Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KS] Monsterpocalypse Board Game  (Read 625 times)

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
[KS] Monsterpocalypse Board Game
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:27:17 PM »
"This is a board game version of the classic skirmish game and aims to give the same feeling as the original, while making it more accessible and “ready to pick and play”. Choose your agenda between the Protectors and the Destroyers, lead your units into the city and hunt down your opponent, wreaking havoc in all that stand in your way!"

MonPoc's been through two versions. First, a prepainted collectile mini's game, then a metal one. This unpainted plastic KS is compatible with the second version. The pitch is that it's less expensive than the metal version (and there's no blind purchasing), but it's still gonna be expensive, especially if you go all-in. You play with only two monsters per game, so, imo, the core set and SG's should keep most casual players satisfied. Although the game has multiple factions, you can play the "good" ones together, and the "bad" ones together. Core game is for two players (1v1, solo, coop). Battle Royale is for 3-4 players, and adds Apex monsters as enemies for coop, or bigger monsters for regular play. With this being day three, one dual-faction add-on has been revealed.

Game rules are based on the existing Privateer Press Monster Apocalypse v.2 rules. KS is run by Mythic Games. (Better than the reverse, imo!) I assume plastics are made in China, which has had some economic instability, energy shortages, supply chain issues, and shipping issues. The game won't be delivered for at least a year, so obviously today's shipping issues may not affect delivery. But, speaking of shipping, the core box *is* large, and shipping starts at $35. I wouldn't be surprised if shipping prices were higher. You can pledge $1 but won't receive the KSE Mythic building (no big loss).

Other kaiju boardgames exist, including an officially licensed Godzilla one. Mythic has not said if this game will be available retail. I wouldn't be surprised if the discounts expected by distributors make this and other high-end KS games difficult for retail. Also, the high MSRP may keep FLGS customers from picking up the game (much easier to sell $150 of Magic cards than a $150 boardgame, imo).

Three days into the campaign, and they've unlocked about half as many monsters as in the core box!

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: [KS] Monsterpocalypse Board Game
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 04:05:02 AM »
Not a fan, but why was I under the impression that Monsterpocalypse was always a board game?  Wasn't it played on city tiles or something?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 06:59:50 AM »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 02:59:02 PM »
Not a fan, but why was I under the impression that Monsterpocalypse was always a board game?  Wasn't it played on city tiles or something?

Privateer has always insisted it was a minis game, albeit one played on a gridded map.  It was originally a "collectable miniatures game" (ie sold in random packaging) ala Dreamblade or Heroclix (which also use gridded maps) and is currently a non-randomly packed just-plain-miniatures game (and still uses gridded maps).  I'm cynical enough to think this new thing is being branded as a board game solely because overall board games are outselling miniatures games by several orders of magnitude these days.

The line between "board game that uses minis for pieces instead of counters" and "proper miniatures game" is pretty blurry these days anyway.  Look at Deadzone - that's clearly a minis game by any reasonable definition, but it uses a gridded map and somewhat abstracted movement and combat mechanics to go with it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »
Ah, okay.  Thought maybe I was going crazy. lol