Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painted figure exchange proposal  (Read 880 times)

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Painted figure exchange proposal
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:33:19 PM »
Hi all,

As a painter, I enjoy looking at other painters work, often drawing inspiration to start work in other eras that I might not have considered before.

Noting that the forum has a sprue exchange, I wonder if anyone (with mods permitting it) would like to begin a painted miniature exchange in the same manner?
No restrictions on era but I think sticking to 28mm would be likely to draw in the most participants.
What say you?

I'd be happy to start the process if enough people are willing to join.

Cheers

Ry

Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Painted figure exchange proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 05:24:16 AM »
I think it's an interesting concept - but I guess I'd be more curious about 'how'.  For instance, would it be like a Secret Santa where people post what they collect/play...or would you just be mailing off a random miniature to someone?

I like the idea of getting a gifted painted miniature, but I don't need a single Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr miniature.  I think I'd also be super nervous about sending off a miniature I painted - lest it go to some mega-painter (and there are several of those on this forum).

What's the general plan/idea?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:04:15 AM »
You raise a good point,  I wouldn't want a single Landwehr either.

I was thinking along the lines of random but usable.
Mounted officers, standard bearers, known characters; something you can keep to look at, add to existing armies, or that may spur you to start a new period.
The first painter puts 1 or 2 figures into a parcel, posts to whoever is number 2 on the list.
Number 2 opens and if they like a figure, they take one and replace it with one or two of their own, building choice options for the next painter.
If there are 10 painters, by the 10th, they'll likely have a good number of minis to choose from.

That would leave the issue of figures not taken at the end, maybe they can go to charity?

Or, a simpler but less exciting option, you put 1 figure in a parcel, the painter you send it to takes it, they send one off to the next painter who has to take that and add their own.

By the time it returns to the first painter, we each have a new mini, which may or may not be useful but again, I feel that other people's work can inspire, even if it's a completely different style to our own.
I'm just brainstorming really, putting feelers out and trying to gauge the potential of making it happen.
I'm completely open to ideas, even if, to get people on board, it mirrors exactly how the sprue exchange works.

Cheers

Ry

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 07:22:53 AM »
Might I suggest a civilian figure for for maximum use ability? Plenty of scope for advisors, camp followers, volunteers, hostages in lots of game systems.

Happy to take part, in any event.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »
On another forum the way something like this was handled was as a round-the-world tour, with each person sending a figure to the closest other participant west or east (as the direction went), and the last figure coming back to the original sender. Was a neat idea as you could follow progress a la Phineas Fogg.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 10:42:28 PM »
Yeah but what poor bastard has to send it across the Atlantic?   lol  Or worse...the Pacific?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 02:56:43 AM »
Well we do have a "our man in Guam"  :D