Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690501
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ruins of Dol Guldur kit  (Read 3901 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Ruins of Dol Guldur kit
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 02:30:43 PM »
Trellises. The original pitch for this kit was ‘ The Conservatory of of Dol Guldur’.  :)

That actually makes more sense. Add lots of flowers and leaves

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
That actually makes more sense. Add lots of flowers and leaves

Pretty sure the "Conservatory" thing was a joke.  That said, GW does sell boxes of flexible vines.  :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 02:56:47 PM »
I’m sure it was!

Still makes more sense than some ruins that need that much metalwork to hold together

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 03:05:25 PM »
I’m sure it was!

Still makes more sense than some ruins that need that much metalwork to hold together

Like I said, blame Jackson.  Hopefully when the zombie apocalypse comes Tolkein's shambling corpse will get a shot at eating his brain as revenge.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
The Warcry defiled ruins set is still available at Wayland - link

GW themselves are having what actually appears to be a saving on Azyrite Scenery - link. The price is less than buying each kit individually from Wayland, even with Wayland's 20% off. Offer valid until 8th November.

Almost feels like thread hijacking, talking about scenery lol To keep to the topic, I rewatch the LOTR films every few years. I have no intention of ever rewatching the Hobbit.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 04:38:43 AM »
Very underwhelmed by these. They remind me of a fantasy version of the Technolog Robogear hex platform scenery

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »
Very underwhelmed by these. They remind me of a fantasy version of the Technolog Robogear hex platform scenery

Except the Technolog stuff was actually cheap and fairly good source of parts for kitbashing.  Played plenty of 1st ed Deadzone on that stuff back in the day.

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 12:28:32 PM »
Got a look at the frames for this thing in person yesterday at the FLGS.  Will be passing on it.  Not terrible, but nothing to write home about either and I'd just rather throw money at companies that aren't GW.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2021, 11:15:21 PM »
I will also have to give these a miss.  The details are "nice" but only just.  GW seems to be painting themselves in a corner with their business model again and the contract for LOTRs is not helping. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 11:37:14 AM »
It looks and feels too much like an action figure play set for me. The same can be said for most of the GW output these days.

A very loose but valid perspective: the same design ethos and limitation of plastic injection moulding, cost cutting on soft detail, etc. hold true for castle greyskull as they do for some of the GW terrain.

Foam based Minas Tirith and Helms Deep terrain were far superior in many ways.

Personal opinions only.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
We were going to try this kit out but hearing that you only get one set of stairs in the set killed my idea to easily make a tower out of it. Between that and the comments of folks here we cancelled our pre-order for it. But we are still going to get a new Witchking, the two dice sets and the book.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »
We were going to try this kit out but hearing that you only get one set of stairs in the set killed my idea to easily make a tower out of it. Between that and the comments of folks here we cancelled our pre-order for it. But we are still going to get a new Witchking, the two dice sets and the book.

Saw the Witch King plastic kit stuck together at the store.  Looks pretty faithful to the Peter Jackson character design as you'd expect, and it has a couple of build options so you're not (say) stuck with the giant flail thing if you don't want it.  At $35 for one foot and one mounted model it's not very reasonably priced but that's GW for you.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
We never normally spend that kind of money on a mini but Mrs. GG decided to spoil me as I have a strange fascination with the Witch-King.

Our order arrived today. The dice are much easier t read than we expected. The book is very thin.

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
We never normally spend that kind of money on a mini but Mrs. GG decided to spoil me as I have a strange fascination with the Witch-King.

Fair enough.  The various Nazgul sculpts are some of my favorites in the whole LotR range and he's got the best sculpts of the lot, as well as being the only one that Tolkein gave any sort of individuality to at all - even if that personality mostly consisted of being overconfident and then terribly but briefly surprised after being shanked by Merry and face-stabbed by Eowyn.  :)

And let me just ask, how does scoring an assist on the Witch King of Angmar himself still leave Merry the second most dangerous hobbit in the series?  Lit theory notwithstanding, "Samwise is the everyman" is such a crock.  The little bastard solos Shelob, calmly rescues his angsty boss from an orc fortress, shrugs off the Ring's temptations like it was a crackerjack prize, gets to go home and get his gal, followed up by founding a veritable dynasty of offspring that will dominate the Shire throughout the Fourth Age.  And he can do all the gardening while he's at it.

If Tolkein had finished up his notes, one of Sam's descendants would probably wind up taking out Morgoth when he shows up for the end times.  "Where are all the Valar?  Why is there just this one short guy waiting for...OH ERU, NOT THE GARDENING FORK!  NOT THE GARDENING FORK!"

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »
Once again I agree with you mate.