Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:40:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 699
Total: 704

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants  (Read 33698 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pattus Magnus' Fantasy Armies - 15mm Barbarians and Giants
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2024, 08:39:24 AM »
IThats what I hope

I think a set of each and a set of Eurka Man Orcs should work well together

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #256 on: February 07, 2024, 07:35:25 AM »
Glorious, mate. Love the earthy tones and, as ever, the shield designs (I still intend on borrowing some ideas from these). Not seen those giants before, but they really work with the whole army vibe. I think your orcses are going to be crushed to paste by these lads.

BTW I picked up some of the Wiglaf cavalry recently. If I was inclined to 15/18mm fantasy gaming then the pack screams Rohirrim.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #257 on: February 07, 2024, 05:21:38 PM »
Thanks Old Hob!

That’s very interesting about the Wiglaf cavalry and their suitability for 15mm Rohirrim. Using my 15mm fantasy collection for Lord of the Rings battles has definitely been something I have as a long term plan. I could actually use the orcs and barbarians together to represent Saruman’s army of orcs and Dunlendings…

That will be a long-range goal though, as I already have a couple of kilos of 15mm fantasy figures to paint! More orcs and goblins, of course, some cavalry and other “chrome” for the barbarians, then a fair sized elf army are already in the queue… (plus a few random bits, like lizardmen).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2024, 06:04:45 PM »
That’s very interesting about the Wiglaf cavalry and their suitability for 15mm Rohirrim. Using my 15mm fantasy collection for Lord of the Rings battles has definitely been something I have as a long term plan. I could actually use the orcs and barbarians together to represent Saruman’s army of orcs and Dunlendings…

Brilliant idea!

The one missing element would be the half-orcs: "mail-clad, ferocious, armed with axes". I wonder if you could find some Vikings to 'convert by paint' to fill this role. If you painted some of these Old Glory guys with your sallow Orcish skin tones and black hair and beards, they'd probably look the part. The suggestion in The Battle of the Fords of the Isen is that the half-orcs combine Orcish tech (mail) with Dunlending stature, so armoured Vikings would seem appropriate. I think Old Glory scales well with Copplestone"

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2024, 06:17:53 PM »
Yeah, something along those lines certainly could work for man-orcs. It I were feeling really ambitious, head swaps or sculpting on very basic orc faces would probably be be feasible. It has been a while since I read the novels, how large a part of the force would the man-orcs be?

As far as Old Glory and Copplestone size compatibility, they seem pretty close (I did a side-by-side pic earlier in this thread, when I posted the first batch of barbarians).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 07:45:37 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2024, 11:46:35 PM »
Yeah, something along those lines certainly could work for man-orcs. It I were feeling really ambitious, head swaps or sculpting on very basic orc faces would probably be be feasible. It has been a while since I read the novels, how large a part of the force would the man-orcs be?

It's hard to say. But they seemed to have been significant. They are, however, introduced somewhat obliquely.

At Helm's Deep, Gamling says, "But these creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun".

Now, to the reader already familiar with the Uruk-hai of Isengard, the reference appears to be to Saruman's Uruks with their Mannish gear and disdain for sunlight. And, actually, it might be: Gamling isn't necessarily using the terms taxonomically, and Tolkien loves doubling up descriptions of the same thing, so he (through Gamling) might not be even distinguishing two sorts of creature. It could be a "brigands and bandits" sort of trope.

But then, when Aragorn and co. meet up with Merry and Pippin at Isengard, we get this description from Merry:

"And there were battalions of Men, too. Many of them carried torches, and... I could see their faces. Most of them were ordinary men, rather tall and dark-haired, and grim but not particularly evil-looking. But there were some others that were horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed.... they reminded me at once of that Southerner at Bree: only he was not so obviously orc-like as most of these were...."

So they were a fairly small minority of the 'Men' marching out of Isengard. But there were still lots of them:

"'I thought of him too,' said Aragorn. 'We had many of these half-orcs to deal with at Helm's Deep."

And back in the Shire, Merry says, "Like many I saw at Isengard" when he sees the Orcish-featured ruffians.

The best description of them comes in 'The Battle of the Fords of the Isen', where they're described as a company and are employed to break the Rohirric shield-wall, the Isengarder Orcs being ill suited to the task because of their short stature:

"As soon as the enemy had gained possession of the eastern end of the Fords there appeared a company of men or Orc-men (evidently dispatched for the purpose), ferocious, mail-clad, and armed with axes. They hastened to the eyot and assailed it from both sides."

The individuals that are seen in 'close up' are described as 'great':

"As he came to his side Théodred fell, hewn down by a great Orc-man."

"Elfhelm himself, however, sprang up towards the knoll; and there he found Grimbold fighting two great axemen for possession of Théodred's body."

So they seem to be the elite of the army: armoured like the Orcs (and unlike the Dunlendings) but much bigger than them (and Saruman's Orcs were big for Orcs). And, therefore, presumably quite a small proportion. Maybe a couple of bases' worth given your fairly large barbarian and Orcish forces?

Converting them would be fantastic - though fiddly! One other option might be to use the Battle Valor orcs, which are huge for 15mm (though perfect for Isengard Uruks in 1/72). But they're probably a bit too Orcish in build: "squat and broad" rather than "tall and grim" - the half-orcs definitely seem to have been in the latter camp.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2024, 02:16:09 AM »
Thanks for the information, Hobgoblin, those all seem like reasonable interpretations. It probably wouldn’t be too difficult to add a unit or two of 4 bases each (about 20 figures per unit) when I expand the orcs and goblins (some of that Tolkien-style doubling up terms there  ;) ) beyond a general purpose fantasy army.

First things first, though - I need to paint about a kilo of figures before I even consider buying more!