Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: And now for something completely different... Fremitus as a Roman  (Read 753 times)

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
So... this doesn't really belong in my Macedonian/Successors project thread, so I figured I'd make a separate silly post for it. :D

Despite my affinity for the Hellenistic period, I am a Latin teacher by trade, so I thought it would be fun to model myself as a miniature Roman. I have yet to unveil it to my students, but I feel like the three or four (out of 200 or so) who don't already hate me for forcing them to memorize verb conjugations might get a kick out of it lol

I started with a Footsore "Gangs of Rome" mini. Chopped the head off and added a Mad Robot bald head (Fremitus is a friend of the razor). After Greenstuff-ing the head on, I then Greenstuffed a triumphant beard (Fremitus' friendship of the razor stops at about the ears). I based him on a metal washer and decided that unlike all of my other minis, he needed to stand on a cobblestone street, so I cut tiny little blocks out of spare pink foam and glued them down to form the road. After priming, highlighting, and doing a few successive layers of grey, different whites, and earthy washes, followed by a bit of flock because why not, I drilled a tiny hole in the base, and the mini-man, and attached with a bit of paperclip (I figured just gluing him on wouldn't be as stable.)

I'm fairly pleased with the results. The eyes look like an anime character who's just had his eyes dilated at the optometrist, but I feel I captured that classic Latin teacher "what do you mean you didn't do your homework?!?!?" eye twitch lol

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:22:41 AM by Fremitus Borealis »
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Re: And now for something completely different... Fremitus as a Roman
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 04:18:10 AM »
Not too many hobbies allow for this type of expedition outside of the field, so it's nice to see another example.

I'm sure your students will love it, perhaps more so if you can   sculpt a laptop and slot it under one of 'your' feet and have yourself waving a paper marked 'homework'.

Thanks for sharing.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
I remember conjugating Latin verbs in high school :'(  Great figure.  Definitely looks the part. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
I am reminded of Life of Brian, where he has his
Latin Graffiti corrected by the Centurion (John Cleese)
& has to copy it out a thousand times. lol lol lol

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 05:20:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Yeah that "Life of Brian" scene is the best thing ever. Unfortunately I can't show it in school because the punchline is that he's gonna cut his balls off if he doesn't finish his work lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 07:52:08 PM »
In a British comedy (either Yes Minister, or its sequel
Yes Prime Minister) the Minister/Prime Minister is told
a story by one of his Civil Servants.
A circular having landed on the desk of a minister, &
it was a complete load of rubbish, such that he just
wanted to write, 'BALLS!' across its front & send it back.
He thought better of it & instead put, 'Round Objects'.
Some days later it reappeared on his desk with an attached
question, 'Who IS Round, and to what does he object?'

lol lol lol