Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon goes Grimdark - Traitor Guard  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon goes Grimdark - Beastmen in Space
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »
Your painting skills continue to get better...and you had a high bar to start with.

Really enjoying this thread.

Thanks I'm  really enjoying learning to paint in a Grimdark style  it's a nice break from on more traditional styles.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »
That's pretty brilliant (as usual) 8)

I once did about the same with a couple of the old WHFB monopose beastmen, adding some weapons and other kit to 40K them up. Worked pretty well, but the end result was not as dynamic as yours, for obvious reasons.

I made them in a few frantic hours at Poldercon a number of years back, where one of the timeslots could be filled in with a kitbashing session, and it was great fun. I later expanded on the existing 2 or 3 I built at the time, but I didn't have enough to make a full squad, so they're still in WIP limbo I fear.

Yours are inspirational though, so who knows? :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2022, 02:06:49 PM »
That's pretty brilliant (as usual) 8)

I once did about the same with a couple of the old WHFB monopose beastmen, adding some weapons and other kit to 40K them up. Worked pretty well, but the end result was not as dynamic as yours, for obvious reasons.

I made them in a few frantic hours at Poldercon a number of years back, where one of the timeslots could be filled in with a kitbashing session, and it was great fun. I later expanded on the existing 2 or 3 I built at the time, but I didn't have enough to make a full squad, so they're still in WIP limbo I fear.

Yours are inspirational though, so who knows? :)

Thanks

You can't beat some 40k beastmen wish I'd kept those metal Imperial Guard ones I had back in 1st edition 40k they were lovely sculpts.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2022, 04:08:18 PM »
That's some lovely converting and painting there.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2022, 05:17:05 PM »
Lovely work , mate.
I like how you converted fantasy minis to scifi.
They would work great for a Siege of Terra scenario ( seeing there were multitudes of mutants involved ).

You might look at what I did with converting fantasy beastmen from old skaven to add more variation.
I think they can be converted to scifi also with a bit of work.

Apart from the fact that a lot beastmen in 40K do not have the luxury of firearms just horns & brute force.
So I guess fantasy beastmen can be used in 40K also.
One might also use Kroot weaponry for them.

Here
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/2019/03/converted-old-gw-skaven-to-beastmen.html

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2022, 07:09:11 AM »
Here we have a squad of Munda 13th set up for an assault role in the great trench battles that took place around the city of Munda Prime. A mix of Blackstone Fortress traitor guard and a couple of the more guardsmen looking old OOP chaos cultists plus some head and weapon swaps. below is their background lore

The Munda 13th were unique among the PDF regiments of Munda III. Designated as a fortress regiment the 13th garrisoned strategic points across the planet including fortresses, the Starport and the planets Defence Laser and Defence missile batteries. Most Munda PDF regiments consisted of two battalions of five companies each of around 250 men and officers. The 13th instead consisted of around forty independent companies ranging from size from 50 to 1000 men depending on the garrison requirements of their post. In keeping with their role the 13th had few armoured vehicles and little organic transport but had access to more artillery and heavy weapons.

When the Faceless King was planning his rebellion he specifically targeted the 13th infiltrating and corrupting the regiments officer corps. When the rebellion started this not only gave the Faceless King control of the planets defence network but also several strategic fortresses. In addition he gained a large body of trained fighting men and heavy weaponry.

It was quite possible that in the early days of the rebellion many of the private soldiers in the regiment were unaware that they were the rebels and by the time they realised, their mistake, it’s was to late their souls already belonged to Chaos. In the later stages of the war the 13th embraced the Dark gods and revealed in their status as the Faceless King’s elite fighting force.

Equipment wise the 13th used exactly the same equipment as loyalist PDF units which resulted in some confused battles and numerous friendly fire incidents in the early days of the rebellion. To counter this units of the 13th took to wearing scraps of red cloth, as a field sign, latter they also often sported fetishes and symbols showing their allegiance to the dark gods.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon goes Grimdark - Traitor Guard
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2022, 01:02:23 PM »
Great work: these look suitably grimy.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2022, 05:08:45 PM »
Great work: these look suitably grimy.
Seconded👍

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2022, 05:44:13 PM »
Nice work all round!
 8) 8)

I am thinking of doing something similar for my next project, well effect-wise if not subject-wise, and will follow your progress so that I can steal all your ideas.
 :D ;)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
Thanks guys. Mason steal away goodness knows I've used plenty of other people's work to fuel my own projects  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2022, 07:00:17 PM »
Great work.  This may not shock people, but I love the subdued palette.  The OSL is great on the plasma pistol too.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!