Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690761
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Artilleriewagen (1:100)  (Read 527 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Artilleriewagen (1:100)
« on: October 28, 2021, 05:24:03 AM »

I've never really seen a decent compromise between ground scale and model scale when representing armoured trains on the tabletop, though this particular German WWII vehicle is less egregious in that respect than most.
It could be connected to a larger train, like a normal flatcar, but it also had its own internal diesel engine and could move independently.

It mounted machine guns on all sides, and a 75mm turret from a Panzer III N.

This 1:100 model doesn't really fit properly on the N-gauge track lengths I have, but never mind.

I printed the hull on my Ender 3, and the turret on my Mars Pro, and it really throws into contrast the difference in quality between the two. I'm not one of those who likes to tinker constantly with their printers to squeeze the absolute maximum from them, and I know the Ender is capable of better, but when it's so much quicker and easier (though a bit more expensive) to get much better quality from the resin printer... well, why bother?

To be fair, the FDM-printed body looks okay at arm's length on the tabletop, so what the heck. I probably won't be printing any more non-terrain models on the Ender 3 again though.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Artilleriewagen (1:100)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
TBH the N gauge track is too small for 1/100 standard gauge. HOm (12 mm gauge) is a better bet for scale, but harder to find and usually more expensive. Then you have to consider German/European standard gauge 4' 81/2" or Russian 5'0"....
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: Artilleriewagen (1:100)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
Fortunately (for me) all I need is something on the table that looks like railway tracks.