Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A roadside shrine for Bushido  (Read 885 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
A roadside shrine for Bushido
« on: September 24, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »

A while ago, I realized that even though I enjoy regular games of Bushido, I really don't have any dedicated terrain for it. True enough, I'm in the process of building a board for it (60x60cm; it's all you need), but on the table you'd need some modular terrain pieces to move around as well.

For those not in the know; Bushido can best be described as an oriental fantasy game. Based primarily on Japanese mythology, but with all types of Asian tropes thrown in as well.

So I went looking for an appropriately sized budha statuette on Ali Express and Ebay. There was plenty of choice, but eventually I stumbled upon a small, solar powered lucky cat thingy that cost just a few bucks, so I thought 'what the heck', and pulled the trigger on that instead.

Last week it arrived. Not in one piece though; the arm had split down the seam (it was a push fit anyway), and I had to sift through the garbage to recover both pieces, as I had immediately thrown out the packaging ::)

I got the white variant:

And since I had some time to kill, I immediately got stuck in. I removed the simple mechanism that moves the arm (ever so slightly) and the cushion-like base. I then superglued both halves of the body back together and sanded the seams smooth. The same was done for the loose arm.

This, I then glued into position with hot glue. Once that cooled down, I set to work with some ProCreate to fill the screw holes on the back and work the loose arm into the body, so it would appear to be one piece.

Once that was properly cured, I filed and sanded those spots smooth, I carefully scribed the facial features into the plastic with a sharp tool, tracing the printed on graphics. The plastic was pretty hard, so it was a bit of a nervewracking job, but I managed without any mishaps.

Sorry for not having any WIP pics to show btw; the above (and below) was all done in a ridiculous flurry of activity, and I simply didn't take the time to take pictures...

The base was a simple affair of some MDF for the base/bottom steps and two small cut offs of XPS foam for the other two steps. Tracing out stones, cutting them with a blade and retracing them with a pen are all standard practice of course.

Glueing them together with hot glue (for speed) wasn't, since my hot glue gun has no temperature settings, so the effect of the glue on the foam was... interesting. But in the end, it got the job done.

I then gave it a very basic paint job of dark grey (mixed with PVA glue), black and brown wash, and then drybrushes of lighter shades of grey.

The cat was given a spray of plastic primer first and then a layer of black. I then painted the entire thing with bronze and gave it a dirty wash of brown and black. After that, I added some Nihilac Oxide Technical paint (first use for me) to some strategic locations, and then it was time to glue the cat to its base.

After this, I had some fun adding different kinds of foliage, sand, gravel, grass and flock to the base. All larger foliage (the fern, the ivy on the back and the other plants) are plastic model- or aquarium plants. The fern started its life as a 1/100 palm tree; I simply cut off the trunk. The ivy consists of cut off pieces of Britain's Trees Oak foliage (one piece/branch), which I managed to snake around the object.

Then it was time for some offerings, from passers by. This was meant to be some sort of rural shrine/statue, in a forest, with some villages and a larger temple nearby (I play the Temple of Ro Kan faction, amongst others ;) ). Backstory is that for luck, passers by will leave a small offering on the steps and then touch the foot of the statue for good luck.

So that's why the foot is very bright compared to the rest of the statue; it's constantly being touched.

Accumulated on the steps are some half finished bottles of liquor, a bowl of rice, a bowl of some sort of vegetables, one with some fruit, a small bundle of flowers, a gourd cup, containing (I don't know; fill it in for yourself ;) ) and some burning incense.

And finally, because the temple of Ro Kan is all about harmony with the elements and nature, most of its priests are often surrounded by animals, so I figured they should be here too.

There's a big, fluffy Siamese cat waiting for any passer by to leave some fish or meat as an offering.

A red cheeked turtle is finding its way along the base of the steps.

And lastly, because I had to for two reasons; a butterfly resting on the fern's leaves.

And that's it!

An odd start, but this is now my first dedicated Bushido terrain piece... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: A roadside shrine for Bushido
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »
Love it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:48:01 PM »
That looks AMAZING!  :o Nice work on that!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 01:08:45 AM »
That’s brilliant mate,love it  :-* :-* :-* , and the butterfly is super  ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 03:29:53 AM »
Cool, and love the 'in game' story you have for the piece, especially the well rubbed foot.  And I see I am not the only one who sees ferns in the tops of palm trees.  Great job with excellent execution.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Awesome job, dude. So much lovely detail. Can't wait to see if your whole board lives up to this standard, cause that would look amazing.

So, you want my Cult or Savage Wave to be the first to defile this tranquil little sanctuary?
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 09:54:32 PM »
Many thanks all; much appreciated :)

...and the butterfly is super  ;)

Well obviously, with me goading you on the last two BSC's for moar butterfliez, I thought I'd better put my brush where my keyboard was, so that's one of the two reasons I did one as well :D

Awesome job, dude. So much lovely detail. Can't wait to see if your whole board lives up to this standard, cause that would look amazing.

You know that's the goal of course ;)

So, you want my Cult or Savage Wave to be the first to defile this tranquil little sanctuary?

They're welcome to try! (and will probably succeed too ::) ).

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:57:26 PM »
Absolutely fantastic  8) 8) 8)