Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690844
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The 1st Madras Pioneers  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Dining Room Battles

• Scientist
    • Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles
The 1st Madras Pioneers
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:42:46 PM »

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: The 1st Madras Pioneers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
Very good sir 👏

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »
Nice!
I have a soft spot for these chaps.

That's also an interesting blog you have there.

Thanks for sharing.

Ry
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 01:22:38 AM »
Beautiful unit!  Great to see table-top Pioneers kitted out with the tools of their trade.  I especially love the British officer on foot with the Regimental turban pattern on his puggaree -- wonderful detail!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 11:55:46 AM »
Excellent work!   :-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 03:19:48 AM »
Given that there is a mounted officer, I am wondering if the dismounted 'gentleman' with the colorful puggaree isn't an NCO?

Either way, is their historical precedent for the colorful puggaree?  Hope so because I really like the idea.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 08:02:25 AM »
Excellent work on the headgear and equipment.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
I apologize to Neil, the OP, for not restraining myself and letting him have first crack at answering the puggaree question, but... I waited all day and most of tonight, and will now throw caution to the wind and reply: YES!  There is historical precedent for the colorful puggaree.

Going by contemporary photos and illustrations, British officers of multiple Indian regiments wore helmet puggarees in regimental turban patterns.  It seems this was mostly with full dress uniforms and/or for ceremonial occasions, and the vast majority of photos and artwork I've seen featuring this particular sort of helmet detail features British officers from Indian cavalry regiments.  Examples shown below are from the Guides Cavalry, Poona Horse, 1st madras Light Cavalry, and 1st Bengal Cavalry (Skinner's Horse)...

Here's one illustration of a puggaree in regimental turban pattern worn on the helmet of a British officer of an Indian infantry regiment, 16th Bombay Native Infantry:

On a related front it's much easier to find period photos and art showing British officers of Indian infantry regiments wearing helmet puggarees in the solid facing color of their regiment, such as red for the 6th Infantry, Punjab Frontier Force, as seen here:

I'm not an expert but I think that for cavalry officers regimental pattern puggarees were a rare uniform detail, and for infantry officers an extremely rare one, and it was probably much more rare in the field than when wearing full dress.  Still, over the years I have done like Neil and put regimental pattern puggarees on British officer helmets for my 1st Bombay Grenadiers, 23rd Sikh Pioneers, and Bombay Sappers & Miners.  Some day when I get my 15th Ludhiana Sikhs painted I will do so again.  Their turban colors are just too cool for me to pass up adding the extra touch of visual style.

Finally, my apologies again to Neil AKA: Dining Room Battles, for temporarily hijacking his thread with its beautifully painted turbans and that one very special officer helmet puggaree!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:38:13 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 10:14:12 PM »
Marvellous job.... Researching the unit and painting/converting the figures. Lovely project, thoroughly enjoying following it's progress!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Dining Room Battles

• Scientist
    • Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 10:19:35 PM »
Mad Guru,
Those are some great illustrations!
Neil