Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to flock terrain boards?  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: How to flock terrain boards?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2021, 08:43:00 PM »
Well done, it looks great! I'd be very interested in seeing some closeups. Especially of the river...

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2021, 10:54:21 PM »
I'm afraid the coconut husk strands will decompose over time.
Last hedges that I made out of the rubberized coconut husks were still good five years after I made them.  They just dried out a touch.  Sold off all my terrain when I immigrated so I can't give you a ten or fifteen year update.   
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »
Well done, it looks great! I'd be very interested in seeing some closeups. Especially of the river...

Thanks, I'll try and get some close ups today.
The rivers are very simple - just painted them a dark green (using acrylic craft paints) with a few lighter and darker streaks around the edges and middle, and then covered it in acrylic high gloss gel. I smeared it on with a spatula and then got it as smooth as I could. It does seem to take ages to dry though, and the final step will be to use Mod Podge to finish the surface off - smoothing it and adding a few ripple effects where needed. Apparently blowing the Mod Podge through a straw (or empty biro) gives a great effect.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2021, 10:36:30 AM »
That looks great!

Has anyone found a similar sisal & jute liner roll in the US?

The closest I've found here is coir & latex, but I'm afraid the coconut husk strands will decompose over time.
https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/Small-Coco-Fiber-Roll

Thanks.
I suspect that once you have stuck it down with PVA and then covered the top in PVA to glue the grass to it, and then sprayed it again with PVA to keep the grass in place any natural fibres will be pretty well preserved in PVA. The liner is pretty thin and once its coated its quite a firm surface. I dont think I would be too concerned about decomposition.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
Good point, thanks David.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »
I'd be very interested in seeing some closeups. Especially of the river...

I hope these are OK and not too close?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2021, 07:04:09 PM »
Thanks, that's very inspirational! The colours of the river and earth are just right.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:15 AM »
I agree with Charlie- I quite like the colours.

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2021, 08:43:48 AM »
Thanks, that's very inspirational! The colours of the river and earth are just right.

I cannot take credit for the earth colours, I used the paints suggested by Jeff965 (see post on page 2), but they give nice tones, and I also used a much lighter final dry brush as well as a more yellow ochre in patches to add some variety. A lot of the earth colour is lost when flocking, but at least it is there if the flock comes way.

I used about 8 different grass colours to achieve this look starting with a light green then a golden yellow, following with patches of lighter and darker greens and browns. Finally I dabbed fine flock over the grassed area to give a bit more texture. The sisal/jute liner is very good for representing rougher ground, and it is flat, although you can easily add indentations with your fingers as you glue it to give a more undulating effect. The light greenish colour of this stuff means you do not need to worry too much about a heavy covering of grass, and works well if you want a drier effect.