Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you buy your 15 mm models?  (Read 553 times)

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
How do you buy your 15 mm models?
« on: October 25, 2021, 05:44:57 PM »
Hi all, Lord Marcus from two idiots printing service here.

We have recently come into a range of 15 mm models with more on the way.

Neither of us here at 2 idiots have ever had any experience with 15 mm models. If I go smaller scale I'm much more partial to 10 mm and my business partner doesn't play much.

And while I could take the easy way out and compare with other manufacturers as to how many models they give per pack, I thought I'd do something different.

What is your ideal pack of models? How many cavalry, how many command models in each pack? Separate packs or combined army packs? How about both?

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Re: How do you buy your 15 mm models?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:56:31 PM »
I think most manufacturers go for 8 infantry of a type in a pack, 3 or 4 cavalry and a gun with crew.
Blue moon and others of course, have packs of 30 with a broader range of figures.

Personally, I prefer the Eureka/AB model of being able to buy individual miniatures, though within that; poses are a lucky dip from a possible 2-4 poses of similar type.

If I could choose, I'd be able to pick the exact individual miniatures I want, in any quantity I like.
I'd be willing to pay a little extra for the convenience.

Cheers

Ry
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 06:07:30 PM »
...Er, depends on what the range is?  ;D

Some rule sets are quite proscribed when it comes to basing, whereas others not so much.

For something like Ancients, I expect DBA is the dominant ruleset, and you would be better off asking in that section of the forum. Figures in these styles of game are usually mounted in multiples to a base, and each figure might represent 20, 50, or a 100 real troops.

Whereas something like Sci Fi is quite different, and is more likely to have any multibased models be closer to 1:1 model-to-actual troops ratio, with one base being either half or a full squad.

In my case, I use 15mm WW2 models based individually for games like Chain Of Command, although even in that ruleset limited multibasing is permitted.

Finally, the other consideration is for you; how do you want to price, pack, and sell the figures? Do you do big packs and stick a couple of command figs in there? Do you bundle command figs with rarer troop types? Or do you sell each type of figure in it's own pack, even if it means some packs would either sell much less often and/or at much higher markup?

Without knowing what you're offering, it's pretty hard to suggest what optimum packs should be.  :)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 08:48:54 PM »
I am quite happy with packs of 8 or 10, hopefully with 3 or 4 variants in there.
Ancient and Modern sell the Donnington ranges on an individual figure basis which is fantastic, but I would think it’s fiddly for the seller, especially when at 15mm the price per figure is pretty low so some orders could be just odds and ends that take ages to prepare and make very little money. It’s great for the buyer though - I love buying their stuff, scrutinising each figure and tailoring my order to fit what I need.

Big packs of 30 or more should offer good value, but realistically, lots of people might not want to order in such quantity. Personally, if there are lots of variants in there so that I can do a whole unit with just your figures, I’d buy big packs (for example with Old Glory’s Renaissance range), but only if the figures were right and only because I build big armies with lots of models.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:29:07 PM »
I am quite happy with packs of 8 or 10, hopefully with 3 or 4 variants in there.
Ancient and Modern sell the Donnington ranges on an individual figure basis which is fantastic, but I would think it’s fiddly for the seller, especially when at 15mm the price per figure is pretty low so some orders could be just odds and ends that take ages to prepare and make very little money. It’s great for the buyer though - I love buying their stuff, scrutinising each figure and tailoring my order to fit what I need.

Big packs of 30 or more should offer good value, but realistically, lots of people might not want to order in such quantity. Personally, if there are lots of variants in there so that I can do a whole unit with just your figures, I’d buy big packs (for example with Old Glory’s Renaissance range), but only if the figures were right and only because I build big armies with lots of models.

From what we have, it's about 5 or six variants per infantry choice, 3 to 5 on cavalry, and a commander on horse and a command group on foot.

First release is going to be 15th century Spanish