Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What's next for Oathmark?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: What's next for Oathmark?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:49 AM »
I wonder if a way in which an ogres kit could be made more cost-effective and popular would be to make it a generic "large humanoids" kit with options for all the various Oathmark creatures of that sort: ogres, trolls, bugganes and eachies.

That might sound mad, but all those creatures seem to be about the same size, and they're all big, ugly and (presumably) hairy. The Wargames Atlantic lizardmen sprue might be instructive here, as it allows several different species to be built, simply by providing four full sets of heads.

After all, one person's troll is another's ogre, and you could probably get away with distinguishing them purely by heads and arms/weapons. There might be ambiguities that could be exploited between fur, armour and clothing - as with Tolkien's description of the trolls at the Morannon - so that a scaly body with scaly arms could be a scale-mailed body with hairy arms.

I've no idea of the economics of this, and I'm entirely willing to accept that the idea's a non-starter, but there must be something in the notion of having one kit that works for several things; GW does it a lot, for example, as do the Oathmark kits for different troop types. Given the generosity of the existing Oathmark sprues with spare parts, it doesn't seem entirely unfeasible. And I'd have thought that the market for a troll/ogre/other monster kit would be much bigger than for any of the individual species - especially as bugganes sound quite a bit like bugbears from D&D ...

I like your thinking on this mate.

It could make for some more fun kitbashing with bits from other companies as well.

The way I buy boxes now, I no longer plan on just what is intended from the box. Each is just another addition to the bits box, so the more diversity the better. That said, it may be because I prefer skirmish games to rank and flank battle games.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »
I look forward to seeing what 1st Age conversions Graham Greene will come up with for those Elves.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
Wargames Atlantic showed off their new plastic chariot prototype on their web-page for those interested.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2021, 07:35:52 AM »
Wargames Atlantic showed off their new plastic chariot prototype on their web-page for those interested.
It looks great! I didnt wanted a chariot for my humans. Until now...

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
Another news! Trolls are coming for Oathmark from Northstar Miniatures:
http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2021/11/northstar-miniatures-new-oathmark.html?m=1
(Picture is with ogres from another line)
I like the simple design, but its too late for us: we bought river trolls from Reaper.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
Those trolls are pretty good. Not sure yet about the Ogres, but Northstar do a few decent ones in their Shadowdeep range. Not regimental types, though.
Haven't tried Oathmark yet, got the book and some metal command groups. Might try my hand on the skellies, some day ;-).
Leadhead

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
G'day All,

First post after years of lurking! Printable Scenery do a lovely catapult, trebuchet and ballistae too. I'm planning on adding the the catapult to the Human army I'm building presently.

Welcome! :)

Not sure if this is unknown around here, but on another board I post on someone had done some snooping and found art depicting Elven heavy infantry, along with orcs and goblins.

[...]

I'm particularly excited for the Orc infantry, assuming all this is real, as the bodies are gonna make great mercenary/hedge knights out on campaign. (Potentially/Hopefully)

Yes, they are known/real. :) Whilst the stated *intention* by Northstar is to do a plastic kit for every unit in the game eventually, I am less sure that this will in fact be the case - three infantry kits, a cavalry kit, and maybe a "warmachines" kit is about the most I could honestly see being worthwhile per race (...maybe counting Orcs and Goblins as 1.5 races?).

I agree the Orc bodies could make for good hedge knights, or really even any sort of roughed-up heavy humanoid troops. I suppose it will depend a bit on whether they end up being more hunch-backed like the Goblins, or more upright like other Humans.

[Wargames Atlantic chariot link]

Looks really good I think! I have been extremely impressed with the recent Wargames Atlantic historical kits, and am eagerly awaiting their two new Conquistador kits.

Another news! Trolls are coming for Oathmark from Northstar Miniatures:
http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2021/11/northstar-miniatures-new-oathmark.html?m=1
(Picture is with ogres from another line)
I like the simple design, but its too late for us: we bought river trolls from Reaper.

I like these too, but I had hoped they would be a plastic kit... I also hope there will be three different ones, and not just the two shown. I mean, since they are typically fielded in units of 3.

The Ogres they are shown with are reasonably nice, although I think they could be a bit small. The Rangers of Shadowdeep Ogres are lovely, but again there's only two "dressed" ones, and I would have really liked a third in the same style if I was to use them in Oathmark.  :?

Speaking of Trolls, Wargames Atlantic shared some early renders of an upcoming plastic kit a couple of months back:

[Wargames Atlantic Trolls link]

I do like these, but I'm not sure how much of an Oathmark "vibe" they give me. Hopefully we get some more varied poses too!

I also saw WGA are doing some Ogres too, but I don't think they've made any substantial progress on the sculpting of those yet (that I've seen, anyway).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2021, 03:32:49 PM »
Yeah those trolls look awesome, but definitely a LOTR (Peter Jackson) style, and not necessarily Oathmarky.  I too am waiting on the Conquistadors for a fantasy/medieval skirmish project.

Only Oathmark thing I'm waiting on at the moment is Orcs.  I'm aiming to replace my metal Orcs with plastic ones, and surprisingly few companies make them in plastic.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2021, 03:40:35 PM »
@ Elbows:

Yeah, agreed!
Interestingly, both Wargames Atlantic and Wargames Factory already had a go at making plastic "Orcs", but I've not really been very taken with either of them for various reasons.
A more GW-style savage Orc set was released by Shieldwolf Miniatures too, but the weirdly demonic heads with their dislocated jaws always put me off. Fingers crossed the Oathmark ones hit the, erm, mark!  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
I hadn't seen the Wargames Atlantic ones - I'll look for them.  I had a box of the old Wargames Factory ones, and they were definitely underwhelming.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2021, 04:17:17 PM »
Apologies, the Wargames Atlantic ones are listed as Goblins, not Orcs:

Still, I'm sure I recall they were referred to as "Orcs" at some point in their development...  ???

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2021, 05:34:04 PM »
Ah, okay.  Yeah, their new "goblins" actually look pretty good - which is amusing since they're decidedly based on the old LOTR orc artwork (the same art that the Wargames Factory orcs were based on).

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2021, 01:42:53 AM »
For 5.00USD  the Deep Cuts catapult is a great solution.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 06:33:39 AM »
I like these too, but I had hoped they would be a plastic kit... I also hope there will be three different ones, and not just the two shown. I mean, since they are typically fielded in units of 3.
There are three different ones!
https://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/2021/oathmark-trolle-preview/