Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A sleepy Skeletons WIPs straight from the workbench  (Read 980 times)

Offline Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons

• Assistant
A sleepy Skeletons WIPs straight from the workbench
« on: April 05, 2024, 07:38:21 PM »
Here are some shots of Kelly Kraken from scale75's Smog Riders line. I'm painting her as a gift to my girlfriend and she asked for a purple dress and green belt/bow.

I'll plonk her down on a scratch built beach base with some water effects later when she's done and because of the beach environment my girl wanted the mini to have a darker, sun tanned look and I think I'm almost there. Though I could add some more shadows, I think.

She's definitively a cute mini and fun to work on. Also that smug smirk is deadly! :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:43:44 PM by Sleepy Snoozy Skeletons »

• Assistant
Re: A sleepy Skeletons WIPs straight from the workbench
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 09:23:42 AM »
I snapped two quick shots before leaving for work this morning of this old Reaper vampire I'm finally working on.

I'm using Stuart Semple's Black 3.0 on the cloak's inside. It's the mattest black I've ever seen but a bit temperamental to use on small minis but the result is worth it. I've used it on a rubber duck with great success becore :D

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 09:04:28 PM »
I've spent a lovely afternoon on the balcony attaching wings from a Dark Eldar mini (Scourge?) to a Frostgrave Demon body to see if it works. I've got another pair of the bat-like wings and two pairs with feathers in the bitz box for more.

I've also cleaned up and primed a Reaper bones black Chicken swarm. I need a Link now too i guess  lol

Gonna swing the brush a bit tomorrow, today was mostly chores so I'm really excited to get back to painting.

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 07:01:43 PM »
Done a bit more work on the skellies from Wargames Atlantic (really nice kit) and a sassy Oathmark skeleton.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 03:43:26 AM »
The winged demon is a great looking chap.
But the OM skeleton obviously steals the show

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 06:16:41 AM »
And now it's time for one of the hobby areas where I find my skills lacking: Figuring out basing.

From left to right it's Vietnam ground from MIG, GW's Battlemire with a drybrush of orange and last another MIG dried earth.

Maybe the Dried Earth with a couple of darker tufts would work for these guys. I'll try after work :)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 08:33:21 AM »
Dried earth is too similar in tone and colour to the bone of your skellies; they would simply disappear against that background (when seen from above, on the tabletop).

I personally like the GW offering the best; the middle one.

Question though; why not simply do PVA glue and sand? Give it a basecoat, a wash and a drybrush, couple of tufts and done. Cheap and easy, and it never fails to deliver. You can choose the colour of your sand as well, which I would suggest to be a darker tone to go with your skellies...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 04:23:38 PM »
I agree with Daeothar,
sand would work best. But among the 3 options presented the middle one definitely stands out as the best

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 07:25:21 PM »
Gosh! Sometimes I really suffer from an extra helping of tunnel vision :D. I had the pots with the texture pastes in a cupboard right at eye level and somehow that meant I absolutely had to use them lol.

I'll need to pick up some new pva, the old one dried out, and I'll get to it with the sand tomorrow.

Cheers guys for the heads up and reminding me that yes, I could just use sand and paint it how I'd like it to be.