Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need suggestions on how to paint *this*  (Read 1191 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Need suggestions on how to paint *this*
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »
Sometimes building terrain is easier than choosing the color to PAINT the terrain.  I built this some time ago, but it's been sitting on my shelf for a while.  Once I primed it, I was stuck with a color idea.  Seriously, what color can I paint this ... thing.  Don't know, maybe call it some type of atmospheric processing unit, or terraforming, or ... a Widget. 

The pipes I'm good with, just the main body that's causing me a terrain builder's block

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Need suggestions on how to paint *this*
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
Large scale industrial machinery tends to be painted in colours which are quite bright - I have seen ships' main engines coloured a pale green - this colour (the smiley) precisely:  :)
Light blue, bright orange, red and yellow also exist.
If the installation is civilian, I'd go with one of these. If it's military, then it would be a dull grey (practically unpainted other than the base coat and any labels) or some colour similar to the landscape - not camo, as that would probably work better on a building housing the equipment.

As an example, here's a B&W main engine, with partial cut-away, in the green I mentioned.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:08:30 AM »
Hatches on top + the pipes could very well make it a water processing/filtering unit.
Concrete would be nice, but it lacks the texture for that.
So, like Vanvlak said : colorfull, only I'd go for a faded/worn look with lots of rust.
You can't go wrong with rust  ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline The_Great_White_Kitten

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
What is the usual color of the board you use it with, think about that then go from there. Also things to ask yourself are do you want this piece of terrain to stand out more so than something else, or would you like it to almost fade into the background of the board.

To go a different route, you could have it fit into one of your armies color scheme to give a more coherent look to your table/force when you are the home team. That often works out nicely again depending on what idea you have in mind.

Also I would like to ask could we get a scale shot of this thing, that could help a bit to understand how to picture this thing.

Hope this gives you some ideas,
- Cheers. 

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m not crazy. My reality is just different from yours.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" - Cheshire Cat.