Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 488
Total: 497

Recent

Author Topic: Sword and Spear Wargames Rules Unit Size Question(???)  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Sword and Spear Wargames Rules Unit Size Question(???)
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2021, 03:26:38 AM »
I was going to suggest Advanced Impetus, I find them the best rules I have used for the ancients and medieval period.

I had already considered using Impetus Matt but our unit sized are a lot bogger and there's no way that they are going to be rebased. We have found a formula where we are very happy with the aesthetic look of the units and we're sticking with it  lol

perhaps train up some locals who would love to play with you superb miniatures?

I wish! I'm still housebound re: the lurgy prevalence in England  :-X :-[ :'(

Having said that, things will almost certainly improve next year- I think the lurgy will have played most of it's tricks by then. And the warmer weather for when the game is planned will certainly help. :)

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »
If your infantry are on 40mm frontages and your cavalry are on 50mm frontages then you could have units of cavalry 3 bases wide for 150mm frontage and infantry 4 bases wide for 160mm frontage. Then your units would have similar frontage. You could then use 1 DU (distance unit) = 3 inch or 80mm DU .
Base depth should not matter as long as your units are not deeper than they are wide. It would be unusual for a flank charge to be possible only because of the greater depth of the target unit.

I have some spare copies of the rules. If it's for a display game, you can PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
If your infantry are on 40mm frontages and your cavalry are on 50mm frontages then you could have units of cavalry 3 bases wide for 150mm frontage and infantry 4 bases wide for 160mm frontage. Then your units would have similar frontage. You could then use 1 DU (distance unit) = 3 inch or 80mm DU .
Base depth should not matter as long as your units are not deeper than they are wide. It would be unusual for a flank charge to be possible only because of the greater depth of the target unit.

So it's a matter of getting a close as possible to the requisite/ideal base sizes?

I have some spare copies of the rules. If it's for a display game, you can PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

Thanks, that's very kind of you.  I'll PM you though I must be honest, whether we use them as a display game depends on how they suit the period we are playing.

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 09:58:03 PM »
So it's a matter of getting a close as possible to the requisite/ideal base sizes?

Not exactly in that there isn't a requisite/ideal base size. It's just a matter of having all of your unit frontages as close as possible to each other. A small difference between frontages won't be much of a problem, but bigger differences could be, especially if there are long opposing battlelines with different unit frontages.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 05:55:55 AM »
Not exactly in that there isn't a requisite/ideal base size. It's just a matter of having all of your unit frontages as close as possible to each other. A small difference between frontages won't be much of a problem, but bigger differences could be, especially if there are long opposing battlelines with different unit frontages.

I think we would have to go for 150mm long for Heavy and Medium Cav (they're based on 50mm x 50mm- 2 per base/6 bases per unit), 160mm for Skrimishing Cav (based on 100mm x 50mm- 2 per base/6 bases per unit though we could get away with four bases) and 120mm for Infantry (40mm wide x 50mm or 60mm deep- 4 per base/6 per unit).