Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 18 Oct - Bounty Hunter and friends  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
18 Oct - Bounty Hunter and friends
« on: October 07, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
I've been bitten by the sci fi bug, but am bereft of sci fi miniatures (apart from a literal handful of 40k guards). Fortunately I've a number of modern-ish miniatures who work as decent stand ins for much of the enemy factions

The crew deserves a bit more attention, though, so I ordered some Stargrave crew and, with some very elderly green stuff, have been mixing & matching them with the large number of fantasy / historical plastic sprues I've been hoarding for the last few years.

If memory serves, the first trio include parts from a Perry War of the Roses sprue and Frostgrave male & female warrior sprues.

The painting is a little rusty after a hobby hiatus, and I'm aiming to get these minis game-ready rather than spend too much longer striving for not-that-much improvement. I'm trying to get the knack of these contrast paints too - I'm having mixed results at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:21:06 PM by Idle Doodler »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Building up a stock of prospective crew members for 5 Parsecs From Home
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
Looks fine.  You're doing better on those damn tiny little wrist-screens than I am.  :)

Blasted FLGS still hasn't gotten 5 Parsecs in.  Only got my physical copy of Quarantine 37 yesterday.  Insert usual rant about lousy uS distribution here.   :?

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 05:48:48 PM »
There was much pre-attempt varnishing and post-attempt frantic wiping away of those wrist displays. And much cursing my innate fussiness with regards to eyes; having done it on the modern models, I can't not do them on the sci fi ones 'cos that would just look off.

I sympathise on the book front - I feel the same when looking at RPG goods, all of which seem to have to come across the pond from the US! I've been working from a print out of the Parsecs PDF courtesy of the office Xerox, but have just received a notice of shipping on the physical copy. Looking forward to it.

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 06:49:25 PM »
I feel the same when looking at RPG goods, all of which seem to have to come across the pond from the US!

Well, you've got Pelgrane Press in the UK and Free League right across the North Sea.  I'd trade WotC and Paizo together for either of them any day of the week.  :)

Although admittedly, a lot of the more interesting small publishers seem to be in the Western hemisphere lately.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 04:51:17 AM »
Great looking crew
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 09:31:47 AM »
Thanks!

Well, you've got Pelgrane Press in the UK and Free League right across the North Sea.  I'd trade WotC and Paizo together for either of them any day of the week.  :)

Although admittedly, a lot of the more interesting small publishers seem to be in the Western hemisphere lately.

It's the small independents I was thinking of - Zinequest is very much a PDF-only event for me!

Second batch of crew done:

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »
Funnily enough my copy turned up yesterday, agreed the text could be a bit bigger and easier to read, but it is what it is.

I am just looking through my painted sci-fi mins and I will be picking a crew immently. I am going to start with 5 humans and a bot, why not  lol

Take care people and remember in space no one can hear you scream  ;)

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 01:02:26 PM »
 :D crew looks sweet!!!!

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 02:23:57 PM »
It's the small independents I was thinking of - Zinequest is very much a PDF-only event for me!

Yeah, they're hard to get efficiently in hardcopy, especially outside of the US.  Maybe try to find a US friend to have everything shipped to and then have them send over a bunch of the zines at once?  Usually cheaper to do multiples of the darn things than individual copies IME, I usually buy several issues at once for that.  Does require waiting a while though, since the Zinequest stuff is wildly scattershot about when (or if, in the bad cases) each thing actually ships.

Sure has grown a lot the last couple of years.  One part of the hobby that's doing well, anyway.  Kind of wish minis rules writers did something similar - zines of scenarios or optional rules or new troop/army types, that sort of thing.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 04:52:50 PM »
I make good use of the office printer's booklet function, and it makes me feel a little less guilty by utilising a stack of recycled paper. They're not as pretty as they could be, but are perfectly serviceable.

Dead tree guilt aside, my 5 Parsecs copy came in the other day. Very nice and crisp, though I think I'll keep my printed-and-display-booked copy handy for ease of reference - the pages flip across a lot faster, and weathers tea stains more easily!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 12:01:06 PM »
Here comes the blue phase.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 08:18:18 AM »
Dang, now I got that. "I'm blue" song stuck in my head.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 04:20:43 PM »
Dabudi dabuda!

Recently finished watching The Mandalorian and figured it would be appropriate to have something ready for when I roll up the Bounty Hunter class in 5 Parsecs - the only figure I've put together so far with any real intention.

Love the versatility of these [something]grave kits. Allows one to lean into the grubby sci fi aesthetic.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: 18 Oct - Bounty Hunter and friends
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 04:24:57 PM »
I hadn't thought about using the female soldier sprue before, but these look really good.

I bought the female wizard sprue to build some Jedi type figures, but I'll take a second look at the soldiers now as well.

• Mastermind
Re: 18 Oct - Bounty Hunter and friends
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
Nice Mandolorian there.  Barbarian body as a base?

I hadn't thought about using the female soldier sprue before, but these look really good.

I bought the female wizard sprue to build some Jedi type figures, but I'll take a second look at the soldiers now as well.

The one on the right looks to be a female wizard body, sans the separate optional bit of cloth that hangs down in front. 

The Soldiers 2 kit works just fine as well, of course.  Cultist bodies work a charm as well.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:05:53 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »