Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1/56th scale Gear Krieg Weird War 2 Walkers on the North Ridge!  (Read 5635 times)

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
1/56th scale Gear Krieg Weird War 2 Walkers on the North Ridge!
« on: November 04, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
This is a game project that started right here on this very LAF subject thread, and now it's in print and Dream Pod 9 has announced a new line of up-scaled 1/56th scale 3D print files for its Gear Krieg Weird War 2 mech combat game.

https://store.dp9.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=140_141

The project came together through three gamers and designers who connected over social media (and initially on LAF) to work with DP9 and create a whole new line up of 1/56th scale Gear Krieg “combat walkers” (as mecha in the WW2 “ancestor” setting for the popular Heavy Gear game are called).

1/56th US General Early combat mech (from print file) with Jeep and crew from Company B

”I was a Gear Krieg fan right from the start,” said James Ong. “As soon as I saw DP9’s WW2 mecha designs, I was hooked. The idea to upscale and detail them to 28mm (1/56) came very early to me, and I started to play around with designs – and then contacted Robert DuBois at DP9 and pitched the idea of doing some of the combat walkers as print file products. Robert greenlighted it, and then as I was looking for more inspiration I came across John and Brent’s designs from several years ago and reached out to them.”

“I was thrilled to connect with James,” said John Cunningham. “Gear Krieg is the original Weird War 2 two-fisted pulp superscience setting, I loved it from the start. I’d teamed up with Brent Dietrich at Little Metal Spaceships a few years ago to create some 1/56th scale walkers, so I jumped at the chance to get Gear Krieg back onto the tabletop in 1/56th scale!”

“John and I have done some projects since we first connected, so it was really cool to hook up with James and approach DP9 about creating a broader portfolio of Gear Krieg mechs and accessories,” said Brent Dietrich. “While the weird war category has seen a lot of activity in recent years, to this day Gear Krieg has the best, most authentic weird war feeling – the designers, artists and sculptors did a fantastic job of merging mecha with WW2 technology to create realistic looking combat walkers and a rich technical background.”

DP9 gave the trio the greenlight and they spent months working to produce a portfolio of Gear Krieg combat walkers and accessories. The first four 3D print file kits being offered by DP9 include two US mechs and two German mechs:

US: The General Early  M11A3 light combat walker, and the General Early M11AC1 Command walker
Germany: The Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Mark B/C light combat walker, and the Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Command-Scout combat walker

1/56th scale Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Command-Scout combat walker (from print file)

The designers plan to continue to work with DP9 to produce a broad range of 1/56th scale Gear Krieg walkers, including never-before seen British, Italian and Soviet walkers.

“We’ve also produced a series of accessories to support the Gear Krieg walker line-up,” said Brent. “We’ve created decals for US and German walkers, including detailed walker tactical symbols and personality decals. There’s also a new “Diesel Punk 46” product range also includes some other accessories and complementary WW2 vehicles that fit right into any Weird War setting, like US Tesla gun tanks, the late war German “paper tigers” like the E50 and E25.”

You can get these walker decals and accessories at Little Metal Spaceships: https://littlemetalspaceships.com/collections/diesel-punk-46

More walkers are planned for release, as are more Weird War kits and accessories on Little Metal Spaceships' "Diesel Punk 46" line up.

https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/2021/11/04/1-56th-scale-gear-krieg-weird-war-2-walkers-on-the-north-ridge/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:05:09 PM by SBMiniaturesGuy »
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
Re: 1/56th scale Gear Krieg Weird War 2 Walkers on the North Ridge!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:01:24 PM »
Had a question from another source, asked how these compare to DUST. Gear Krieg pre-dates DUST and they share similar design aesthetics. DUST is great, I use the vehicle figures interchangeably with my Gear Krieg vehicles - but if you want to upscale the print files to 1/48, should be pretty straightforward.

Here you can see a Mickey with a Gear Krieg "M11A3 General Early" walker. The Mickey is like a Sherman compared to the 37mm-armed Early, which is more like a Stuart tank. They are in-game with figures from various sources -- and yes, that's a 28mm WW2 Captain America from my collection!

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »
wait where do you get the tanks?

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 12:54:35 PM »
They're STL files for 3-D printing. Unless DP9 authorizes someone to print and sell.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
Yes, that's right.

And the tanks are the designs of Brent Dietrich (Company B and Little Metal Spaceships) who did a lot of the 3D artwork on these first four Gear Krieg walker file sets. They are available as print files at his store front - https://littlemetalspaceships.com/collections/diesel-punk-46

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 06:14:52 PM »
this is awesome news!

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »
Brent Dietrich posted a picture of the Gear Krieg mechs with some 28mm vehicles and figures from Company B.

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 12:14:17 AM »
Pretty awesome if you have a 3D printer. If not then not so much. But happy for all you guys that do.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 08:12:15 PM »
Well, I have a nephew with a 3D printer, and there's a guy in my local game club with a 3D printer for hire. You should ask around your local game community, bet someone can help get any 3D files you have printed. I've done this to get some Middle Earth terrain printed, some SciFi terrain, etc.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 01:40:00 AM »
Here are some unofficial DUST unit cards if you want to use these walkers with DUST Tactics. I'll also put up stats for other rule systems as well.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 03:01:49 AM by SBMiniaturesGuy »

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 06:59:24 PM »
For those that are interested, I can print these for anyone in the US and Canada who buys the files.  Since I sculpted these and did all the test printing they are ready to go. https://littlemetalspaceships.com/

Just send a proof of purchase.

I have no issues sending overseas, but as most are aware shipping is no longer cheap.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 08:35:10 PM »
Using your 1/56th scale Gear Krieg Walkers with Konflikt ’47
Gear Krieg is of course a great rule set that feeds into the future history of the Heavy Gear universe. In this article are the unofficial K-47 unit cards for the first four 1/56th scale Gear Krieg releases.

https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/2021/11/20/using-your-1-56th-scale-gear-krieg-walkers-with-konflikt-47/

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2021, 10:19:28 PM »
Two new Gear Krieg walkers are on the way, in final layout - the US General Longstreet medium walker and the German Loki Mk IV walker. Stay tuned!

US General Longstreet M12A1

German Loki Mk IV Ausf A

Offline wolivant

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 06:44:08 PM »
Awesome eye candy, thanks, regards Wolt

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »
Huzzah,  the next two Gear Krieg mechs are live now at DP9! It's exciting to see stuff you worked on go public!

Gear Krieg Walker – US General Longstreet M12A1 and M12A3 Combat Walker
American walker designers realized early in the War that they needed a heavier, more survivable medium Walker — but one that could still be transported easily and be reliable. The Detroit motor works designed the M12 General Longstreet, with hevaier armor and chassis and wheels for mobility. The initial production model, the M12A1, used the same 37mm gun as the M11 Early Walker and a hull mounted .30cal MMG, but was soon upgunned to remain effective against the ever-evolving designs of the Axis powers. The M12A3 was armed with a 57mm M1 cannon. Some 12,000 Longstreet variants saw combat on all fronts from North Africa to the beaches of the Pacific theater, and served in all Allied armies.

Gear Krieg Walker – German PzKpf IV Loki Ausf A Command/Scout Walker & Ausf  C combat walker
The Loki design was based on the original 1926 Christy Walker chassis, secretly purchased by Germany, which tested three variants (the Panzkerkampfer MkI, MkII and MkIII) before putting the PzKpf IV Ausf A into production in 1934. The Loki first saw combat during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1938), where its light armor and twin MG34s were outmatched by anything except infantry and light vehicles. While it was not a good assault vehicle, it’s maneuverability and versatility made it an excellent command/scout vehicle. The Loki was a solid, easy to produce and maintain vehicle that saw constant upgrades until production ceased in 1943.

The Loki PzKpf IV Ausf C Combat Walker featured the 2cm KwK30 autocannon and manipulator arms. The durability of the Ausf C was improved adding armor to reinforce the front, and attach points that made the walker both glider- and air-droppable. As a result, a number of Loki Ausf C were used during Operation Mercury – the famous Fallschirmjager attack on Crete.

https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/2021/12/21/us-longstreet-and-german-loki-combat-walkers-for-1-56th-gear-krieg-weird-war-2/

https://www.dp9.com/2021/12/21/new-gear-krieg-3d-model-stl-files-available-and-using-reward-points-on-the-dp9-online-store-example/