Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689486
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question on what sites/services to use if starting a blog.  (Read 1205 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Question on what sites/services to use if starting a blog.
« on: October 14, 2021, 12:51:14 PM »
Hey LAF Hivemind!

I wondered if the friendly and supportive folks on the forum know of any good services or sites to use if starting a blog. I did see the odd post here and there which sparked my fancy, and after a while I figured I'd ask, seeing as some members do have quite amazing blogs of their own.

To give a broad idea of what I would post about:

- Books of interest to modellers, but also generally interesting literature dealing with history or curious stories from life.
- Miniatures! Detailing the painting process and perhaps the process of converting some of them and how to go about that.
- Terrain? I am a bit lacking in terms of terrain, and figured a blog might be a nice motivator to get some pieces done, therefore these would most likely also land on there.
- And finally general thoughts on scenarios and other miscellaneous stuff to do with miniature wargaming.

Any options would be nice, pointing to a thread that already exists would also work for me though!

Thank you in advance and happy modeling,

- Fenton
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Question on what sites/services to use if starting a blog.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 04:15:34 PM »
There is this thread from earlier (link). I thought there was another one too from quite a while ago but I gave up looking.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:43:29 AM »
Thank you!

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 07:04:51 AM »
I find google blogger the easiest to set up and run, lots of simple templates and add ons plus a follower widget so other gamers can connect.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 08:58:15 AM »
I find google blogger the easiest to set up and run, lots of simple templates and add ons plus a follower widget so other gamers can connect.

Cheers
Matt
Ditto for me. It was just the easiest I found to set up as I didn't want lots of bells and whistles.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 04:00:59 PM »
I have used used Blogspot for over ten years - I don't know if it's because I'm just used to it now - but I find it very good.

Tony
http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
Thank you for the replies Matt, Sunjester and Tony! I will have a look at these two options as well. I have not decided yet.  :)

Thank you and stay healthy,

Marvin

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 11:32:56 PM »
I'm another vote of Blogger because it's easy and my blog has been going for a dozen years or so. However, they do have a habit of changing how the program works for no apparent reason or benefit which, for me, often leads to high levels of frustration.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »
I'm another vote of Blogger because it's easy and my blog has been going for a dozen years or so. However, they do have a habit of changing how the program works for no apparent reason or benefit which, for me, often leads to high levels of frustration.

I agree the policy of changes for changes sake, does cause some frustration, but I would still recommend it.

Tony

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »
I'm not tech savvy so when I was directed to blogspot, I went like a sheep. It's been good to me overall. Everything is fairly straight forward. Hopefully, by Christmas, Olicanalad's Games will pass 1.5 million hits.

OK, I'm not a Kardashian but 1.5 million, of anything, is a lot.

Some people don't mind how many hits they get and that's fine. I started my blog thinking it was merely a way to keep a gaming diary. However, over time, and as my blog got more popular, I like to think I have provided a space that people like to visit. A space that either provides inspiration, something useful, or something to laugh at. Mostly I don't care which. This came about more organically than it sounds - I remember having 10 followers and thinking have you got nowhere else to go, now I have 682. But, the increase in readership did change how I thought about what I was doing. My blog became public not private.

Words of advice: Decide what you want your blog to be from the start. If you want it to be a 'wargamer blog' keep your blog free of politics and religion, and too much 'personal stuff'. You will be surprised how many people take that kind of thing very seriously, and because they don't not know you personally at first how easily you will offend them. You can't gently smile ironically, or sarcastically, on a blog. Personal stuff on a blog, especially when starting up, is simply boring and beside the point unless personal stuff is what you want to express. You need to think like a newspaper man - what is it you want the public to know? Sorry, very preachy and I'm sure you've thought about this already.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck to you!

James
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:43:55 PM by olicana »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 06:03:10 PM »
One last thought. Will you monetise?

I haven't but, I keep thinking I should. I think it's the switch that will cause your subscribed readership problems.

It's a difficult one for me now. Will I lose followers to make a few quid? I know some gamers would automatically unsubscribe if they thought I might be making money out of their readership. Which I personally find odd, because I generally get paid for everything else I write.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 11:59:16 PM »
One last thought. Will you monetise?

I haven't but, I keep thinking I should. I think it's the switch that will cause your subscribed readership problems.

It's a difficult one for me now. Will I lose followers to make a few quid? I know some gamers would automatically unsubscribe if they thought I might be making money out of their readership. Which I personally find odd, because I generally get paid for everything else I write.

I am surprised to see you can monetize blogs. How would that work with blogspot anyhow? Also, thank you for your feedback! I am not too sure yet, alas why I have not started one yet. Probably to chart my progress and keep a diary of painting schemes in a way. Maybe also some guidelines for stuff. No clue yet.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
You sign up for Adsense so your blog carries a number of adverts per page - 1 to 4 I think. Then every month you get paid into a holding account for clicks.

I've actually signed this week and my blog is now 'in the advertisers review period'. I've gone for 2 ads per page. At some point ads will begin to appear.

I have no idea how much this will actually earn on 150 k - 200 k hits a year. Probably peanuts. If it is peanuts I'll cancel it, which is easy. If if makes £100 a year I'll keep it, ring fencing the money for 'hobby spending'. £100 would be a useful amount once a year: It would pay for three or four books, or two or three units, etc. Free stuff, donated by readers for clicking, for free.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:43:18 AM by olicana »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
I can recomend wordpress as a easy to set up blog.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 10:49:03 PM »
I can recomend wordpress as a easy to set up blog.

Thank you tomrommel1 and olicana for the further tips and explanations.