Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686460
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 28mm Battle of Paoli Battle Report Page 2 (12 Dec 22).  (Read 3595 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Well, the World at War wargames event went off at Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA without a hitch this Saturday past.  We ran our AWI games, playtested as shown in the "Somewhere in New York 1777..." thread.  Let's just say the games Saturday went very differently that the playtests...I'll be posting illustrated AARs within the next couple days. Stay tuned...  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:39:03 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: AWI games at Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA - AARs added 09 Nov 21.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
Okay, here we go!  The World at War, a small wargames event, was held at Fort Meigs, in Perrysburg, Ohio, USA this Saturday past.  A wargaming friend and I both ran AWI games, using essentially the same scenarios, only different scales and rules.  He did his game in 28mm, and used Black Powder rules.  I did mine in 20mm, and used Saratoga Soldiers (an AWI variant of the Gettysburg Soldiers ACW rules).  As I mentioned, I did AARs on our playtests for these games, below in the "Somewhere in new York, 1777..." thread.  In both the playtests, the Continentals beat the British, in one game quite badly.  In our event games, the Continentals would not have it so easy...

As mentioned in the playtest thread, the games involved a fictional scenario, where 2 British brigades (one primarily British, and the other primarily Hessian - well, Brunswickers really) encounter 2 American brigades (both with Continentals and Militia) north of Albany, NY in the run-up to the Battles of Saratoga in 1777.

The first game (Saturday morning) was my friend's, in 28mm.  He had a player for each of the brigades, and I played the Hessian Brigade.  Game 1 Pics 1 - 4 below show the brigades.

Both British Brigades started by moving forward, as did the left continental Brigade.  The Continental Right Brigade kept the Militia along the farm lane fence, and moved his Continentals up along a road to try to flank the British left flank.  The Hessian Brigade and the Continental left Brigade moved on each other in the woods on their side of the field, with the Jagers and Loyalist rangers trading fire with the American Riflemen and Militia.  The British Brigade moved up to their fence along the farm lane, and engaged the Militia on the far side of the farm lane. 

Meanwhile, in the woods, the Hessian and Loyalist battalions moved up to support their skirmishers, while the Continentals moved up to support the Riflemen and their Militia.  And the Continentals continued moving up on the British left flank.

In those woods, the Jagers, Rangers, Riflemen, and Militia made way for the Hessian, Loyalist and Continental battalions to form line and go at each other.  Unfortunately, a Continental battalion was able to catch the Hessians with their proverbial pants down, and a Continental battalion charged 2 hessian Battalions while they were still in Column.  That combat ended the fight for the Continental battalion and one of the Hessian battalions, but one Hessian battalion survived to later form line and continue the fight.

On the British left, the 3 Continental battalions coming up the road on the British left flank formed line to press their attack.  But the British had been able to move 3 battalions (grenadiers, light bobs, and line) over the meet that threat.

On both sides of the field, as regulars fought regulars, the British, Hessian, and Loyalist musketry got the better of the Continental musketry, and soon both Continental Brigades had broken.  Good thing, as the Hessian Brigade was on near the breaking point.  But the British Brigade was still in fairly good shape.  the British had won the field!   

game 1 Pics 5-8 below show the beginning stages of the fight.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 08:43:08 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:20 PM »
And Game 2 Pics 9-13 below are the last half of the 28mm battle.  And I'll post the Saturday afternoon game (the 20mm game) AAR this evening.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 10:48:07 PM »
And here is the AAR from my 20mm Saratoga Soldiers game Saturday afternoon.  Again, as mentioned in the playtest thread, the games involved a fictional scenario, where 2 British brigades (one primarily British, and the other primarily Hessian - well, Brunswickers really) encounter 2 American brigades (both with Continentals and Militia) north of Albany, NY in the run-up to the Battles of Saratoga in 1777.

I had a player for each of the brigades (including me), and I played the British Brigade this time.  Game 2 Pics 1 - 4 below show the brigades.

As with the 28mm game, Both British Brigades started by moving forward, as did the left continental Brigade.  The Continental Right Brigade kept the Militia along the farm lane fence (even advancing them across the lane to their far fence), and moved his Continentals up along a road to try to attack the British left flank.  The Hessian Brigade and the Continental left Brigade moved on each other in the woods on their side of the field, with the Jagers screening the Hessians and trading fire with the American Riflemen and Militia.  The British Brigade moved up to engage the Militia in the farm lane.

Meanwhile, in the woods, the Hessian and Loyalist battalions moved up to support their Jagers, while the Continentals moved up to support the Riflemen and their Militia.  And the Continentals continued moving up on the British left flank.

In those woods, the Jagers, Riflemen, and Militia made way for the Hessian, Loyalist and Continental battalions to form line and go at each other.  The Hessians and Loyalists went right at it, formed a good line of battle, and began driving the Continentals before them.

On the British left, the 3 Continental battalions coming up the road on the British left flank formed line to press their attack.  Meanwhile, a battalion of Highlanders and a unit of dismounted Brunswick Dragoons drove an American Militia battalion out of the farm at the center of the field.  The British artillery battery set up on the road between the British and Hessian Brigades destroyed a Continental battery opposite them, and pivoted left to face the Continental threat from the left.  Unfortunately, the Highlander battalion masked their fire as the Highlanders turned from the farm, and swept down the farm lane, sending another American Militia battalion fleeing to the rear.   

The British Brigade had 3 battalions up front (a battalion each of foot and grenadiers, supported by another foot battalion) to face the Continentals threatening their left flank, with the Highlanders, fresh from their charges straddling the farm lane to their right.  A Continental battalion sent a deadly volley into the Highlanders, causing heavy casualties and making the Highlanders retreat off the line.  In a case of "be careful what you wish for", the Highlanders' retreat unmasked the British guns, who proceeded to pour fire into the Continentals on the British left flank.     

On both sides of the field, as regulars fought regulars, the British, Hessian, and Loyalist musketry got the better of the Continental musketry.  The Hessians steadily drove the Continentals facing them out of the woods.  And the British, having stabilized their lines, fired successive deadly volleys into the Continental lines.  Soon both Continental Brigades had broken.  The British Brigade was battered a bit but still had some fight left in them.  And the Hessian Brigade was still in good shape.  The British had won the field again!

Between the playtests and the convention games, both sides won a game each of both scales/rulesets.  Sounds like a reasonably balanced scenario to me!     

Game 2 Pics 5-8 below show the beginning stages of the fight.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 01:10:33 AM »
Very nicely done..love Ft. Meigs...My Burgoyne army is 0 and 13...sigh..but I love em.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:25 PM »
Thanks, juergen!  We had a blast, both in the playtests and the convention games.

We use our AWI armies for all the the theatres of the war.  It might put button-counters in a tizzy, but it works for us...and the fortunes of war take turns favoring our British and Rebel armies... ;)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI games planned for Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 06:15:58 PM »
It's back to the AWI for me again.  I'm planning on running some AWI games at the World at War convention at Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA November 4-5.  I'll be running the same game twice, and it's 20mm using Saratoga Soldiers (the AWI variant of Gettysburg Soldiers).

It will be the Battle of Springs Mill, a fictional battle set in the southern campaign in 1781, but inspired by the ACW Battle of Mill Springs.  In my scenario, the British take the Union's place, while the Americans take the Confederate place.

Here's my planned order of battle:

Battle of Spring’s Mill
British Information

Mission:  Defend and hold the bridge and fords.

Commanding General – Lt. Gen. Cornwallis   A, Turn 1 (w/O’Hara)   

British Legion Dragoons   4 stands                      Deployed

1st Brigade - Lt. Col Webster (Good)                      Deployed
     23rd Regt. of Foot          6 stands                           “
     33rd Regt. of Foot          5 stands                                 “

2nd Brigade – Col. O’Hara (Good)                     A, Turn 1
     Grenadiers Battalion   8 stands   Grenadiers       “
     Light Infantry Battalion   6 stands   Light Infantry       “
     Artillery                   2 stands                      “

3rd Brigade – Maj. Gen. Leslie                    A or B, Turn 3
     Regiment von Bose   6 stands                         “
     British Legion Infantry   5 stands                         “
     North Carolina Loyalist Vol.   5 stands                 “
     Artillery                    1 stand                                “

Battle of Spring’s Mill
American Information

Mission:  Attack and seize bridge and fords.

Commanding General – Maj. Gen. Greene (Good)   Deployed (w/Huger)   

Lee’s Legion Dragoons           4 stands                C, 2d6 @ turn # or under
1st/3rd Continental Dragoons   4 stands                With Lee’s Dragoons

1st Brigade – Brig. Gen. Huger                          W/in 6” of C, Deployed
     1st Maryland Infantry           5 stands                             “
     2nd Maryland Infantry           5 stands                             “
     4th Virginia Infantry           5 stands                             “
     5th Virginia Infantry           5 stands                             “
     Artillery                           2 stands                              “

2nd Brigade – Gen. Stevens                                 C, Turn 3
     Lawson’s Virginia Militia   7 stands                                     “
     Steven’s Virginia Militia   6 stands                                     “
     Eaton’s N. Carolina Militia   7 stands        Militia                  “
     Butler’s N. Carolina Militia   7 stands        Militia                  “
     Artillery                             1 stand                             “

Off course, I will post an illustrated AAR once I run the games....

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI games planned for Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
My gaming group is going to playtest this scenario tomorrow (Wednesday).  While setting up for it, I made some a few adjustments to the terrain.  Mostly because I felt like it!  :D

Here are the British and American scenario sheets, with the adjusted terrain. 

A couple notes, should anyone feel like playing this scenario out.

1.  As mentioned above, this scenario is set up for Saratoga Soldiers.  It can be converted to other rules easily enough.
2.  One stand in these rules is about 50 men.  For rules that have a set figures-to-men ratio, converting is easy enough.  For others, like Black Powder for example, 4 stands is a small unit.  5-6 stands would be a standard unit.  And 7-8 stands would be a large unit.
4.  Artillery stands in Saratoga Soldiers represent a pair of guns.  If my collection permitted it, I would have 2 full 4-gun batteries each side. 
4.  The cavalry are not brigaded.  They should be able to operate independently (like using the Marauder rule in Black Powder, for example).
5.  Saratoga Soldiers does not rate generals.  Feel free to rate them as you see fit in whatever rules you might use.
6.  In other rules, the British Grenadiers and Light Bobs should be elite or otherwise above-average in quality.  The 2 smaller American militia units should be below-average in quality.  The 2 militia units that are average have a good number of ex-continentals in them, or are otherwise well-trained.

That oughta do it.  I'll post an AAR after tomorrow's game.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI Playtest Game Info (18 Oct 22).
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 07:02:36 PM »
We did indeed play this scenario out this Wednesday past.  Before I go into the events of the day, here's just a smidge of background.

I set the scenario in the Carolinas in 1781.  As Lt. Col. Webster and Gen. Huger are present, it must be before Guilford Courthouse.  But not much before, as the trees are leafed out... :)

The armies got close to each other, across a river, and Gen. Greene took a brigade of Continentals under Gen. Huger and a brigade of Militia under Gen. Stevens, as well as some dragoons and artillery, north to cross that river and try to catch Lord Cornwallis' rearguard.

Cornwallis, having received word of Greene's movements, moves south with Col. O'Hara and the flank battalions, and Gen Leslie with Hessians and Loyalist infantry.  He intends to reinforce Lt. Col. Webster and his 2 Regiments who are stationed at the river.  Loyalist Dragoons are at the river, as well.

That's the set-up.  Gene and Ted played the Americans, while I played the British, etc.  As a reminder, it was a 20mm affair, using Saratoga Soldiers rules.  And away we go...

Part 1:  Ok - Everyone's here now...?

"Your Grace, Lt. Col. Webster wishes to inform you that he is crossing the river, and will defend the crossing from the south side.  He also wishes to inform you that the Loyalist cavalry has also crossed at the Springs Mill bridge, and will screen his left flank." the courier reported.

"Damn that man!" Lord Cornwallis replied.  "His orders were clear - DEFEND the crossings, not USE them..."  To the courier: "Very well then.  Tell him to do the best he can.  I will have him some help straightaway."

"Yes, Your Grace", said the courier, as he turned about, and rode off south toward the river.

Meanwhile, back at the river, at the west ford to be precise, Lt. Col. Webster was indeed leading his Regiments (the 23rd and 33rd) across the west ford, and the Loyalist cavalry was crossing the bridge at Springs Mill to screen south of that sleepy little village.  But there would be more activity around Springs Mill.  Much more.

As Lord Cornwallis and Col. O'Hara led the Grenadier and Light Battalions, along with artillery south down the main road, Maj. Gen. Greene and Brig. Gen. Huger led a Brigade of Maryland and Virginia Continentals north along the Springs Mill Pike.  As the British reinforcements headed south toward the west ford, Greene had the Maryland Continentals and 4th Virginian Continentals move left toward the west ford.  The 5th Virginia and the artillery, under Huger, moved left toward Springs Mill.  Then they saw the loyalist cavalry deploying into line not 300 yards to their north. 

The 5th Virginia and the artillery deployed and the artillery fired on the loyalist cavalry.  Over at the west ford, the 23rd and 33rd Regiments of Foot deployed into line south of the ford, and faced off against the 1st and 2nd Maryland Continentals.

And, more troops had come onto the field.  Coming down the main road from the north, Maj. Gen. Leslie led the Regiment von Bose, the Loyalist legion Infantry, and the North Carolina Volunteers, along with a pair of guns.  And coming up the Springs Mill Pike, Gen. Stevens led 4 regiments of Virginia and North Carolina Militia, with a pair of guns as well.

By now, everyone who was to play a part in this battle was present.  And it would get very interesting...

... to be continued in part 2. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:32:05 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI Playtest Battle Report Part 1 (22 Oct 22).
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 07:04:41 PM »
Flippin excellent!  :-*

Those printed mats do make things much easier when it comes to defining where different terrain types start and end.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI Playtest Battle Report Part 1 (22 Oct 22).
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 11:23:51 PM »
Flippin excellent!  :-*

Those printed mats do make things much easier when it comes to defining where different terrain types start and end.

Thanks!

And those mats certainly do the trick!  Gotta get me a couple more...and now on to part 2...

Part 2:  Send in the Grenadiers!

As I mentioned, by now all the troops were on the field.  Lt. Col. Webster and the 23rd and 33rd Regiments were locked in a musket duel with the 1st and 2nd Maryland Continentals.  Col. O'Hara was bringing the Grenadiers, Light Infantry, and 4 guns down to support the fight at the west ford, and Gen. Leslie was ordered to take his Brigade left toward the bridge.  South of Springs Mill, the Loyalist cavalry was single-handedly blocking the way to the bridge, and was causing some confusion for the American Militia Brigade simply by being in the way...

Things progressed from there.  Across the west ford, Leslie led his 2 regiments in a bayonet charge against the Marylanders.  But the Marylanders were made of sturdy stuff, and held!

And over south of Springs Mill, the Loyalist cavalry went in among the Continental artillery.  It took them 2 charges to take the guns, but those two charges spent them, and they would take no more part in the fight.  They did their job, though - they delayed the Militia Brigade for a while.  And the confusion got worse, as the American Dragoons showed up, riding up the Springs Mill Pike right up behind the Militia Brigade.

At the west ford, the 23rd and 33rd Regiments reformed themselves, while the Marylanders did the same.  While that was happening, the British Grenadiers crossed over the river at the ford, followed by the Light Infantry, and formed line just south of the river.  And they charged the remnants of the Marylanders in the flank, but were charged in their own flank by the 4th Virginia Continentals...

Meanwhile, the American Militia Brigade and the American Dragoons got moving toward the bridge.  But Gen. Leslie would get there first, and formed his Brigade up to meet the Americans as they crossed the bridge.  Col. Washington's 1st/3rd Continental Dragoons crossed first right after that, formed line, and got "a whiff of grape" from the pair of British guns for their troubles...

Back to the Grenadiers and the charge...the Continentals held!  They weren't going anywhere without a fight!  The Grenadiers had to retreat back down the hill behind the Light Infantry to reform. 

But as it turned out, the fight at the west ford was not over, by any means.  And the fight at the bridge was just heating up...

To be continued in Part 3...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI Playtest Battle Report Part 2 (22 Oct 22).
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 05:28:05 PM »
And now, for our final chapter:

Part 3:  This is the End...

Over south of the west ford, the Grenadiers had just been pushed back by the Marylanders and Virginians.  It was now the Light Bob's turn unto the breach...and in they went, led by Col. O'Hara, while the Grenadiers reformed behind them.  The Lights would have their way with those pesky Continentals though, destroying the 1st Marylanders and pushing the 5th Virginians back.  While that bayonet charge was going in, the guns of the Royal Artillery pummeled the 4th Virginia.  But is was not all fame and glory for the British.  Col O'Hara went down in the thick of the fight, perhaps felled by a musket ball.  But that seemed to get the blood up for the Lights and the Grenadiers.  They pushed the remains of the Continental troops up and off the hill, with the whittled-down 33rd Regiment reformed and on their right.  Three of the 4 Continental Regiments were sent running back toward the Springs Mill Pike, with only Gens. Greene and Huger and the remnants of the 5th Virginia acting as a rear guard.  But somewhere in there, Lt. Col. Webster also went down, likely at the point of a bayonet.   Seeing his Colonels down, Lord Cornwallis rode over to take personal command of the British right.  Just then, he received a courier from Gen. Leslie, whose men hade become engaged over at the bridge.

This was his report:

After taking that "whiff of grape", the American Dragoons charged the Regiment von Bose and the pair of British guns, who had deployed into line leading Gen. Leslie's Brigade.  While the Hessians took a few casualties, the Continental Dragoons were sent packing.  Then came Lawson's Virginia Militia over the bridge, who immediately formed line, and received a devastating volley of musket ball and cannister.  They broke straightaway, many of them jumping into the river and trying to swim across, as the way across the bridge was blocked by Steven's Virginia Militia.  Steven's men then came across the bridge and formed line, followed by Eaton's N. Carolina Militia.  And the American and British guns fired at each other, with the British guns taken out of action.  The Hessians took more casualties, and Gen. Leslie had his 2 Loyalist Infantry Battalions move up on line, taking the pressure off of the Regiment von Bose.  Another devastating volley sent Eaton's Militia reeling, and they too took to the river as Butler's men blocked the way on the bridge.  Somewhere in all that, Lee's Dragoons rode across the bridge ,and they too were sent on their way.

Lord Cornwallis considered his next move.  Night was falling, Gen. Leslie was taking care of business at the bridge, and his men had swept the Continental Brigade from the field.  Surely, Gen. Greene would see that the gig was up.

And Gen. Greene did indeed see that.   With nothing besides darkness to stop the British Light Infantry and Grenadiers from moving to cut off what was left of his Militia brigade, he sent orders to them to retreat back across the bridge and south back along the Springs Mill Pike.  The Battle of Springs Mill was over.

The British had decisively taken the west ford and shattered some of Greene's best troops, albeit at the expense of the 23rd Regiment, and Cols. O'Hara and Webster.  And while the American Militia had taken the bridge, with Gen. Leslie's brigade giving better than it got, they would not be able to hold it.  So, while perhaps at worst for the British a tactical draw, it was a definite (and somewhat expensive) British strategic victory.

Presuming Guildford Courthouse would still take place, this Battle of Springs Mill would certainly have an effect on that.  On both sides... 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 05:31:43 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well, I did indeed run this scenario twice at The World at War game convention at Fort Meigs in Ohio, USA last weekend (04/05 Nov.).  Had 3 players in the first game (1 British and 2 American), and 2 players in the second game (one each side).  Here's how the games went...

Game 1

The British sent Lt. Col. Webster and the 23rd and 33rd Regiments across the west ford.  The Americans sent the Continental Brigade north toward Springs Mill.  The British also had their Lights and Grenadiers come on the field down the main road from the north.  The Loyalist Dragoons crossed the bridge to try to hold up the Continentals.

As those units continued on their respective ways, the Hessian/Loyalist Brigade come down from the north heading straight for the east ford.  And the American Militia Brigade came up the Springs Mill Pike and veered west to attack the British Regulars near the west ford.  The Loyalist Dragoons charged the Continentals, but were eventually repulsed.  They did hold up the Continentals enough, however, to buy time for the Hessians and Loyalist Infantry to cross the east ford.

The British Lights and artillery headed toward the bridge, while the Grenadiers headed toward the west ford.

The battle devolved into 2 fights.  The British 23rd, 33rd and Grenadiers versus the American Militia below the west ford, and the Hessians, Loyalists, Lights and artillery against the Continentals at Springs Mill and the Bridge.  The Continental Dragoons finally appeared, but had no real effect on the battle.  Both fights swung in favor of the British, and the Americans conceded the field before nightfall.

I'll describe the 2nd game in my next post, later today or tomorrow... 

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
Re: CapnJim's AWI Stuff: 20mm AWI at World at War - Game 1 Report (13 Nov 22).
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 07:29:29 PM »
A great looking game! Ireally like the terrain too, what kind of a battlemat are you using?