Forum > Weird Wars

1/56th scale Gear Krieg Weird War 2 Walkers on the North Ridge!

(1/5) > >>

SBMiniaturesGuy:
This is a game project that started right here on this very LAF subject thread, and now it's in print and Dream Pod 9 has announced a new line of up-scaled 1/56th scale 3D print files for its Gear Krieg Weird War 2 mech combat game.

https://store.dp9.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=140_141

The project came together through three gamers and designers who connected over social media (and initially on LAF) to work with DP9 and create a whole new line up of 1/56th scale Gear Krieg “combat walkers” (as mecha in the WW2 “ancestor” setting for the popular Heavy Gear game are called).

1/56th US General Early combat mech (from print file) with Jeep and crew from Company B

”I was a Gear Krieg fan right from the start,” said James Ong. “As soon as I saw DP9’s WW2 mecha designs, I was hooked. The idea to upscale and detail them to 28mm (1/56) came very early to me, and I started to play around with designs – and then contacted Robert DuBois at DP9 and pitched the idea of doing some of the combat walkers as print file products. Robert greenlighted it, and then as I was looking for more inspiration I came across John and Brent’s designs from several years ago and reached out to them.”

“I was thrilled to connect with James,” said John Cunningham. “Gear Krieg is the original Weird War 2 two-fisted pulp superscience setting, I loved it from the start. I’d teamed up with Brent Dietrich at Little Metal Spaceships a few years ago to create some 1/56th scale walkers, so I jumped at the chance to get Gear Krieg back onto the tabletop in 1/56th scale!”

“John and I have done some projects since we first connected, so it was really cool to hook up with James and approach DP9 about creating a broader portfolio of Gear Krieg mechs and accessories,” said Brent Dietrich. “While the weird war category has seen a lot of activity in recent years, to this day Gear Krieg has the best, most authentic weird war feeling – the designers, artists and sculptors did a fantastic job of merging mecha with WW2 technology to create realistic looking combat walkers and a rich technical background.”

DP9 gave the trio the greenlight and they spent months working to produce a portfolio of Gear Krieg combat walkers and accessories. The first four 3D print file kits being offered by DP9 include two US mechs and two German mechs:

US: The General Early  M11A3 light combat walker, and the General Early M11AC1 Command walker
Germany: The Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Mark B/C light combat walker, and the Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Command-Scout combat walker

1/56th scale Valkyrie PzKpf V Valkyrie Command-Scout combat walker (from print file)

The designers plan to continue to work with DP9 to produce a broad range of 1/56th scale Gear Krieg walkers, including never-before seen British, Italian and Soviet walkers.

“We’ve also produced a series of accessories to support the Gear Krieg walker line-up,” said Brent. “We’ve created decals for US and German walkers, including detailed walker tactical symbols and personality decals. There’s also a new “Diesel Punk 46” product range also includes some other accessories and complementary WW2 vehicles that fit right into any Weird War setting, like US Tesla gun tanks, the late war German “paper tigers” like the E50 and E25.”

You can get these walker decals and accessories at Little Metal Spaceships: https://littlemetalspaceships.com/collections/diesel-punk-46

More walkers are planned for release, as are more Weird War kits and accessories on Little Metal Spaceships' "Diesel Punk 46" line up.

https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/2021/11/04/1-56th-scale-gear-krieg-weird-war-2-walkers-on-the-north-ridge/

SBMiniaturesGuy:
Had a question from another source, asked how these compare to DUST. Gear Krieg pre-dates DUST and they share similar design aesthetics. DUST is great, I use the vehicle figures interchangeably with my Gear Krieg vehicles - but if you want to upscale the print files to 1/48, should be pretty straightforward.

Here you can see a Mickey with a Gear Krieg "M11A3 General Early" walker. The Mickey is like a Sherman compared to the 37mm-armed Early, which is more like a Stuart tank. They are in-game with figures from various sources -- and yes, that's a 28mm WW2 Captain America from my collection!

Tom Dulski:
wait where do you get the tanks?

Schogun:
They're STL files for 3-D printing. Unless DP9 authorizes someone to print and sell.

SBMiniaturesGuy:
Yes, that's right.

And the tanks are the designs of Brent Dietrich (Company B and Little Metal Spaceships) who did a lot of the 3D artwork on these first four Gear Krieg walker file sets. They are available as print files at his store front - https://littlemetalspaceships.com/collections/diesel-punk-46

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version