Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Elbow's Scrapheap (Notcromunda) Project  (Read 26898 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Elbow's Scrapheap (Notcromunda) Project
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2022, 10:24:05 AM »
I totally missed this thread for some reason, but it's absolutely awesome!  8)

I'll make sure to keep following it now; the painting, conversions and terrain are all simply top notch...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
They look grand Elbows, more power to you, keep them coming.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Thanks guys, hope to have some more stuff posted here later this evening!  lol  What's not shown behind the scenes is the obscene amount of time spent writing the damn rules...(yaaaawwwwnnn).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2022, 02:45:06 AM »
More plucky, Pendoshi, piratical particulars...

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2022, 11:15:39 AM »
Excellent mash ups, the colour scheme is great too.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2022, 04:44:24 PM »
Those recent posts are spectacular.  Your work really captures the variety and feel of Eisen-Inqui-Grimdark.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2022, 06:43:18 AM »
Great work as usual mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »
A bunch of games of Scrapheap yesterday.  Good news is we're to the point of finalizing rules and making tweaks, so it's running well.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2022, 07:27:06 PM »
Cliff's Notes:
-One year ago, I built a bunch of TT Combat 'Zone Mortalis' terrain for a buddy in trade for some goods (terrible decisions, tons of work)
-I play some Scrapheap on my buddy's TT Combat board and think 'Man, I'd like to get a set, but I don't want to build more of that crap'
-I contact the other buddy whose stuff I built a year ago - it's sitting in a garage, more or less unmolested.
-This happens:

I'll need another set or two and a suitable mat (or I may paint up the boards under this test set-up).  I picked up the unused stuff, painted and detailed it over two days more or less, and now have a suitable 2'x3' mini table for skirmishes.  Makes a good alternative setting to the normal tables I play on.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »
When you say it's a ton of work ... that concerns me.  I've been eyeing a set of the TT Combat stuff, and generally heard nothing but 'It's a great buy for the price.'

Does this mean you don't recommend it? 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
TT Combat, in general is pretty superb.  Best price, free shipping over 100 pounds sterling for international customers, etc.  However, this particular stuff, the 'not Zone Mortalis' stuff is massively annoying/time consuming to build.

The junction columns (i.e. the staple that all the other pieces attach to) are each...20 separate pieces of MDF.  I'm not exaggerating, that's the actual count.  So that's twenty pieces you have to cut out, sand, and glue.  For one piece.

Now, by comparison the other pieces are quite simple; but make no mistake this is not a quick build.  It might be easier if you had a couple of dudes sitting around building it together.  It may also be faster if you don't sand the parts you snip, etc.  But it's a lengthy process.  Now, couple that with the fact I was building it for a buddy who I knew would never paint or play on it...and you can see why I was not enjoying myself.

My buddy actually has two times as much stuff as is pictured for his board...but simply quit halfway through because of how time consuming it is to build.  Having now painted and played on his stuff he's motivated to finish it, though.

It's been a year since I built the other stuff, so I think I could manage building a bit more, but even now I'm not looking forward to it. :D  I also believe that most other MDF options for this kind of stuff are similarly time-consuming.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2022, 05:49:56 PM »
 The terrain from this company is very nice.

https://uncertainscenery.com/?fbclid=IwAR0fgIK73LajexqelKA3ppsvZqZEbw7osmDVWY-0qGCXGPVSwQGhzyMX3xE

I have two board pieces so far and i am waiting on my next order to arrive.

Might be of interest to you and others.

This company also do some very nice terrain.

https://art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/?utm_campaign=emailmarketing_121196118114&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2022, 12:48:34 PM »
Ah yes, now I get it.  I love TT Combat stuff in general.  As you said, cheap and I expect issues with it because of the price.  I had some store credit somewhere and had been eyeing this setup.  I don't really play a lot of 'zone' stuff, but figured ... meh, it's like free stuff, right?  Glad I didn't buy it.  I'd rather just wait for someone else to get annoyed with it and put it on eBay :)

Speaking of your buddy ... is he super tired of his stuff yet?  :) :) :)

I also love this thread, by the way.  Currently one of my favorites.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2022, 02:10:16 PM »
Hah, my buddy only painted his a few weeks ago, so we'll have to give him time.  I think I am biased, since I built the stuff with no expectation of owning/using it.  So, suddenly having it was a nice surprise.  I'll see if my opinion is different when I buy a few more sets.  Maybe building it, but knowing I'll be painting/using it, will change my mind.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »
Love the paint job, very spot on. And the set up is pretty decent looking like the little stairways scattered about. The only thing lacking (to me) is the elevated walkways, that's one of the things I liked about the old GW card/plastic bulkhead  scenery from the old edition. But like I said pretty cool for what it is. Looking forward to seeing what you do further with it. Also, nice job on all the minis, great thread. Thanks for sharing.
We haul ours to kick theirs.