Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ich hab so Heimweh nach dem Kurfürstendamm  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ich hab so Heimweh nach dem Kurfürstendamm
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Cheers!

Working on terrain as we speak. Looking to move somewhere bigger before Christmas so will hopefully have more space to set it up. Bit of suburbia first, fighting on the outskirts in Spandau, then if I get inspired, might do some more built up/ blown up bits of Charlottenburg and beyond. I must do a U-Bahn station entrance.

No, I will not be making 28mm versions of the Brandenburg Gate, the Charlottenburg Palace, Spandau Prison or even Wavell Barracks. Admittedly, a bombed out version of the latter does appeal. I also spent a bit of time wondering how to make the Siegessäule but I’ve given that up as far too much work. Pity, I had plans to trap the invading Soviets in a five lane roundabout. :D

Fortunately this is an adjunct to a wider BAOR/ Third World War project so some bits will see use elsewhere. Alas, many archetypal architecture styles suitable for Lower Saxony don’t really translate well to Berlin. Not so many fachwerk houses in the capital. Along the way I have built up an impressive garage of early ‘80s German cars.

What about one of the WW2 flack towers  lol lol lol lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »
Cheers! I forgot that that the Congo Mercs were Mongrel. There are a couple of Mofo (Gripping Beast) figures there, the chap with the 66mm rocket and the Blowpipe gunner has a Mofo donor body. He once had what I assume was a rather anaemic M79. Probably a more useful weapon, even against aircraft.

I think I still have a few RhAR figures about. I originally bought them to do a 1970s fictional emirate. Their cousins from the ZANLA range have become my universal go to figure. They serve as Nicaraguans, Iranians and various other things.

I just wish Underfire would do some support weapons for their East Germans. Doubt that will happen so more figure splicing on the horizon.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
What about one of the WW2 flack towers  lol lol lol lol

They blowed dem up after the war. I think there’s only a bit of one still visible. Didn’t bother to look when I was there. The beer was too good.  :D

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
They blowed dem up after the war. I think there’s only a bit of one still visible. Didn’t bother to look when I was there. The beer was too good.  :D

So they did.  o_o

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2021, 11:33:02 AM »
Of course the easy way to go would be to model Potsdamer Platz in the 1980s. Bear in mind this was in the centre of town and before the war one of the busiest and liveliest areas, home to the famous Cafe Josti.

For 1984 all you would need is a large area of wasteland with a back drop of the wall. The monorail didn’t get built until 1987 and lasted two years so no Simpson’s gags sadly.

Outside the British sector anyway IIRC so maybe when I do the Yanks.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »
Outside the British sector anyway IIRC so maybe when I do the Yanks.

Yanks?  Sure.  And don't forget our French friends.  Once the balloon goes up, I would think it's all in....
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »
I haven’t, in fact to be honest I’d love to do the French. I already have the VABs and an AMX-30  and I loved walking around Wedding but alas nobody makes suitable French infantry for the 1980s. Pity as it's a period where they are looking pretty spiffy.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2021, 10:05:27 PM »
Yeah - available French skips from Indochina straight through to the Gulf Wars.  Tis a pity Mongrel miniatures didn't make any.  Seems they make about everyone else from that period....

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2021, 11:00:31 PM »

I just wish Underfire would do some support weapons for their East Germans. Doubt that will happen so more figure splicing on the horizon.

I had an exchange with the owner via messenger (Facebook) a few weeks ago and he said he was looking for community wants for sculpting directi, may be worth emailing him?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2021, 09:12:29 PM »
Cheers, might just do that.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »
Taking advantage of what might be the best weather for the week, I masked off the Chieftain and started on the Mondrian inspired camouflage scheme. As expected, with such a complex shape or set of shapes and my crap masking skills there was a bit of bleed through and despite trying to follow the diagrams and photos as best as I could I realised that I had made a couple of errors.

So I gave it a spray with the blue grey (actually a Tamiya US Navy colour) as that looked closest. I'm not convinced . I tried another blue grey, this time Vallejo and that seems closer but I'm still looking for something closer still. The plan always was to spray the blue-grey over the white and then brush paint in the brown. Now I suspect touching up will see me repainting most of it by hand. That said the current scheme mostly works as a template so not effort wasted.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2021, 06:52:11 AM »
Just for Akula whose thread on this board has been inspirational.

This is not part of the Berlin project but it may see some use in the BAOR one.

In the early '80s the Hawk T1As of the Tactical Weapons Units were dual roled with an emergency war time role, principally as Air Defence of the UK. The idea was that a Phantom or Tornado would supply the radar guidance and the Sidewinder equipped Hawks would act as cut price interceptors. Anyway the training squadrons were formed as 'shadow squadrons' and given the instructors would have been some of the RAF's better pilots it probably would have been a worthwhile exercise. The Hawks were also used for air to ground weapons training and I suppose if the Harrier attrition was high enough they could have been used as proxy ground attack aircraft.

A few years ago I bought the kids some Airfix Quickbuild kits. They are essentially Airfix's answer to Lego, being constructed from Lego like pieces. They've long since disappeared but I remembered that they were fun to put together and looked pretty accurate, given the constraints of the medium. the Hawk as it happens scales out to 1/55 so naturally I decided I needed one. About 15 minutes faffing about putting it together and then maybe an hour or so's time adding bits from the spares box, painting it and applying decals (not including drying time). It's not a precise scale model so no need to go overboard, just a a fun diversion and who knows, one day it might see some use.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2021, 07:25:07 AM »
I think that Hawk looks sharp.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2021, 12:13:25 PM »
A nice Chipmonk would be good, not forgetting modelling "Sticky Platz" with Mon Cheri complete with bath, a suitable place for elements of 3 Int & Sy Coy to make their last stand!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2021, 02:25:10 PM »
Stuttgarter Platz is a possibility, in fact it’s quite a good idea. Not sure about modelling heart shaped bubble baths though.