Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690479
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figures for the French Wars of Religion  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Figures for the French Wars of Religion
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
I like the old metal Warhammer pistoleers as Reiters (in 3/4 armor and burgonets).  A bit pricey these days, unfortunately.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »
Those are exactly the ones I used. I've got two units of them done and a big bag of bits for another 20 odd.

the Warlord Lancers are actually pretty good figures as well.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »
Two stunningly good looking units there, Whiskey Priest 👍.

Online Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 03:03:21 PM »
How well would the TAG French Valois Legion figures work for this period?
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline Richard MARQUIS

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Hello,
I think TAG French Valois range is compatible for wars of François 1er and Henri II. But at the battle of Dreux in 1562, costumes were more like TAG Spanish and Warlord Games (ex Arsenal).
To stay in 28mm, maybe could you find some references like french "Millers" here: https://timelineminiatures.co.uk/page/elizabethan (they have the Border Reivers also from ex Graven Images).
There are also interesting references here too: https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/collection-2
I like OG for that period. But I use to mix them this many other manufacturers (Essex, Gamezone, Foundry, TAG, ...).
But for French or Spanish lancers/gendarmes I cannot find any accurate figures (like Khurasan does in 15mm). So I do some conversion to recreate the tabard with long sleeves.
example using a 28mm Essex miniature (late 16th range) below.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:03:51 PM by Richard MARQUIS »

Offline Grafthomond

• Student
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
I used the TAG Valois infantry to represent a provincial or legion unit in the First War.  I rationalise this to myself by assuming such troops would not be up to date with the latest Parisian fashions :-)

Offline Grafthomond

• Student
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 11:30:07 AM »
I also resorted to adding hanging sleeves to gens d'armes figures (initially Greenstuff but later cut from an empty passata tube).  Some have boots rather than greaves as well.  The figures are mainly TAG with a few Foundry and some Warlord horses and pistol cases.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 12:11:19 AM »
The Foundry range Late 16th Century 1560-1610, was IIRC, more focussed on the Wars of Religion originally. At some point it became more of an English looking range. I still really like them,  smaller than today’s 30-32mm standard but superbly detailed.

Offline Richard MARQUIS

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 03:34:03 PM »
Maybe Avanpost resin miniatures could help for French gendarmes: with some conversion to add a cassock.

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2022, 08:40:08 PM »
Does any one has the Old Glory miller cavalry and are they any good?
Thanks

Offline Grafthomond

• Student
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »
I have some of the Old Glory Millers.  To be honest, I think Old Glory's ranges are variable in quality and this isn't one of their best (though their landsknechts in pluderhosen are very good).  I would also question whether they are particularly accurate.  Morion helmets were not often worn by heavy cavalry and the cassocks they are wearing had largely fallen out of use by the time Huguenot cavalry completed its transformation to pistoliers. They were only referred to as Millers in the early wars when they wore white cassocks and carried lances.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2022, 08:34:44 AM »
Not adding any info to the cause here I’m afraid but this is a period that is always scratching at the back of my mind. It goes back to Featherstone’s “Wargames through the Ages” I think and yes, one of the images is the Miller in the Cassock. A classic case of an image having as much impact as the historical reality.

Offline PeterRLemmond

• Lurker
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2022, 11:34:07 PM »
Just ordered some of the new TAG later 16thC Reiters, look great.  In the midst of painting up some of the TAG Valois Gendarmes to use for both the 1540s and 1580s.  Bit of a stretch for the latter (no false sleeves on the coats, full leg armour rather than tassets and boots) but otherwise look very much the part IMHO.  And absolutely great looking figures in any event.  Just painted a unit of Ligue arquebusiers using TAG Spanish and Dutch.  Very happy with them.  Also have OG figures and quite happy with most, especially landsknechts, pike and cavalry (reiters, gens d'armes, harquebusiers).   

Offline Grafthomond

• Student
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »
Just ordered some of the new TAG later 16thC Reiters, look great.  In the midst of painting up some of the TAG Valois Gendarmes to use for both the 1540s and 1580s.  Bit of a stretch for the latter (no false sleeves on the coats, full leg armour rather than tassets and boots) but otherwise look very much the part IMHO.  And absolutely great looking figures in any event.  Just painted a unit of Ligue arquebusiers using TAG Spanish and Dutch.  Very happy with them.  Also have OG figures and quite happy with most, especially landsknechts, pike and cavalry (reiters, gens d'armes, harquebusiers).   
My gens d'armes are also from the TAG range (some Italians mixed with the Valois French).  I made a small incision just underneath the back of the pauldrons and insert a strip of metallic foil gleaned from a tube of passata.  This gave them their false sleeves.  With a bit of careful filing and a small amount of green stuff, you can give them boots too.  For a final touch, TAG supply pistols in holsters (you can also get these from Warlord cuirassiers).  A few of these can be glued on the saddles to give them than later 16th century look.  That said, I understand that TAG will be expanding this range to cover lancer/gens d'armes figures for this era.