Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690615
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Many Marders  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Many Marders
« on: October 04, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »

I'm gradually building up a decent collection of 1:100 (15mm) Marders, though I'm still missing a few types. Above, left to right:
3d-printed: SdKfz 135 Marder I, SdKfz 132 Marder II
Plastic kits from PSC: SdKfz 139 Marder III, SdKfz 138 Marder III-H

And my most recent 3d print, just finished last night, the Marder III-M

I'm missing crew figures for most of them, so I'll have to have a rummage around and see what I can come up with. I think I've got some old Peter Pig artillerymen that might fit the bill, but where they are I have no idea.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Many Marders
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:26 PM »
Fantastic!

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 11:44:38 PM »
They look great Fitz. Peter Pig does a Self Propelled Gun crew in the WW2 German range which (with re-heading for variety) is very useful.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 02:24:15 AM »
I've always had really good service from Peter Pig, and I really like their figures, but with the international mail situation the way it is now, I'll buy from overseas only as a last resort, and only when I don't mind waiting for three months for anything to get here.

Fortunately, there are getting to be many more 3d printing options for figures now. Downloading STLs isn't affected by supply chain issues (so far).

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 01:54:23 PM »
Don't know what the kits are like but how about the plastic soldier company Marders - build variety of tanks so could build as Marders or alternate.  Looks like they include different possible crew figures so you may be able to spread out amongst your current force

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »
Fitz I think Brookhurst hobbies carries Peter Pig in the US of A if that’s any help (they certainly used to).

BALM

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 08:03:26 PM »
Fitz I think Brookhurst hobbies carries Peter Pig in the US of A if that’s any help (they certainly used to).

Thanks, but I'm in New Zealand, about as far away from everywhere as it's possible to get.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 08:05:05 PM »
I couldn't find my Peter Pig artillerymen, and international mail order these days is the pits, so I bought some 3dBreed digital models instead. They're pretty chunky, but I don't mind that in a 15mm figure. However, I had to remove the built-in supports from the files, because they're rubbish, and from the first set of six figures I had only one print success.

Since I was fiddling about with them in Blender in any case, I took the opportunity to do a bit of head-swapping on one of them, to provide a bit of variety. The good thing about vehicle crew figures is that not much of them tends to show below the shoulders, so changing heads does a lot to make them look individualized.

The original figure is the 4th from the right. I made the new heads and just added them to headless bodies at various angles — I could get still more variety by mirroring the models in the slicer, as long as I don't mind having their water bottles on the wrong hip. Which I don't, really.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 11:13:07 PM »
Apologies Fitz I just lazily assumed. If you only need a few packs and it would be viable/cheaper (I don’t know what the international situation is like but can imagine) for me buy them and post them to you just give me a shout - I’m always happy for the excuse to buy more Peter Pig stuff!

The head swaps look great and you’re definitely right that in vehicles the head is often 50-90% of what’s visible and that explains why I like to re-head my FoW crews with PP heads for variety and a more characterful appearance.

BALM

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 11:32:07 PM »
Apologies Fitz I just lazily assumed. If you only need a few packs and it would be viable/cheaper (I don’t know what the international situation is like but can imagine) for me buy them and post them to you just give me a shout - I’m always happy for the excuse to buy more Peter Pig stuff!

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate the sentiment. Unfortunately, USPS have just announced that they're not delivering anything to New Zealand, because they don't have the transport. So that means anything from the US has to come via one of the freight companies, and is even more expensive.  :-[

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 01:39:14 AM »

Here are a couple of the modified 15mm crewmen in my Marder III M. I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 06:05:50 PM »
I’m U.K. does that make a difference? I think those crew look excellent, a really good fit.

BALM

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 06:18:56 PM »
You said these were 15mm?

Incredible job on the painting. My 1/56th / 28mm aren't anywhere near as good as that! ;-(
------------------
My interests are predominantly WWII, played in 28mm, and custom terrain-making.
Check out my blog at https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 07:08:23 PM »
Great looking combination of Marders and crews. Well done, and your own work printing as well - I am impressed.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »
They do look terrific, where did the STL files come from?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---