Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690501
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Longstreet Grand Campaign - Game 2 AAR  (Read 734 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Longstreet Grand Campaign - Game 2 AAR
« on: October 10, 2021, 07:35:23 AM »
We played Game 2 of our Longstreet Grand Campaign last Monday night.

The Yankees faced with two occupied hilltops decided on a massive attack on their right while their cavalry pinned the rest of the Rebels.

Initially the Federal Regiments moved as ordered and made good ground, the Confederate right was pinned as the Yankees hoped but the Rebels reacted smartly and their artillery and reserve cavalry were quickly moved to face the Union assault and assist the defenders of the hilltop.

It wasn’t long before the Yankee right hook lost all co-ordination, the main columns experienced unexpectedly poor terrain that slowed them while lost orders and rivalries between Officers led to two uncoordinated (and unsuccessful) charges on the hilltop! One out of two Union Regiments was dispersed in these actions.

Then even though the Confederates had redeployed to face their Union troops the Yankees launched a second major charge! This failed too and under heavy Rebel fire the defeated Federal Regiments broke and retired leaving the Rebels in command of the crucial high ground.

A great victory for the Confederates losing only 5  bases while destroying Union bases!

A action packed and relatively quick game was had, we ran through the Grand campaign process afterwards and are now ready for Game 3!

Some pictures from the night...
The Union columns knew begin their attack expecting the rough ground before them but the swampy terrain behind that was a surprise and this was to cost them dearly!

Entrenched, Colonel Clampett's 'Boys' prepare to receive the Yankees, who were the Zouaves of Colonel Zook!

The first Union charge on the hill failed as one Regiment failed to get its orders in time and the other attacking alone was easily repulsed by the Southerners!

The Rebs continue to hold their hilltop position despite being changed twice, bombarded and fired on! To the rear of the hill the Yankees form up to advance again all the while taking casualties from fire!

The full AAR is on the TSOG Blog here...
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2021/10/tsog-longstreet-grand-campaign-2-game-2.html
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Longstreet Grand Campaign - Game 2 AAR
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
A lovely sized game that packed a lot of narrative. That would be an interesting situation to apply to other rulesets. The ‘swampy ground being a surprise’, was that an unknown element thrown into the game, like a random event?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »
A lovely sized game that packed a lot of narrative. That would be an interesting situation to apply to other rulesets. The ‘swampy ground being a surprise’, was that an unknown element thrown into the game, like a random event?

Maurice has a card that can be used to make difficult terrain appear, usually as an enemy unit is charging.
I suspect Longstreet has one too.
Some of my mates hated it in Maurice, so we don't play that.  :(
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 10:27:55 PM »
Hey Norm!
Replied to you on the blog. Also vtsaogames has it right there is an event Card that allows terrain placement, Longstreet is pretty divisive with gamers From what I’ve read (Card driven play and either charge or move allowed as a brigade action per turn) I find them refreshing as the card play help counter balance war game players all seeing abilities in games. My mates play these with me but in turn I play Rules they want that I find less satisfying it’s a good trade off!
BTW vtsaogames you have inspired me to get out my set of Maurice Rules haven’t used them in ages! Thanks.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:46:29 AM »
Nice looking game.

I tend to agree with vstagames mates, such mechanisms as the "heaven sent swamp" tend to irritate to the point of irateness some gamers (seen it firsthand a few times now).  While it is possible to get some surprise in terrain and I like to incorporate such elements in games, a swamp big enough to slow down a brigade is almost certainly to have been scouted before an engagement, especially during an ACW battle.  So, I'd rate that has highly unrealistic.  And I like games that take away the helicopter view so beloved of many gamers.  Just needs to be believable.  But sounds like the players had a game they enjoyed and that is the ultimate goal.