Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: International Brigades Organisation  (Read 1051 times)

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
International Brigades Organisation
« on: October 06, 2021, 03:44:27 PM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for information on the organisation of the Companies of the Intl. Brigades during the SCW. I've found a lot of info on the Battalions and Divisions in the Osprey book on the Republican Army, but nothing on the composition below that. I know what a single platoon looks like from the "Espana" supplement to Chain of Command, but I'm struggling with relevant information of the companies.

thanks in advance for any help!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: International Brigades Organisation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:05:15 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not much help other than to say "organization" might not be the best word when it comes to the International Brigades!  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tercio39

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 06:16:04 PM »
Hello Captain  , it would  all depend on which brigade/battalion  you are talking about and during which period . The British Battalion went into the Jarama battle approximately 500 strong  , organised into 4 companies , three rifle companies and a machine gun company ,  and a battalion HQ .  If you’d like more detail or information on another period or battalion let me know and I will endeavour to find out for you . Cheers Alex

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »
Hi Alex,
The British Battalion would be a great start, as that particular formation is what I'm aiming for. As I understand it, each rifle company was built around 3 pelotons, each with three sections, is that correct?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »
Hi, according to the Osprey Elite series book on the International Brigades the British Battalion had three rifle companies and an MG company. Each co had c100 men, although No 1 Co at one point had 145. Each rifle Co broke down into three sections and each section into three 8-man "platoons".The Brigade anti-tank battery was often attached with its 3 x Russian 37mm  A/T guns. I believe the MG Company had 8 M1910 Russian-made maxim guns.

Hope this helps.

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 07:20:35 AM »
Thanks, that was really helpful! I'll have to get my hands on that volume - the issue on the Republican Army is (understandably) not very specific.

Offline tercio39

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »
Hi Captain , yes from what I can gather each company was composed of 3 sections ,Pelotons in Spanish ,  each of approximately 30 men and led by a sergeant . The machine gun company at Jarama consisted of 72 men and as stated by SJWi 8 First World War Maxim machine guns . The other three companies  also had M1915 Chauchat light machine guns and M1895 colt-brownings at Jarama . The  following may be of interest to you in that it relates to the Nationalists organisation .   Peter Kemp served with the Spanish Foreign Legion and he says that ‘ a Spanish infantry platoon is divided into two sections or half platoons of 20-25 men each commanded by a sergeant . It is confusing that the Spanish word for platoon is seccion , and the term for a section or half platoon is Peloton . A Peloton contains three Escuadras each commanded by a corporal or senior private ‘ . Hope this is of some use . Alex
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 04:44:50 PM by tercio39 »