Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere in New York - 1777...20mm AAR added 27 Oct 21...  (Read 1332 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Somewhere in New York - 1777...20mm AAR added 27 Oct 21...
« on: October 24, 2021, 12:59:00 AM »
My usual wargame buds and I are preparing for a small convention at Ft. Meigs (Perrysburg, Ohio, USA) on November 6.  He will be running an AWI game in 28mm, using Black Powder, and I will be running essentially the same scenario in 20mm, using Saratoga Soldiers (the AWI variant of Gettysburg Soldiers).  We playtested his game this Thursday past, and we will be playtesting mine this coming Wednesday.

The scenario is ostensibly set in September 1777, north of Albany, NY.  The British have 2 brigades.  One, mostly British, has 2 elite battalions, 2 line battalions, 2 units of dismounted dragoons acting as skirmishers, and a battery of guns.  The other, mostly Hessian, has 3 Hessian battalions, a loyalist battalion, a unit of Jagers, and a battery of guns. 

The Americans have 2 brigades, as well.  Both have 3 battalions of Continentals and a battery of guns.  One has 3 militia battalions, while the other has 2 militia battalions and a unit of riflemen. 

This is a meeting engagement, as the 2 forces encounter each other prior to Freeman's Farm.  It is NOT a historical encounter, but something that COULD have happened.  As the narrator in Barry Lyndon said, "Though this encounter is not recorded in any history books, it was memorable enough for those who took part..."

The pics below show the 4 brigades, as well as a broader view of the battlefield looking from the north.

I'll post an AAR of his game tomorrow (24 Oct).  I'll post one of mine after we play it Wednesday. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:50:34 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Somewhere in New York - 1777...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:25 PM »
Okay - now for the AAR...

Having set the scene in the first post, My wargame bud Ted played the British and Hessians.  I played the Continentals and Militia.

The British deployed with the British Brigade on their left with their skirmishers screening their line and elite battalions, and the Hessian Brigade on their right with the Jagers screening their line battalions.  The Americans deployed with the brigade with the Riflemen on their left, and the other brigade on their right.  On the American left, the militia and Riflemen set up along a creek running through the woods, while on their right, the Militia set up along a stone and rail fence near the road.  The respective Continentals set up a bit back from the Militia on both sides of the American line.

The British advanced on a broad front, with the British attacking the militia on the American right, while the Hessians and Loyalists moved through the woods toward the militia and Riflemen on the American left.  Conversely, the Americans decided to push hard on their right, with a feint on their left.  Both sides set up artillery on the roads to get shots in on their opponents, although the Hessian battery seemed confused and took a long time to get in position.

On the British left, one of their line battalions assaulted a Militia battalion at the fence along the road, next to a ruined farmhouse.  After 3 turns of fierce melee, the British battalion had had enough, and routed back behind the main line, leaving the Militia battalion holding that fence line.  In the meantime, the Continental battalions on the American right moved up to support the Militia.

On the British (Hessian) right, the Hessian battalions moved up in support of the Jagers, who were trading shots with the American Riflemen, getting the better end of that fight.  The Continental battalions on the American left moved up to support the Militia, as well.

This is when things got really interesting.

On the British left, a Grenadier battalion assaulted the Militia unit that had already set one British line battalion packing.  The Militia battalion held firm again, and sent the Grenadiers running to their rear.  At the same time, on the British right, the Hessians had whittled the American Riflemen down to the point where they were pulled off the line, and replaced by a Continental battalion. 

By now, the British Brigade was on the verge of breaking, and a Continental battalion had worked its way around the British left flank.  In addition, the Continentals on the American left had run off the right flank hessian battalion, and was flanking the next Hessian battalion in line.  With both flanks in trouble, both his Brigades breaking, and the Continental battalions all still in good order, the British commander decided that the time had come to give up the field, and ordered a general retreat.

We played the game in about 2 hours, fought to a tactical conclusion within that time.  The American Militia must have been former Continentals, as they stayed in the fight the whole time.  The Militia battalion that sent 2 British battalions packing in particular likely got mentioned in dispatches!  We decided that the game was convention ready, with only one tweak needed (downgrading the Militia HTH dice from 6 to 5).

As previously mentioned, this Wednesday, we will play my game, with the same scenario using 20mm figs and the AWI variant of Gettysburg Soldiers.  It'll be interesting to see how that goes.  I'll post an AAR of that game after we play.   

Photos from the above-described game are below...

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Somewhere in New York - 1777...AAR added...
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:20:16 PM »
Militia defeated British regulars in hand-to-hand?  :o Most amazing, paint a medal on their officer. Or put finials on their flag, if they have one.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:58:23 PM »
The Dice Gods do like to remind us of their presence once in a while, and impress upon us the wisdom of doing things properly.   
My little metal Hessian Grenadiers were once repulsed by militia at a river ford after making an overly hasty attempt to force a passage and rushing in where angels fear to tread.
Suitably chastened, they had to reform,  deliver several solid volleys, and then push on with the bayonet in good order and with support from the Jaeger's rifles.
Both my Loyalist and my US militia have on occasion performed prodigious feats of gallantry and held on for several turns longer than they should have in exchanges of musketry with Regulars, but they don't care for the bayonet . 

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:19:15 PM »
Very nice. :-* :-*
May i ask what figures you are using in 20mm?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
Yes, the Gods of Dice were indeed smiling on that Militia battalion that day.  And frowning heavily on the British...perhaps the militia were ex-Continentals, or defending their home county.  In any event, they performed yeoman's work at that fence line.

We shall see what kind of mood the Gods of Dice are in Wednesday... ;)

As for the 20mm chaps, mostly plastic 1/72 figs, with some 20mm figs thrown in for good measure.  Old Musket Miniatures, as I recall (I know they're technically 25mm, but they fit good enough for me with the 1/72 stuff).

As previously mentioned, I'll post an illustrated AAR once the matter is decided.   
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:23:00 PM by CapnJim »

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:31:48 PM »
Thank you for your answer CapnJim.
I was asking in the hope there where others appart from those i have. B and B miniatures.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »
Very nice set-up, and quite a twist in the proceedings with the militia.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 05:59:12 AM »
An enjoyable read - thank you.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 05:24:08 PM »
Thank you for your answer CapnJim.
I was asking in the hope there where others appart from those i have. B and B miniatures.

Unfortunately, I think Musket Minis is OOP.  You might still find some on sites like ebay, but it might be quite the trick.  If you look for them, good luck!

And thanks for all the remarks.  Next up is tomorrow's battle...

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 05:59:00 PM »
Mighty militia: I do recall a game of Eutaw Springs where Picken's SC militia got into a close range firefight with British regulars. After 3 turns of trading fire, the badly hurt militia fell back, but not before turning the regulars into trash. Forgot to paint a medal on them.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 11:46:49 PM »
Cry "Havoc!", and let slip the Dice of War....

Well, in preparation for the Ft. Meigs event Nov. 6, we play-tested the above scenario today, in 20mm and using Saratoga Soldiers (the AWI variant of Gettysburg Soldiers).  And the Dice Gods were in a fickle mood, alternating between favoring the Americans or the British.  It was quite the meat-grinder, but the Americans eked out another win...

The terrain and orders of battle were the same as that presented above.  It all started out innocently enough, with the British and Hessians shaking themselves out into line. and moving toward the Militia deployed out ahead of the Continentals.  Those same Continentals began moving up to support the Militia deployed to their front.  First blood went to the Militia on the American right, as they fired on the dismounted Dragoons screening the British Brigade.  The British and the Militia on the American right got into quite the firefight along that road.  The right-most Militia battalion attempted to get in on the British left flank, and the right American Brigadier ordered a section of artillery to support that move.  That artillery section made the British Commander hesitate, while they dealt with the threat to their flank (which they did).  All the while, a Militia battalion took up positions in a farm at the center of the line, and sent a devastating volley into the Grenadier battalion, making them recoil a bit.  A British line battalion wasn't having any of that, and forthwith ejected those uppity rebel Militia from said farm, and held onto it for the rest of the fight.

In the meantime, on the American left, the Hessian Jagers and American riflemen and Militia wore each other down, allowing time for their respective regulars to come up in support, and eventually to take over the fight.  In the end, the Jagers and Riflemen both were devastated, while the Loyalist battalion and the Militia battalions were pretty much spent.  On that side of the Field, it was 3 battalions of Continentals going toe-to-toe with 3 battalions of Hessian.  The Continentals come out on top of that affair, not entirely unscathed, but sending a few good volleys into the Hessians (who as it turned out could not match the Continentals' musketry).

Back on the British left, British Regulars, Highlanders, and Grenadiers traded volleys with 3 more battalions of Continentals, and both sides gave as good as they got.  But that British battalion would not budge from that farm.   All the while, artillery batteries in the center of the field battered each other, with British gunnery having the edge there.

In the end, both British/Hessian brigades were fairly well battered, as was the right American Brigade.  The left American brigade was in better shape, but in no position to pursue the remains of the British and Hessians as they gave up the field.  It was hard-fought battle, with both fierce and ineffectual volleys traded, and the effective use of the bayonet (particularly by that British line battalion in the farm) on a few occasions. 

The game took 2-1/2 hours to play out.  The Continentals had the favor of the Dice Gods in the first and third parts of the fight, but they clearly favored the British in the middle third.  They were, however, quite ambivalent toward the Hessians and Loyalists...

All in all, we think the game is ready for the convention.  Below are pics of this fight, starting with initial deployments.  Enjoy!             
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 12:17:48 AM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »
And these are the first part of the fight...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 11:50:12 PM »
And the fight concludes...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Somewhere in New York - 1777...20mm AAR added 27 Oct 21...
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »
By the way, we are aware that Burgoyne did not have any Highlanders at his disposal.  But I thought they looked god on the field.  To be historically correct, the 2nd elite battalion should really be light bobs, but what the heck... :D