Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: String and Sticky-back Plastic - Who Project Log  (Read 7678 times)

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
Re: String and Sticky-back Plastic - Who Project Log
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 09:08:35 AM »
Could you show a picture of the BTD Ace you mentioned?

I have some Daleks that were a bit wonky but beyond that I've been lucky

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 11:08:58 PM »
She's long been sold sorry, but I'll dig through some old photos on the off chance.

Speaking of photos, it's been a grey week here, and when it's been nice, I've been at work, so nothing new to show sorry. I did pick up a new mini for a [very] obscure character, but I have a pile of classic Citadel fantasy to go through on a commission, so that may have to wait a bit too.  :?

So in order to keep my steam up on this project, I'll be talking about how I plan to play my games, some fun theory and headcannon and other bits and pieces. So that the thread stays visually interesting, I'll be posting some relevant images and some random shit like this:

I made a bunch of memes using New Who quotes with Classic Doctors for fun and to torment someone in my RPG group, so maybe we'll be seeing them throughout this project.

Current Who fix: Sword of Orion (8th Doctor Audio)

I'll go into it in depth later, but my plan for most Doctor Who minis game is actually to adapt The Doctor Who Roleplaying Game published by Cubicle 7 for tabletop play. For those who enjoy RPGs but want to get away from the "combat loop" from other systems, C7DWRPG is excellent and there's lots of fan content out there for it. I've run it a couple of times and always enjoyed it.
For some games, I'll be using Warpath Firefight, Wars of Insurgency and maybe even some stripped-down Secrets of the Third Reich for when I want to do something like UNIT fighting aliens or Dalek Civil War. But let's leave it there for now, because I think I see some sun coming through the office window.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 11:10:29 PM »
Ok, got some decent light so I was able to get this picture:

My collection of Anachronaunts for superhero gaming (human warriors pulled from throughout time to fight for/against Kang/Immortus) also works nicely for a The War Games style game. I mean, if I'm wargaming Doctor Who, it makes sense to wargame The War Games, right? I'm thinking a multi-Doctor story where the War Chief has been resurrected during the Faction Paradox war and a few more of the "fighty" Companions have been drawn in.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 11:08:00 PM »
Had a stroke of luck and found some half-price minis at work while dusting (no, really).

Sorry, Google Photos refuses to rotate it properly.

Now The Dominators is hardly a true classic, but for $5AUD a mini, I was fairly chuffed. I have to say, the production on the packaging is amazing, I can see where some of the costs come from now.

Thanks Sheriden!

Now, the minis, of course are where I get let down, the Dominators are weirdly tall, the Quarks far too short and neither seems to be in scale with the plastic Daleks from the Exterminate! box.  :?

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
Not to quibble, but are they really that far off, at least from each other?  Dominators were pretty tall, and Quarks quite short:

Jamie's not exactly the tallest companion ever, but he's certainly dwarfed there.

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »
Arent the Warlord games ones 32mm? Is there much of a difference?

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2021, 08:36:51 PM »
I'll have to take some comparison shots when I have a day off to show what I mean, but the range really looks all over the place in terms of scale. I know it must have been tricky to work with old production stills and those DVD fan documentaries, but I'm reminded of an article in Fanatic where one of GW's sculptors talked about keeping a current edition Space Marine on his desk to maintain a sense of scale.

I'll admit though, "being in a weird scale to prevent compatibility with other ranges" is a major bugbear of mine with miniature wargames. I'm not sure if it was Warlord or the BBC, but having a huge range of 28mm historical miniatures and not having your Doctor Who range fit with that just seems like a bad way to move units. Get a sprue of Jacobites with Troughton and Jaime or Dark Age Warriors with your Sontarons, you know, stuff like that.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
I'll admit though, "being in a weird scale to prevent compatibility with other ranges" is a major bugbear of mine with miniature wargames.

Can't argue with that.  Hawk (and now TTC) lost a hell of a lot of sales by going with 10mm for Dropzone Commander, Malifaux's range is mostly worthless since all their human-ish figs are grossly out of scale with everything, and GW's endless scale creep is a huge turnoff for me and a lot of others.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 12:06:23 AM »
Ok so here's a picture that hopefully demonstrates what I'm talking about:

Warlord Tetrap, Quark, Dominator, Dalek and Crooked Dice Pertwee.

Ok, so some of the models seem to scale well to Pertwee, but some don't and the Warlord stuff just looks all over the place next to each other. At least, that's my take? It's not a dealbreaker, just kind of annoying that the models from the same company don't match each other all that well.

Offline TripleBackflip

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 07:40:51 PM »
I see, I might just stick to BTD for now, they're not perfect but their stuff fits together at least.

Mind you, that Dalek sure is pretty :-*

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »
Been pretty busy with work, so haven't gotten much painting done, but I did find these in my favourite comic store (All Star Comics Melblourne):

Haven't finished reading them yet, but Frobisher and Absolom Daak are in them, so that's cool.  :D

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
Not a big update sorry, but some Who-related content on my blog:

https://leadcapes.blogspot.com/2021/11/obligatory-doctor-who-fancasting-post.html

And here's another filler-picture to keep the thread looking good.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 11:17:10 PM »
Slow progress as Kill Team, terrain and Sludge take up my painting time, but I have got some Daleks undercoated.

Tamyia Silver for one faction, Retributor armour when I build the other.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2021, 11:07:13 PM »
Still nothing painted sorry, though I have a few things on the table in various states of completion. Hopefully something to show not long into the new year. Instead, here's a little something that's been on my mind...

Current Who fix: The Stones of Blood (4th Doctor, Key To Time)

So something that's pretty great about Doctor Who is that it can, to an extent, cross-over with quite a great deal of other media. We've talked, briefly, about the Marvel comics, but as well as Death's Head, The Doctor encountered the Transformers, Spider-Man and much of the Doctor Strange cast in his time with The House of Ideas. Now, even Marvel tends to paint The Doctor as originating from a different universe, ie, not 616 (Earth-5556 for those keeping score at home) so it's safe to say that Doctor Who (the programme) does not and has never taken place in any version of the Marvel Universe. Check out the salient points here:
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/The_Doctor_(Earth-5556)

What about some other fictional universes? Well the Big Finish Audio Drama series "Kaldor City" places Blake's 7 in the same setting as Doctor Who, which works fairly well, especially the the relatively "peaceful" period between the Cyber-wars and Draconian conflict. A brief aside, Blake's 7 is famously a 'dark' take on Star Trek, but I tend to not think of it as actually taking place in that universe, rather being in an alternate reality similar to the Mirror universe portrayed in TOS and Discovery. Now, I'm not a huge Blake's 7 fan myself, so I probably won't be adding any miniatures to this project along those lines, but there's an in there, know what I mean?

One of the best things about Classic Who is that it's oddly self-contained. Even massive alien invasions and world-ending threats tend to be "off to the side" to a certain degree. Sure, Cybermen once marched out of St Pauls, but not a lot of people saw that and it was forgotten by the 1980s. Doctor Who plays things small in a way that lets it kind of sit not quite in the real world, but means it doesn't slot well into settings like, say, the Marvel Universe. Blake's 7 and Doctor Who work because there's nothing there for either to really chafe against, but the Daleks and Borg, for example, don't really seem like they'd let each other hang around, you know? So rather than just shove some of my favourite stuff into my Doctor Who minis for the sheer gonzo factor (though I may do that occasionally for a bit of fun anyway), I want to try and see what actually "fits".

So Blake's 7, yes, though not for me, how about Adam Adamant Lives!? Seems obvious, what with the Verity Lambert connection, and Adam Adamant feels like the kind of person that would have been involved in the "proto-UNIT" seen in Remembrance of the Daleks and The Web of Fear, but wouldn't have had much crossover with The Doctor. I may have to grab the set from Crooked Dice and do a team-up game at some point, seems like a waste not to. Teaming Adam up with Pertwee is a little too obvious though, I'm thinking the bombast of 6 or blandness of 5 would actually be a better match.

Now, where have I been going with this? Well, I'm kind of a fan of Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" series (and his Doctor Who writing, duh) and I'm keen to see if I can mush that in somewhere. Like Who, the Rivers books are fairly self-contained, big things do happen, but your average person doesn't notice the wizard battles or fae incursions. Peter Grant, the protagonist, being a Doctor Who fan does put a little crimp in there, but there is a connection to, of all things, The Dresden Files, so why not? I was re-reading Whispers Underground recently and came across an interesting section where Peter and co find a WWII-era bunker in the Underground system;

"There used to be a top-secret government agency down here... Only I heard they got relocated to Scotland" (pp. 281 in the paperback if anyone wants to check my math)

I did some digging in the online Rivers fandom on this quote, but oddly no-one picked it up. Can someone nerdier than I (which, as I'm on an independent miniature wargames forum talking about mashing Rivers of London into my Doctor Who games, is not all that many people) help me out with this? When I get the chance I'll be watching Web of Fear again to see if it is a Who reference, but for now I guess I'll keep brewing the idea.

That was a little long, sorry, but haven't had much time to myself lately and just needed to get it all down.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2021, 11:52:23 PM »
Interesting,especially the Rivers of London stuff,as I’m a big fan(currently sitting reading this in my new Nightingale t-shirt).
Your threads a bit of a cracker  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.