Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best solo rules for Dark age novice?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Best solo rules for Dark age novice?
« on: October 14, 2021, 02:28:24 AM »
Hi all,

I'd like to start gaming but don't have a local club (Northolt, London)
As I'm currently assembling Gripping beast and Victrix Vikings, can anyone recommend a set of dark age rules for solo play?
Skirmish or pitched battle, it matters not, as long as they are fun and not overly complicated for a beginner to pick up and get started after an hour or so of learning the game mechanics.
Something that might allow me to create a narrative/campaign to keep things interesting, that would be ideal, though not essential as I'm itching to start.

Cheers

Ry
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Best solo rules for Dark age novice?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »
Saga works quite well solo, and the Book of Battles has a campaign system.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »
I'd say the best way to start is with a small skirmish game and then move up to bigger games as you get more figures painted/assembled. So you'd be following a trajectory that goes from small skirmish (5-10 figures a side) to large skirmish (dozens of figures a side) to mass battle (hundreds).

For small skirmishes, you can't go wrong with Song of Blades and Heroes, even though it's ostensibly a fantasy game. It's cheap (not much over a fiver in PDF, I think, or under a tenner in print from Amazon), and it offers plenty of ways to individualise characters. So you'd have no trouble statting up berserks, huscarls and fyrdmen (and if you wanted to throw in a troll or a draugr, you could do that too). It works well for solo games because of the activation mechanism, which means that you can't always do what you want and your turn can end suddenly - making for lots of reactive choices when you switch sides.

Song of Blades and Heroes also has very simple mechanics but a wide range of outcomes from them - so you get knockdowns, pushbacks, kills and gruesome kills in melee. And it just plays very like a real fight - lots of backing away and losing nerve, rather than robotically staying stuck in. There are several historical variants, but there isn't a specifically Dark Age one because the fantasy rules cover everything you need for that period.

It's perfect for doing the kind of small-scale fight you get in the Icelandic sagas - homestead burning, cattle theft and ambushes and so on. And it's designed to have lots of non-combat objectives in scenarios. One of the supplements has a campaign system, but you could devise your own in seconds (winner gets to improve a characteristic for one figure, etc.). And the games are typically very quick - so that you can play through a campaign in an evening.

At the 'large skirmish' scale, there's Saga, as Steve said, which is great. It is expensive and somewhat complicated, though, given the battleboard element (you assign dice to a board to activate certain special rules), though easy to play once you've had a game or two. My one doubt about its solo viability would be the forward-planning aspect of the battleboards, which allow you to pull off surprises - but I'll defer to Steve on that.

I'd recommend going with Lion Rampant. It's a little late in period - Norman Conquest on - but the author has written some (minor) adaptations for the Dark Ages, and if you leave out crossbowmen and the heaviest cavalry types, it's all there. The troop types are broad (Elite Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Light Infantry, etc), and it assumes that most infantry are spear-and-shieldwall types. So it plays just fine as is.

The rules are very simple and fun. The most controversial aspect of the game is the loss of control (as with Song of Blades, your turn can end suddenly - or not even start), but that makes it good for solo play. Also, certain units have the Wild Charge rule, which takes them out of your control when they're close to the enemy. So there's the skeleton of a solo game there already.

The author, Dan Mersey, has also published the colonial-era variant The Men Who Would be Kings, which has a solo engine that you could port into Lion Rampant if required.

For bigger battles, I'd recommend DBA - an 'element-based' game. You'd need to mount your figures on temporary bases (or just group them together if they're on squares to begin with), but the rules give an absorbing game and have endless army lists for the period. The combat system is the ancestor of that used in Song of Blades, so if you've used that, the bigger game should come easily. And again, games are quick - maybe 45 minutes once you're used to the rules. Some people actually prefer the fantasy variant, Hordes of the Things, for historical battles; the rulebook is probably a bit easier to digest. The figure requirement for DBA/HotT is low, because three or four men on a single base are assumed to represent hundreds.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »
Ravenfeast would be great for starters, both as a skirmish with your first few figures, and for larger fights as your collection grows...
did I mention the best bit, it's a free download!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 12:56:28 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to respond gents.
Much good for thought here and I will likely pick up a couple of these rulesets, once I've had a better look.

Harry, thanks for jogging my memory, I downloaded ravenfeast months ago after watching a video from the creators.
I shall have a read through this evening.

Cheers

Ry

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
Another somewhat off-the-wall suggestion is Steve Jackson's Melee. It's essentially a gladiatorial boardgame (you have to play it on a hex grid), but it also formed the combat system for The Fantasy Trip RPG. It's a really good small skirmish game - perhaps best with two to four figures a side (though it works fine one on one). It's free from Warehouse 2 or DriveThruRPG.

If you wanted to try something like the defense of a homestead or hall against a small group of intruders, it would work really well. It's easy to print out a hex grid and just draw a map on top of it - or use whatever scenics you have. Like most of Steve Jackson's games, it's really well designed, and it's great for asymmetrical games. Characters are built with points (24 for most, with Dexterity and Strength each starting at 8 and an extra 8 assigned between them), but you can built stronger characters to pit against several normal opponents - if you wanted, for example, to have a lone huscarl attacked by bandits or soemthing like that.