Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ich hab so Heimweh nach dem Kurfürstendamm  (Read 12598 times)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Ich hab so Heimweh nach dem Kurfürstendamm
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 08:12:47 PM »
Looking good. I like the mix of blokes in the 'Gallant defenders of RAF Gatow' shot, which models are those & got anymore pictures..?

A mixture of MoFo Congo, Eureka Rhodesians with head swaps and some putty work plus a couple of Crooked Dice soldiers.

As a mixture of AAC, REME and signallers, I thought a relaxed look would suit best and it gave me the chance to re-purpose some toys that were hanging around unpainted.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:17:28 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 08:19:26 PM »
In my day, we had a slightly different moniker for West Berlin - "The worlds largest Armed military POW camp”...

But as to the toys - well done!  But methinks the Brits might need a bit more then a troop of Chieftains to come to the rescue... :D

Well money was tight under John Nott. If you think the relief force is a bit light on, wait until you see the garrison itself.  :D

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 08:22:53 PM »
A couple of conversions.

Empress with spare Eureka Carl Gustav and another Eureka Rhodesian with an Empress head.

I have enough spares to kit out the platoon with either  one CG per section or none. I suspect that in Berlin the armour threat was considered fairly high, given they faced an NVA Motorised Regiment, a Soviet independent brigade and about another division's worth of Grenztruppen, plus associated Volkspolizei and Kampfgruppe der Arbeiterklasse, much of which was motorised.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:27:06 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »
Try and spot the incredibly well concealed snipers. Probably somewhere on the Maifeld.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
Gallant defenders of Gatow, Part 2.

The RAF. Wasn't sure what RAF Police/ security sections would be wearing if the balloon went up but Istumbled across some photos of snowdrops defending Greenham Common in 1984. They were wearing a mixture of combat trousers, the occasional lightweight trousers and shirtsleeves and  I thought well, that's good enough for me.

Mostly MoFo Congo Mercs but a Eureka Aden Brit with head swap to make up the numbers.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:36:15 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 08:47:30 PM »
Cap'n Jim will be relieved to know that while the garrison is small, it has the support (perhaps not of the most enthusaistic variety) of the Berlin police.

Underfire Polizei with some 1/48 aircrew figures adapted with hats and Walther SMGs from old Wargames Factory sets.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 08:52:52 PM »
Last but not least, one of the directing staff/ exercise umpires at Ruhleben Fighting City, wondering why no bugger has turned up.

For my BAOR and West Germans I have made up a couple of exercise umpires one for each side. Thought I'd field one here.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 10:42:54 PM »
Excellent selection of models.

Though I look forward to seeing your version of the Mondrian paint job that Berlin was famous for.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
A great looking project - you really have been busy  8)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2021, 01:06:04 AM »
Well, if Der Polizei are present, then we've nothing to worry about.  They'll take photos of BMPs and T62s exceeding the posted speed limit, and mail them tickets.  Plus, as I'm sure the Soviets and East Germans will have been drinking, DWIs all around.  There - problem solved!  :D

Seriously folks, more nicely painted figs there.  You're going to have quite the cast of characters for your battles there...   
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 02:28:47 AM »
Nice touch with the umpire.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
Looking good.

Have you made the terrain yet?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2021, 10:05:14 AM »
Looking good.

Have you made the terrain yet?

Cheers!

Working on terrain as we speak. Looking to move somewhere bigger before Christmas so will hopefully have more space to set it up. Bit of suburbia first, fighting on the outskirts in Spandau, then if I get inspired, might do some more built up/ blown up bits of Charlottenburg and beyond. I must do a U-Bahn station entrance.

No, I will not be making 28mm versions of the Brandenburg Gate, the Charlottenburg Palace, Spandau Prison or even Wavell Barracks. Admittedly, a bombed out version of the latter does appeal. I also spent a bit of time wondering how to make the Siegessäule but I’ve given that up as far too much work. Pity, I had plans to trap the invading Soviets in a five lane roundabout. :D

Fortunately this is an adjunct to a wider BAOR/ Third World War project so some bits will see use elsewhere. Alas, many archetypal architecture styles suitable for Lower Saxony don’t really translate well to Berlin. Not so many fachwerk houses in the capital. Along the way I have built up an impressive garage of early ‘80s German cars.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2021, 10:10:25 AM »
Excellent selection of models.

Though I look forward to seeing your version of the Mondrian paint job that Berlin was famous for.

Soon. The Chieftain just received its white base coat. Had a bugger of a time finding a vaguely suitable blue grey. Soon as I did I re-read the Tankograd book on the Berlin Brigade and discovered there was a subtle change in colour over the years.  >:(

Oh well, the die is cast. If the weather holds up I’ll start masking it off tomorrow. Looks a horrid job, as Chieftains aren’t graced with lots of flat planes.

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 10:21:14 AM »
A mixture of MoFo Congo, Eureka Rhodesians with head swaps and some putty work plus a couple of Crooked Dice soldiers.

I thought I'd spotted the Eureka RAR MAG bloke, great head swap choice, the 'tash really looks the part.