Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Campaign 1943 OHW scenarios meet 'O' Group  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Campaign 1943 OHW scenarios meet 'O' Group
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:35:39 AM »
A short ladder campaign for east front 1943. I am combining scenarios from Neil Thomas One Hour Wargames, with the 'O' Group rules from David Brown.

The blog post explains how the campaign was set up and gives a brief AAR of the opening action.

Link
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/10/a-short-campaign-ohw-meets-o-group.html

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: Campaign 1943 OHW scenarios meet 'O' Group
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 06:46:21 PM »
That looks interesting Norm. I’m tempted by O group and it’s not the scale I’d usually play. Am I right in saying that you played it as each infantry stand was a squad and the group a platoon rather than platoons and a company (apologies I struggle to remember the correct way round for these designations above platoon for some reason)? This would be much more what I was looking for - I’ve noted down your changes and will have to try and have a look at O Group. Thank you for posting.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:59:19 AM »
Hi, yes. In full ‘O’ Group you basically start with an infantry battalion, which is formed for 3 companies, each of three platoons. So in effect the battalion will have 9 separate platoon formations on the table. I had three platoons, but with the extra supports (the tanks and A/T gun) counting also as independent formations, so in my game, each side was running with 6 formations.

In the game, a platoon is physically formed of 3 stands (so in full ‘O’ group, the battalion is actually 27 infantry stands). Each stand is a section or squad. You fight and move by platoon, but can suffer casualties by the section, reducing the effectiveness of the platoon.

When firing, you get a number of fire dice for the platoon. In close combat you get a number of dice per section, so a platoon on its last legs will always be vulnerable …… though the dice can still surprise :-)

Overall it works well to bring a battalion sized game, plus assets into a single play session. In my example, I was using the rules to fight a company sized action with supports. It is not what the rules are intended for, which I why I had to make some amendments. I think this loses the full scope of what the rules are about, but still works enough to get the system going and enjoy a game.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 09:07:39 AM »
It's the bit about snipers I found interesting, they pop up randomly and strike with three dice, if I've gormed it properly? Presumably three goes at one selected target, with the sniper removed from the game if all three plinks miss his intended?
I kind of like that idea, might develop it for a stalking PIAT bomber.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 02:57:29 PM »
Hi Harry. I didn't use snipers. they are an optional rule (1 per battalion costing 1 point in a points game) and used as you say, with some limits in relation to the enemy and board edge as to where they can pop up. They seem a worthwhile investment as any unused order dice are lost at the end of the turn, so in that situation, you may as well use a dice to call up a sniper deployment.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 01:08:15 PM »
Thank you Norm. As I said it’s not my usual cup of erm… (I don’t drink tea so) water but you have piqued my interest.

Thanks

BALM

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:28:52 PM »
The 2nd battle in the short 1943 campaign ladder has been played out and a short AAR is on the blog (link below).

This is a 'One Hour Wargames' scenario with 'O' Group rules, using 10mm Pendraken figures on a 3' x 3' table. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/10/2nd-battle-in-1943-campaign-ladder.html

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »
I’m really enjoying reading about your games, thank you for posting them. Out of curiosity apart from controlling/directing the action; why were the Russians not allowed into woods? (Dendrophobia, Mines, just impassable woodland or fiercely territorial woodpeckers?) I’ve experienced two of these in person working in forestry. lol

BALM

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
The special rule says that due to ‘Lack of local knowledge’ Red army cannot enter the woods. The scenarios are for all periods, so perhaps this seems more appropriate to an earlier time-frame.

However, the dynamic that it sets up around the centre bridge adds a very interesting element to game. It allows the defender in the woods (insurgent types) to use the bridge and short cut them to the centre of the board, while the Red army are forced to use one of the remaining two bridges.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
Thanks Norm, it makes perfect sense and adds a nice problem. I’ve worked in and trekked through some woods that if you didn’t know the land and where the few viable paths were, you’d get lost very easily as there is no clear line of sight and no visible landmarks/sun to navigate by.

BALM