Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:11:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elf hammer  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
Elf hammer
« on: September 21, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »
 I felt inspired to start work on a project I commenced many years ago but which fell by the way side.  High Elves.  The plan will be us the figures for occasional games of 8th ed and Oathmark. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Elf hammer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
They look lovely, especially with the striking highlights. Well done!  :)

Are the bases finished, or will you do a solid colour for the edges? I only ask as it looks like they've scuffed a bit around the bottom.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 04:19:17 PM »
You're off to a good start then

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
Lovely mate  :-*

I wish I'd kept my old Wood Elf and High Elf collections!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
Beautiful figures!

I can’t help feeling sorry for the poor sods who have to put the lions in their harnesses, just trying to put a house cat in a harness and leash is hard enough (and good for a laceration or two).

Reminds me of a scene in the series, Rome, when Mark Anthony walks in, in a mood, and complains that the lions he bought for the chariot in his triumph won’t cooperate. “Is it too much to ask for some damn lions that will pull?!?” I can imagine the cats going about fifty yards, then flopping over for a nap...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »
Well that's a cracking way to motivate yourself. Towards a table ready host. Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
Fished out a few more minis from storage. First up we have the Dragon Princes, I painted these when I was a first year undergraduate ( 96/97) at the time I was really pleased with them, though the passage of time has been less than kind.  I have decided not to repaint them as they provide a good reminder of when I started.

Also. 3 Marauder miniatures wood elves. These figures look as dated as a typewriter but nonetheless have a certain old school charm, I prefer the Jes Goodwin Elves but those are now selling at silly prices.  I also have discovered a Wood elf attack chariot from the engines of destruction set, pulled by 4 horses and with three crew. I bought it a long time ago and it seems to have been painted in thick enamels, I'm pondering how best to strip it. The figure is also missing one of the pieces which go around the side of the chariot

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
I think you're being a bit hard on your younger self - those Dragon Princes still look much better than many I've seen! I do like your more recent Marauder elves too.  8)

As for your attack chariot, you can try stripping it in some Biostrip20 perhaps? There's not much that stuff won't shift, and it's safe on all metal and plastic (but not resin!) minis I've tired it on so far. Any glue or scraps of paint/putty that still remain after the Biostrip20 can be removed with an overnight soak in acetone. If the stripper doesn't remove the paint for some reason, then you're into the realms of dangerous paint thinners and such to remove it, and you might be better off just painting over instead.

Finally, for the missing side, you could try pressmoulding? This is where you make a mould from the side you do have, using some flexible putty like greenstuff/Kneadatite, and then when it's cured, you coat it with a little clean cooking oil and press some new fresh putty into it to create a "cast". If, before the putty fully cures, you gently bend the peice the other way to create a mirrored shape, that would then provide you with the missing part. (Although... don't forget to wash the cast after it's cured, to remove the oil! ;) )

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »
Wow! They bring back memories. I has 12 of them painted up for my High Elf army! I never did use 12 in any WHFB game though  :'(

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »
Major_Gilbear

thank you for the advice and recommendations, I will give that a try

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
Start of a new unit, these are spear armed elves intended to be Avelorn Maiden Gaurd a unit from the 6th ed WFB High elf, which  did not survive into the 7th or 8th ed versions,. I'll just use them as Sea Guard ( they have bows on the back, though I guess i need to think about adding some shields to them. 
I wanted the armour to have a green glow to them to suggest that they had been infused by life magic perhaps from the armour being quenched in blessed water during its forging.  These are resin figures I picked up at a keen price, got another 6 to do.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »
[...] Avelorn Maiden Gaurd a unit from the 6th ed WFB High elf, which  did not survive into the 7th or 8th ed versions [...]

Maiden Guard became Sisters of Averlorn in the later edition(s), and although the plastic models which replaced the metal ones didn't have spears, they were a unit that was both functionally and narratively the same as the Maiden Guard. In fact, I think the only reason they lost the spears option was because GW doubled up the kit with the Shadow Warriors and there wasn't room on the sprues for the spears.

Still, Sea Guard are also a nice alternative use for them, and if I saw them across the table I would have no problem with them being either. :)

I look forward to seeing these all finished with their command models.

Offline Doom Beard 78

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
interesting I had not made the connection. I have the shadow warriors set but keep grimacing at how many fiddly bits you need to glue together.  I then saw a set of 10 of the metal ones on ebay for £25 so snapped those up.  I'll assemble the sisters of Avalon.

I have been playing the Allarielle campaign on total war for a while now, so I am tempted to  have an Avelorn themed force with perhaps a life wizard on great eagle flying around

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »
I see Elric and Moonglum. How do they fit into your schemes?
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 01:03:59 PM »
 lol I wondered if you comment. When they popped up.