronauts off the table.

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 12:38:49 PM »
I find the complications that have some on table representation the easiest to remember.

Remembering about the proximity mines is the hardest.

I use a distinctive color of dice for all the start-or-end of turn effects and keep it on piece of scrap paper on the table labelled with what each effect is and when to roll for it.  Makes it much easier to recall what's going on, takes maybe thirty seconds to prep.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 12:03:28 AM »
Great looking game. and love your figs.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 06:21:57 AM »
Yes, I enjoyed the pics. Cool looking set up.  :)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 06:52:14 AM »
Interesting idea for a crew.

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 01:01:49 AM »
I have now played all 5 Dead or Alive missions with my Dalek Crew. Having Armoured Troopers and Combat capable Officers is a real advantage against Pongo Pongo. Otherwise you are relying on Will 0 troopers hard rolling a 14+ to engage the target.

https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-daleks-invasion-of-stargrave.html
https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/08/daleks-chase.html
https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/08/daleks-genetic-abomination.html
https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/08/daleks-invasion-of-swamp-town.html
https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/09/stargrave-betrayal-of-daleks.html

Here are a selection of pictures from these missions.

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 01:12:48 AM »
I also built a Space 1999 themed crew using Crooked Dice 7TV models. These are very nice models.

They have been on a couple of missions. Here are some pictures and links to the full reports.

https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/06/sstargrave-1999-dead-or-alive-episode.html
https://daemonsclaw.blogspot.com/2021/06/stargrave-1999-dead-or-alive-episode-two.html

We are now getting ready to start some PVP games in a campaign. I think the big thing that will come out is the Robot crew members. Robots are better than organics in most cases but are vulnerable to Control Robot. So if the other players don't take that ability I can see a lot of robots being used.

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »
Robots also suffer when there's a lot of water on the table (they don't take drowning damage but are terrible swimmers), Robot Scramblers ruin their day (although they're thankfully pretty rare), Electromagnetic Pulse is very hard on them and Dark Energy even more lethal than normal.  Also require different healing tricks than organics (although they're Never Wounded or poisoned) and they can't be brought back from the dead with Puppet Master.

And if you do use a lot of high-quality robotic soldiers you can expect your enemies to take Control Robot ASAP, although personally I'd prefer EMP for that sort of power splashing since it's more versatile.