Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some 3d 18mm sci fi stuff I'm working on  (Read 1623 times)

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Some 3d 18mm sci fi stuff I'm working on
« on: September 20, 2021, 04:07:58 PM »
Hello again all,
A new post after quite some time.
Here is some 18mm scifi work I did using 3d Builder.
A simple and versatile program do use but it could do with some updates. like more tools.
To me it's like digital scratch building but I would love to learn Blender .....

I did 3 hover trucks, though if truth be told I kit bashed the hover skirts from a model I found on thingy verse as I couldn't figure out how to do it in the prog.
And
Jet bikes..... the wings / engine are not merged so can be turned the other way round

I'll be posting the painted models soon...ish

Thanks for your comments
Z

https://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2021/09/some-3d-18mm-sci-fi-stuff-i-working-on.html

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 04:42:26 PM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: Some 3d 18mm sci fi stuff I'm working on
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
Looking good Zrune!

Might have to get in on this sort of thing myself sooner or later, you and Cook and making some cool stuff!  :D

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:15:58 PM »
Thanks Brummie,
You should.

Z

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »
Yeah, I’ve used 3D Builder as well for some simple pieces and such, but I’m trying to learn Blender because it has so much potential.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:09:28 PM »
Hey, alright! Those look great, Z. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to start making some smaller vehicles like this. I'm thinking they will largely replace the commercially printed items that I am currently using for fighters and ground vehicles. I just haven't fully settled on an aesthetic yet.

I am looking forward to seeing your test prints. I'm still bumbling my way around my resin printer. I did manage to make a nice little goblin army and did some weapon swaps and added a variety of shields and helmets. I do think there has to be a better way to do it than with TinkerCad, but I'm a bit intimidated by things like Blender or ZBrush. I've played a little, but I'm not convinced that my brain does art as well as it does construction/design. Figures in particular feel like art. Vehicles and structures feel like design and construction. TinkerCad really scratches my itch to be an adult that plays with Lego lol

Brummie, I think you would like it if you dove into it. Unlike scratch building there is always an "undo" option! lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »
Thanks Cook,
I am lost when I open Blender  :( :( :(
But I am sure that one can learn the basics. Am looking also into mesh maker in order to splice & dice ....

I got an FDM first ( resin will come later ) as it allows me to build simple diy things for home also. Plus it is great to build parts & then use card etc to fit whatever
you are planning together. The downside is that layers will always be visible even at 0.07 & that take ages to print. What I usually do, is print drafts , modify , then print using variable height in Prusa Slicer. I usually get away with 2 vertical & 2 bottom/top layers + 5% infill. 15/18mm models are more forgiving.

Must dive into tinkercad also ......
TinkerCad really scratches my itch to be an adult that plays with Lego

Unlike scratch building there is always an "undo" option! lol
... Indeed !!! especially if you are unaware & clumsily flatten a finished part on a GS mini in order to do another part.

Here are more pics .. with more pics at link....
Jet bikes..single seater one & heavy support version for Gzg's IF.

I also built a drone ( the red one ), it has different wings & reversed tail + card fins.

The trucks are draft printed with Gzg minis for scale. Future ones will be printed with variable heights using Prusa slicer.

Z
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:38:52 PM by zrunelord »

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
Hello again all,
Just added pics of my take on dropships - They are basically Spin washing liquid caps, saved before getting thrown away. Just a simple 3d printed ring + fins + door and add a 50mm diameter pipe, the one I used is similar to a silicone sealer tube..

I think  it would work well for Battletech / Mechwarrior also. Bit small for 28/32mm but it can get away with being used as an escape pod. Best thing it's free  & saves time,  it would take around 2 - 3 hrs to print on an FDM.

More pics on blog.

Enjoy
Z

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 01:14:37 PM by zrunelord »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 02:39:08 PM »
Prints came out well. What layer height are you using?

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
Thanks Cook,
For drafts I use .30 layer height which is the thickest on Prusaslicer with my .4 nozzle.
For others I use mostly .20 or .15 , I sometimes use variable layers also which means I start a model with a .30 & then gradually reduce it to a .07
to have a smoother finish where I want.
I also print slow which is very important...... though this combined with the thinner layers, makes havoc of my nerves  ;D ;D ;D as it takes ages to finish, even if I reduce the wall thickness to 2 layers & infill to 5% or 0%.

I would also like to get a smaller nozzle .

Z
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:08:24 PM by zrunelord »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
I do everything at .12mm layers, which is probably the most I can expect out of the Ender. Cura slicer doesn't have a setting finer than that. I've never tried to print anything in less detail.

I agree with printing slowly being critical. My prints have come out much better since I reduced the speed. It does take a while, but I'm not ending up with failed prints as often. I also found that I was printing too hot early on and have since found that while filament says it should be printed between 200-230 degrees, it actually behaves best down around 185-190. Far fewer clogged nozzled and no heat creep F-ing up the retraction/extrusion process. I ruined a few Bowden tubes that way before I figured out what I was doing.

I rarely print more than one thing a day, so I don't mind 12-24 hour print times. Longer than that does make me nervous though. lol

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 02:02:40 PM »
Hey Cook,
That interesting about the temps. , good to know.
I had 3 blogged ptfe pipe occasions on my Prusa in the first month and it was nerve racking having to dismantle the assembly since it is very easy to damage the heat sensor & heater wires when handling the heat block. One good thing for me was that I got the kit ( obviously for me  ;) being a tinkerer ), so basically I knew what I was getting into. Still the wires are fiddly.
I noticed that the extruder motor was heating up & read that this could cause heat creep. I installed a old gpu heat sink + fan + an external 12v psu + silver based cpu thermal paste ( this is the most important as silver has one of the highest coefficient of heat , that's why it s used on cpu's ) and that solved the problem.

Prusaslicer has a learning curve but it has a lot of useful settings.

Z

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 09:41:46 PM »
Those are looking really great "Z" can't wait to see them painted!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »
These look great!
I also ended up deciding to get into Blender. (I was using Sketchup before.) It's definitely got a steep learning curve, but things get better and better as you memorize keyboard shortcuts.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
Hey WM,
Thanks my friend... will paint them up asap.... they'll look good for a convoy scenario.

Thanks Gregmita, last time I opened blender I spent 5 minutes staring at the icons and then closed it  :( , I couldn't figure out where almost anything is ....
must find a basic course first and do that.

Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »
Hey Cook,
That interesting about the temps. , good to know.
I had 3 blogged ptfe pipe occasions on my Prusa in the first month and it was nerve racking having to dismantle the assembly since it is very easy to damage the heat sensor & heater wires when handling the heat block. One good thing for me was that I got the kit ( obviously for me  ;) being a tinkerer ), so basically I knew what I was getting into. Still the wires are fiddly.
I noticed that the extruder motor was heating up & read that this could cause heat creep. I installed a old gpu heat sink + fan + an external 12v psu + silver based cpu thermal paste ( this is the most important as silver has one of the highest coefficient of heat , that's why it s used on cpu's ) and that solved the problem.

Prusaslicer has a learning curve but it has a lot of useful settings.

Z

There are very few stock parts left on my Ender, outside of the frame and power supply. Everything else has pretty well been tinkered with and replaced, even if they weren't overly dramatic changes.

Try knocking the heat down and see how it goes. After reading I started to notice the point at which filament "flows" out of the tip on its own (no extrusion) and that seems to happen around 170 degrees. 180-185 is my current sweet spot (mostly 185) as this seems to allow efficient retraction (the filament has enough integrity to still pull without dripping out on its own) and the layers still lay down smoothly and adhere to the layer below.

Running hot caused the filament to flow higher in the heat break, so when it tried to extrude the pull never really was felt down at the nozzle since that filament was damn near liquid at the tip. like trying to stick a twig in a pond and pull up on the water. Of course, once it pulled back and cooled, then the reinsertion wasn't near the actual source of heat and it sometimes solidified right there in the tube. Then the extruder either stripped the filament trying to push/pull on an immovable object, blew out the Bowden tube, and extruded unmelted filament all over the place (this happened 2-3 times) or a combo of the two.